Cookers

snuggles

Aug 21, 2008
My mum is unsafe using a cooker on her own so we have resorted to disabling the cooker at the main fuse box. Unfortunately she has seen a carer switching this on again and is remembering how to do this herself (though her memory is terrible most of the time!). As she is impatient at times she has attempted to start cooking herself at times so far with no serious harm yet. Does anyone know of any aids to disable a cooker. Our only option would be to padlock the cupboard and we really dont want to go down that line if we can. Help.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Does anyone know of any aids to disable a cooker.

its an electric cooker yes ?

why not just take the fuse out of the plug that go into the fuse Box Or is it all wried into the fuse Box ?

I've got a Main fuse box with all the socket in the house . One of them says Cooker . So I can taken out the main fuse , while all the other main fuse sockets in the house still works if you get my point

Last edited:

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Has your mother seen the carer switching the fuse off more than once? Perhaps she's been cued more than once. I would tell the carer not to do it while your mother can see her. Eventually she will forget but getting the reinforcements can't help.

bert

Jul 9, 2008
birmingham
hi there. i have a similiar problem with my dad so i know how you feel. ive been told help the aged may be able to suggest where to get isolating switches for cookers

all the best

bert:)

foxhound

Jun 26, 2008
Hi. It would be very easy for an electrician to fit a key operated switch - standard bit of kit for industrial machinery and easily available at any good electrical wholesaler - not expensive either.

Good luck.

suzanne

Jul 25, 2006
wiltshire
cooking

My mother was halted in her tracks on the cooking front by the change of the hob, she couldnt see it or how to operate it.Best of luck, she also enjoys criticising the cooking I do which makes her happy!Suzy

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
he also enjoys criticising the cooking I do which makes her happy!Suzy

Just like my mother does , so I started to get ready cook meals ,I found them better when cook in low temperature in oven then over a longer time , then in microwave.

So I tell me mum , hear you are I've been cooking this all day hope you like it . Mum love them, as long as they have some kind of poultry in them :)

Last edited:

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
she also enjoys criticising the cooking I do which makes her happy!Suzy

Brilliant spirit, Suzy! :)

I think diversion tactics may be best - ideally diverting the cooker completely out of the house ... why does a carer need it? Is there nothing that cannot be pre-prepared elsewhere that can't simply be microwaved? (Still some associated risk but not quite on same scale).

I know this one gave me many a sleepless night until my mother admitted defeat she could no longer manage to even boil an egg for herself ....

Just a thought, love Karen

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet