restlessness

madamet

Jun 3, 2014
My husband is always restless as if he is searching for something he can't find. He only seems to calm down once he is in bed.
My presence seems to make it worse.
I feel so sad about this and don't know what I can do to help him.

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
My husband is always restless as if he is searching for something he can't find. He only seems to calm down once he is in bed.
Your post struck a nerve in me. My husband is in a wheelchair due to Freezing of Gait. His arms aren't strong enough where he can push himself (again part of his physical disease) so we got a battery operated one. But, he'll be sitting in it and he begins to travel around. If I ask where he's going (because I'll be glad to go get what he is searching for) he says, "I don't know." I do think he is becoming restless. Oh joy, another description to use with all the other thinks he has.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
This wandering about is something that has come up on the forum many times. I recall one member saying it was a phase and eventually ended. If it seems to be caused by anxiety or agitation maybe the GP could help.
I recall seeing a TV programme about a CH and one resident constantly wandered, day and night, looking for his long dead dad. The staff just reassured and diverted.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My husband is a wanderer who has been limited in recent years by his loss of full mobility. The desire to wander is still there though and makes him agitated or restless at times. His itching, twitching, and fidgeting during the night has a lot to do with this I think.

When it gets too bad I get him up to the toilet and give him 50 mg of Trazodone which calms him down again.

madamet

Jun 3, 2014
Your post struck a nerve in me. My husband is in a wheelchair due to Freezing of Gait. His arms aren't strong enough where he can push himself (again part of his physical disease) so we got a battery operated one. But, he'll be sitting in it and he begins to travel around. If I ask where he's going (because I'll be glad to go get what he is searching for) he says, "I don't know." I do think he is becoming restless. Oh joy, another description to use with all the other thinks he has.
Sorry to hear this.I have been told it is just a stage.I hope so.

madamet

Jun 3, 2014
I have asked for medication for my husband but have been told it is just a stage.I.

madamet

Jun 3, 2014
My husband is a wanderer who has been limited in recent years by his loss of full mobility. The desire to wander is still there though and makes him agitated or restless at times. His itching, twitching, and fidgeting during the night has a lot to do with this I think.

When it gets too bad I get him up to the toilet and give him 50 mg of Trazodone which calms him down again.

madamet

Jun 3, 2014
Trazodone!Thank you so much for this.
None of our doctors have suggested this!We must try it !

madamet

Jun 3, 2014
This wandering about is something that has come up on the forum many times. I recall one member saying it was a phase and eventually ended. If it seems to be caused by anxiety or agitation maybe the GP could help.
I recall seeing a TV programme about a CH and one resident constantly wandered, day and night, looking for his long dead dad. The staff just reassured and diverted.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
There are indeed many, many phases with this illness. How do we get through them with our health and sanity intact? My husband is a good, likeable man but I am often on the brink of a stroke with frustration and sheer exhaustion. Like many others he is 11 years older than I am and I could have enjoyed more years of my retirement. I consider that any medication which eases him and protects me is essential. Trazodone for the present helps but if things get worse for us, and they may well do in the future, then I will be back at his consultant asking for a review.

Hazara8

Apr 6, 2015
If it IS 'wandering', then that is quite common in dementia and in a Care Home environment can be seen on a regular basis. There are varied reasons applied to 'wandering' a kind of restlessness, and if problematic, anti-depressants are sometimes utilized - subject to the GP's assessment. If your husband is sleeping well, that is a big plus. My late mother 'walked' miles along the Care Home corridor, which was exercise at least. Gently guided back to the lounge for a cup of tea, allowed her some rest (in her mid 90's) as she was oblivious to her wandering. In a domestic situation however, it can appear rather unsettling and bewildering for an onlooker. Safety is paramount in respect of 'wandering' out of the house and so on. It might be well worth asking the GP for something to ' settle' your husband, if you feel that anxiety is present along with the 'wandering'. And yes, a feeling of 'sadness' is clearly understood, as one might likewise react to a lost child, vulnerable and wanting comfort, yet in an adult spouse subject to something beyond their control, ever more challenging.

madamet

Jun 3, 2014
There are indeed many, many phases with this illness. How do we get through them with our health and sanity intact? My husband is a good, likeable man but I am often on the brink of a stroke with frustration and sheer exhaustion. Like many others he is 11 years older than I am and I could have enjoyed more years of my retirement. I consider that any medication which eases him and protects me is essential. Trazodone for the present helps but if things get worse for us, and they may well do in the future, then I will be back at his consultant asking for a review.

madamet

Jun 3, 2014
I am 11 years younger than my husband too and feel cheated of the life we should have had together to enjoy things.
I am also overwhelmed by the care home fees.

wife of grumpy

Sep 7, 2017
Scawby Nth Lincs
my husband diagnosed with Alzheimer's 2yr ago he is wheelchair bound but still has the urge to wander, he also seems to be looking for something, when asked it is always the toilet (or his new word the gents hahaha) he is catheterised so does not need a wee, and only has poo every other day so 10 to 15 times a day on average i take him to the loo for him just to sit doing nothing for 5 to 10 mins. He spends most of the day in bed has to be encourage to get up to go in the lounge after 30mins he wants to go back to bed this can happen several times a day. I am TIRED FRUSTRATED & CONCERNED. GP thinks he is depressed Put him an antidepressants any one experienced any of the above

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
my husband diagnosed with Alzheimer's 2yr ago he is wheelchair bound but still has the urge to wander, he also seems to be looking for something, when asked it is always the toilet (or his new word the gents hahaha) he is catheterised so does not need a wee, and only has poo every other day so 10 to 15 times a day on average i take him to the loo for him just to sit doing nothing for 5 to 10 mins. He spends most of the day in bed has to be encourage to get up to go in the lounge after 30mins he wants to go back to bed this can happen several times a day. I am TIRED FRUSTRATED & CONCERNED. GP thinks he is depressed Put him an antidepressants any one experienced any of the above
Haven't had those issues yet, but just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and to encourage you in your mission of caring for him. HUGS to you.