At home care costs

whitehead1976

Dec 22, 2016
Nottingham
Does anyone know what help a L.A will give in terms of assistance with care fees for at home care when you are left with a certain level of savings, at the £22,500 stage what contribution do they make and then what happens at the £14,500 level

My mum has carers that visit the home and has a care packaage at the moment provided/arranged through SS but she self funds this,so I'm just wondering about the above saving levels I have mentioned and how much SS contribute at each stage

Last edited:

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I’m afraid I don’t have any answers for you...this is simply to ‘bump’ your post higher to receive more views!

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
This is not really a question that can definitively be answered as every borough has their own way of dealing with this. Our borough recently started charging for home care but they have a very complicated algorithm of what is counted as assets, what can be deducted as reasonable expenses andsoforth, then they would calculate weekly contributions, but also had a weekly cut-off point they couldn't charge above. Your borough might do it all very differently.
If savings get under £14,250, the cared for shouldn't have to pay anything.

whitehead1976

Dec 22, 2016
Nottingham
This is not really a question that can definitively be answered as every borough has their own way of dealing with this. Our borough recently started charging for home care but they have a very complicated algorithm of what is counted as assets, what can be deducted as reasonable expenses andsoforth, then they would calculate weekly contributions, but also had a weekly cut-off point they couldn't charge above. Your borough might do it all very differently.
Thanks,it sounds so complicated,I was thinking it may be something simple,and was just curious until we get to that point,I pay for half of the food and I'm my mothers full time carer living on carers allowance,she doesn't have sky tv or anything,just home insurance etc and regular utility bills to pay

whitehead1976

Dec 22, 2016
Nottingham
Below £14,250 We will not take these savings into account in the assessment
Between £14,250 and £23,250 A tariff income of £1.00 for each £250 (or part of £250) and add this to your income used in the assessment
Above £23,250 We will assess you as being able to pay the maximum contribution, no matter what other income and disability costs you may have.
I found this online for my LA it doesn't mean much to me though,well at least the bit about tarriff income of £1 per £250

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016

In my Mum's case she was still required to pay a contribution towards her home carers and day centre (based on her income) even though she had savings below £14,250. As noted, LA's can have different methods of calculating the contribution but don't assume that there will be no requirement to pay a contribution if savings fall below the limit.

whitehead1976

Dec 22, 2016
Nottingham
In my Mum's case she was still required to pay a contribution towards her home carers and day centre (based on her income) even though she had savings below £14,250. As noted, LA's can have different methods of calculating the contribution but don't assume that there will be no requirement to pay a contribution if savings fall below the limit.

I wonder how it works as if you get to £14,250 in savings and you have so much income each month,I would imagine they take most or all of the income that is left after bills to pay towards carers,I can't see them letting anyone accrue any money while the LA is paying towards care

Yellowduck

Account Closed
Dec 11, 2016
Essex
I wonder how it works as if you get to £14,250 in savings and you have so much income each month,I would imagine they take most or all of the income that is left after bills to pay towards carers,I can't see them letting anyone accrue any money while the LA is paying towards care

Mum had carers for nearly two years before she recently went into a home. They disregarded her income and only took her savings into account. However they do review the situation from time to time, so if her savings accrue (over £14k) due to her income not being used, then they may pay less towards the cost, and if they hit £23k they would pay nothing.

Unfortunately during the time she had carers, her savings never managed to climb above the lower limit......

arielsmelody

Jul 16, 2015
My MIL had savings of about £14K and her income was state pension plus pension credit, and lower rate of attendance allowance. When she was living at home with carers, the LA did a financial assessment and she did have to pay them something towards the cost of the carers (although not the full cost). It wasn't clear what to do if her savings went up - I guess another financial assessment would have been carried out at some point. When she went into a care home, the amount she had to contribute went up to almost all of her income.