The wonders of prune juice!

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
I've had a challenging time over the past several months dealing with mum's constipation, then some horrible bouts of diarrhoea, and then constipation again. The meds we tried seemed to take ages to work when she was constipated, and when they did, we had gone too far, and diarrhoea kicked in. Not ideal! I decided to try mum on something more natural and I picked up on a comment that @Amy in the US made about her mother being given prune juice in the mornings at her care home (warmed, I think, but I may have got that wrong). Well, I can confirm it has worked a treat! I started with a large glass a day, nothing happened for a while, but after a week or so mum is pretty regular now, and I'm sure she must feel better for it (not that she can really tell me any more). I now give her just half a small glass in the mornings (don't want to overdo it!). Hopefully this will work as a 'maintenance dose' and we won't have to revert back to using medication for this, for a while at least.

Worth trying, if anyone else has had the same problems.

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Back in the day hospitals served prunes at breakfast, tasty and natural and one of your 5 a day. Hydrated ones in most supermarkets. Can be chopped and added to (sorry Scottish friends) to porridge and cereal. Tasty with custard as a pudding.
I love them.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
I really like them too and the juice I've been giving mum is really nice also. I think I may start taking it myself - to assist in my attempt to shed a few pounds!

cobden 28

Dec 15, 2017
A nice fresh orange works for me, or nice fresh orange juice. Has the same effect in that it keeps me 'regular' with the added bonus of tasting nice and sweet :) .