FNC funded nursing care advice please

mydiamondmum

Nov 10, 2015
I have only just discover this as when I phoned to arrange for a NHS CHC checklist the nurses mentioned it when I told her about my mother's leg and foot Oedemas which require district nurses to visit once a week to treat her and dress with special bandages. Would a condition like this qualify for FNC do you think? the reason I ask is because although I know this payment would (if applicable) go to the care home but my mother has been socially cleansed out to an area far away from where she comes from so that the funding LA can save money. (long long ongoing story ) but the reason they have not moved her so far is because they won't pay the extra money to move her to a CH in her own area which would be more expensive.

If the funding LA got a reduced bill due to the CH receiving this payment it could make all the difference wards my LO getting a placement in her preferred area.

She has been falling through the net with regard to checklists due to the CH not informing the area LA that she was even there. She has been there for 3 years and the area LA only found out when I phoned them to raise a safeguarding concern, which resulted in the TVN's then the DN's treating the condition. How often should the nhs checklist be carried out? and surely the funding LA should have also have been asking this question when I repeatedly as them to move my LO.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
CHC and FNC are two different things, one is not anything to do with the other.

I am not sure that if authority A is funding a place, the authority B are informed as a matter of course

mydiamondmum

Nov 10, 2015
Well as I understood from the nurse I spoke to, the checklist would identify any special nursing needs and that would lead to FNC (if applicable)

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
The FNC would be in addition to the LA funding because it covers nursing needs that are needed by your Mother. It rarely if ever decreases what the LA pay. Social care and health care are two different things.

mydiamondmum

Nov 10, 2015
So as she is having this treatment now, and should have been all along as it is an ongoing problem which she had even before the CH placement, as I know the NHS is free to the user. What is this FNC for, can anyone tell me an easy to understand example of when this funding would apply?

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Your Mum is already being covered for some nursing care because the district nurse is going in weekly to tend to your Mum. If your Mum is assessed and found to need more nursing care She may be moved to a nursing home which the FNC payment would cover the extra cost of nursing care. Nursing homes are required to have a nurse in the premises 24/7. My husband’s nursing home had a nurse on every floor.

Can you tell us what type of care home your Mum is in at present?

mydiamondmum

Nov 10, 2015
It is mixed residential and nursing ... my mother is on the residential floor she is in a constant state of hallucination but thankfully they are pleasant hallucinations where she believes she goes dancing often and the queen invites her for interviews to be a nanny for one of the royal children, her behavior is not challenging as people love to be around her as likes to sing a lot and tell what she considers to be jokes over and over again.... so very unlikely to qualify for nhs chc but is a great danger to herself if not in a CH setting.... her legs and feet are in a very bad way... this was neglected by the CH for a long time and the funding LA due to false reporting on her needs assessment.......Sorry Jay... very long answer to a simple question

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Thank you for that information @mydiamondmum . So she is in residential where there are no nursing staff so LA pay for care and the NHS are paying for a district nurse to come in to deal with your mum’s low nursing care as they would if she was at home.

Now if your mum is assessed to now need more nursing care than the district nurse can cover, that’s not to say the district nurse can’t do it but she works out in the community and is not on call. So your mum may be raised in care needs to needing nursing care which can only take place in a nursing home that has nurses on the premises 24 hours a day. This would bring the FNC payment into place. It is an extra payment to cover nursing care and is paid by the NHS to the nursing home so your mum is covered for all nursing care 24 hours a day.

Telling us that the care home has a nursing section means that your mum may be able to move within the home she is known in which is a lot better than having to change homes completely. Of course all this will depend on assessment to see if she requires this extra nursing care.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
To get FNC you have to be in a nursing home or a part of a home registered as a nursing unit, it isn't available to people in a residential or care home it has to be a nursing home/unit and there has to be a qualified nurse there 24/7 so there is a cost.
Basically the NHS are sub-contracting the work of the district nurse to the home, if the home didn't have a nurse on site the local DN's would be in and out of the place every 5 minutes day and night so giving the home £155pw is probably the easiest option.
My wife gets FNC as some of her medications are given as needed and covertly so it needs a qualified person, she also has other conditions that need monitoring as do many of the other residents things like pressure sores, leg ulcers, diabetics on insulin...all the usual things that a DN would deal with.
The FNC is paid to the home specifically to provide nursing care over and above the normal personal care the carers provide and so doesn't go towards the normal residential side of their care, although some places do reduce the fee if you get FNC although they're not supposed to.
K