Getting them to eat

Taximan

Mar 31, 2015
Hi All
Haven't been on here for quite a while,mainly because i thought you just had to get on with the hand you are dealt.My wife was diagnosed with Dementia/Alzheimers unspecified in 2013.Since then she has gone downhill,even though she is on Donezipil,i believe this has done nothing for her.The psychiatrist said,if it is not doing her any harm,then carry on with it as,if she "fell off a cliff",then you cannot go back a stage,whatever.After you get the diagnosis,things become clearer,in that,a lot of the forgetfulness and strange behaviour starts to make sense.At first things were manageable,but now i have to deal with double incontinence and i have to do everything for her,including showering,teeth brushing,toiletting,washing,cooking,cleaning,dressing etc,etc.The big problem i face now is,her refusal to sit down and eat,i can spend an hour preparing and cooking a meal,only for her to look at it,and get up from the table.At times i have managed to spoonfeed her,or give her a forkful of food at a time,this can prolong mealtimes by up to 45 minutes before she has eaten a proper amount,sometimes she refuses to eat at all.
The strange thing is,she goes to a day centre for 4 hours per day,3 times a week,and she always eats there,and does it herself.I don't expect anyone to come up with a magic solution,but tips or hints might help.
She has also got into the habit of getting in bed fully dressed,coat,shoes,everything.Thankfully when she goes to bed she doesn't get up,but when she is up,she paces up and down all day.This in itself has caused problems,because she aggravates osteoarthritis in her hip,apart from that she is extremely mobile.When i go shopping i only have to turn my back for 5 seconds,and she's gone,leading to a hunt to find her.She has no proper conversation whatsoever,and just repeats the same phrase from the moment she gets up "have we got to go to bed now"until the moment she goes to bed.Without exaggeration she must repeat this 500+ times per day,it does get very wearing.I've always thought that i would just have to get on with it,but at times it is completely draining.I wonder at what stage do i say,i cannot cope with this anymore.I have been awarded 4 weeks respite per year,which is much appreciated,even so it leaves a lot of time for me to deal with.I'm unsure as to what would happen if she went into care,i don't think it would bother her,when she went into respite for a week,she seemed perfectly happy,and they said she was no problem whatsoever.We own our own home and have limited savings,but i worry about what i would have to pay,or if they would put a charge on our home.Sorry to ramble on,but if you have any words of wisdom to impart to me,please do.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
To put your mind at rest, as long as you live in your shared property, it will be completely disregarded in any financial assessment. Your wife alone would be financially assessed, and if she has less than £23,250 in savings she wouldn't have to pay for any home care. However, if you wanted her to go into a care home, and I understand that wish completely, you would need the go ahead from Social Services if they are supposed to pay for it. They should present you with at least one option that meet your wife's needs and is within their budget. If the home you choose is more expensive or you wanted extras like a bigger room, you might have to pay a top-up.

I have no real solution for the food problem as it seems like she eats at the Day Centre due to other people around her doing the same which creates a certain amount of peer pressure, or she wants to appear to be no trouble, whereas she drops that pretence with you.

Taximan

Mar 31, 2015
To put your mind at rest, as long as you live in your shared property, it will be completely disregarded in any financial assessment. Your wife alone would be financially assessed, and if she has less than £23,250 in savings she wouldn't have to pay for any home care. However, if you wanted her to go into a care home, and I understand that wish completely, you would need the go ahead from Social Services if they are supposed to pay for it. They should present you with at least one option that meet your wife's needs and is within their budget. If the home you choose is more expensive or you wanted extras like a bigger room, you might have to pay a top-up.

I have no real solution for the food problem as it seems like she eats at the Day Centre due to other people around her doing the same which creates a certain amount of peer pressure, or she wants to appear to be no trouble, whereas she drops that pretence with you.
Thanks for that,i agree about eating at the Day centre,strange though?isn't it.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
What are you giving her at home? Not calling into question your cooking skills but people with dementia love sweet things so maybe you could give her more cake and icecream. I know it's not nutritious but it's calorific and if she eats it it's better than not eating at all. Also try to hydrate her well.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Might be a long shot but could the pacing and inability to sit down for long be due to pain? It could be that the osteoarthritis is causing pain and the pacing relieves it, rather than the pacing making the osteoarthritis more painful. The chair your wife sits in at the day centre to eat may be more comfortable for the pain than the one at home. Might be worth checking whether your wife needs increased pain relief.

Taximan

Mar 31, 2015
What are you giving her at home? Not calling into question your cooking skills but people with dementia love sweet things so maybe you could give her more cake and icecream. I know it's not nutritious but it's calorific and if she eats it it's better than not eating at all. Also try to hydrate her well.
At the day centre she eats whatever they give her,and i know that my cooking is up to scratch.But you're absolutely right about sweet things,she would eat bag after bag of sweets if i let her.I make sure she has plenty of cakes and puddings.