When hes good he's very very good....

Zana

May 12, 2016
But when he is bad he is awful..

Its been a while with OH on this level but I think.. No I know he has taken a step down. His language skills are worse , his obession with routine is worse , his memory is worse and his temper and behaviour are much worse and the outside world is being shunned more and more.

We can do things if we do them together but he needs to have an outing planned like a child. He still wont tell people whats wrong and I must admit so far everyone we have told from medical professionals to a couple of neighbours have treated him appalingly.

We have transformed our garage into a sort of pub and he sits at his bar and watches old tv shows or music via you tube. Most days he knows how to do it but sometimes he will yell that the computer is broken and its just that he hasnt moved the mouse or maybe forgotten to turn the screen on.
Films are out of the question he forgets halfway through who's who so he wanders off.

Although he doesnt put things in the wrong place he will often say things like 'please put the eggs in the dishwasher' or 'can you get the bread out of the washing machine' (he means freezer, its next to the washer) .. This morning he asked if the dogs leprechaun towel could go into the washing (its green)..
Not understanding is greeted with temper flares so most of the time I say ýes dear 'and just try to work out what he means.

Facial expressins are getting tricky every expression except a broad smile is a 'screwed up face' to him and greeted with major temper outbursts, screaming swearing and orders to leave..

Ive given up work to care for him full time Ive changed my routine to make him happy including getting up at 6.30 am 7 days a week. Even Christmas day! Because this suits his routine.

My daughter is here once a week so I get to go out one afternoon a week shopping with a friend.

If we are out with the dog he is ok and he still loves food Ive even caught him watching tv cookery shows.. His technical skills are still good but he isnt really interested anymore.

So on the days that things go his way and I remember to smile a lot we get on alright but if not.. Oh dear tempers flare he yells, I cry, he forgets all about it after 10 mnutes and Im left feeling like Ive been run over by a truck.

But this is FTD not alzhiemers so there is no day care , no help, no support specifically for FTD here. Hes 60 the majority of facilites are aimed at 75+ we have a case worker but alhough she is good she cannot provide what isnt there. No point to this little rant really but Im here he has fallen asleep in the chair worn out by his latest outburst and Im just wondering whats the point of anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guzelle

Aug 27, 2016
Sheffield
But when he is bad he is awful..

Its been a while with OH on this level but I think.. No I know he has taken a step down. His language skills are worse , his obession with routine is worse , his memory is worse and his temper and behaviour are much worse and the outside world is being shunned more and more.

We can do things if we do them together but he needs to have an outing planned like a child. He still wont tell people whats wrong and I must admit so far everyone we have told from medical professionals to a couple of neighbours have treated him appalingly.

We have transformed our garage into a sort of pub and he sits at his bar and watches old tv shows or music via you tube. Most days he knows how to do it but sometimes he will yell that the computer is broken and its just that he hasnt moved the mouse or maybe forgotten to turn the screen on.
Films are out of the question he forgets halfway through who's who so he wanders off.

Although he doesnt put things in the wrong place he will often say things like 'please put the eggs in the dishwasher' or 'can you get the bread out of the washing machine' (he means freezer, its next to the washer) .. This morning he asked if the dogs leprechaun towel could go into the washing (its green)..
Not understanding is greeted with temper flares so most of the time I say ýes dear 'and just try to work out what he means.

Facial expressins are getting tricky every expression except a broad smile is a 'screwed up face' to him and greeted with major temper outbursts, screaming swearing and orders to leave..

Ive given up work to care for him full time Ive changed my routine to make him happy including getting up at 6.30 am 7 days a week. Even Christmas day! Because this suits his routine.

My daughter is here once a week so I get to go out one afternoon a week shopping with a friend.

If we are out with the dog he is ok and he still loves food Ive even caught him watching tv cookery shows.. His technical skills are still good but he isnt really interested anymore.

So on the days that things go his way and I remember to smile a lot we get on alright but if not.. Oh dear tempers flare he yells, I cry, he forgets all about it after 10 mnutes and Im left feeling like Ive been run over by a truck.

But this is FTD not alzhiemers so there is no day care , no help, no support specifically for FTD here. Hes 60 the majority of facilites are aimed at 75+ we have a case worker but alhough she is good she cannot provide what isnt there. No point to this little rant really but Im here he has fallen asleep in the chair worn out by his latest outburst and Im just wondering whats the point of anything.
I am going through the same as you although my husband is 20 years older than yours and has vascular dementia and Alzheimer’s. I put the rat pack on from you tube it keeps him quite for a while. He can’t do it himself, he says I am a bad teacher that’s why he never learns anything! I work 3 days per week term time and he is ok with that sometimes, other times he’s not. I won’t finish work as It’s a break for me. OH did go to day care once a week but we had to pay, he got fed up with it and now won’t go. The day care does seem to be geared up more for women from what I have seen.
I don’t think there is any medication for FTD.

My OH wants to go out every day and gets bored if not. He complains he has no friends but hates everyone. One friend who he was rude to last time he saw him has now died, now he’s sad he hasn’t seen him. But he can’t remember anything about it!

Zana

May 12, 2016
I am going through the same as you although my husband is 20 years older than yours and has vascular dementia and Alzheimer’s. I put the rat pack on from you tube it keeps him quite for a while. He can’t do it himself, he says I am a bad teacher that’s why he never learns anything! I work 3 days per week term time and he is ok with that sometimes, other times he’s not. I won’t finish work as It’s a break for me. OH did go to day care once a week but we had to pay, he got fed up with it and now won’t go. The day care does seem to be geared up more for women from what I have seen.
I don’t think there is any medication for FTD.

My OH wants to go out every day and gets bored if not. He complains he has no friends but hates everyone. One friend who he was rude to last time he saw him has now died, now he’s sad he hasn’t seen him. But he can’t remember anything about it!

Last edited:

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
This is certainly a ‘me too’ thread. Much of what you describe I recognise, but not all because it’s different for different people. I always post when I feel so upset, angry, frustrated because it helps to relieve my feelings.

Zana

May 12, 2016
This is certainly a ‘me too’ thread. Much of what you describe I recognise, but not all because it’s different for different people. I always post when I feel so upset, angry, frustrated because it helps to relieve my feelings.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne2024