Not taking tablets.

Reman

Jan 21, 2018
Can someone help, my OH won't take his tablets, I give him a drink and tablets, but he forgets, or I find some have fallen on the floor or in his pockets. Any ideas?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Reman, sometimes medication can be given in different forms, eg patches, fluids, so that may be worth exploring with the GP.
Other times I've read of people hiding meds in food that is always eaten, like ice-cream etc.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Can some of the medication be crushed? depending on time of day you could put in breakfast or dessert or can they be prescribed in liquid form. I had to change the way my mum took her pills because she kept putting them on the tip of her tongue and not taking enough liquid to wash down. Established from gp which ones I could crush and then I would place powder on top of spoonful of dessert, mainly chocolate mousse.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello Reman my husband will not take his tablets, he is in a CH they put them in his food, sometimes he gets bladder infections which need antibiotics, the Dr. gives him liquid form, as they are to large to put into food. give it a try good luck Pamann.

highland girl

Jul 30, 2017
Yorkshire
We had this problem, my husband wouldn’t take any, pill time became a battlefield, doctor changed the ones they could to liquid. Stopped any he could manage without so there wasn’t so many, but the most important thing was that I stopped forcing the issue, if he wouldn’t take them, I didn’t press him. eventually the tension of pill time eased, it was because he didn’t feel in control. We still have problems sometimes, last night he refused but he took them later. I think the important thing is to discuss with gp so they are aware you are having problems with it.

crybaby

Jan 8, 2017
Hi Reman, my husband is unable to take tablets at all, and has a lot to be taken!
So I crush them all, separately, and give them to him mixed in small spoonfuls of custard, followed, usually, by some of his regular cut- up fruit, like his blueberries and yoghurt for breakfast, or his nectarines, mandarins or pear after his dinner.

And to make life a bit easier, I've bought packets of those throwaway medecine cups which they use in hospital for pills, to avoid the washing up! I put a teaspoonful of custard in each little cup and then mix the ground up tablets in. My husband knows what it is and is happier now he doesn't have the struggle of trying to swallow - he is bed bound now, which makes swallowing extra difficult. You can crush most tablets, even the ones which say you shouldn't, because as our GP says, the most important thing is to get the medication into them!
Love and luck
Crybaby

highland girl

Jul 30, 2017
Yorkshire
I agree if they aren’t taking them due to swallowing problems it’s a totally different ballgame, we thought that was my husbands problem at first but it wasn’t. Unfortunately some of his can’t be crushed. Like all things in dementia every situation is unique. Good luck , hope the situation improves for you. Xxx

Reman

Jan 21, 2018
Thank you for your support, I will go to our GP and see if he can cut down on some of the tablets.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Hi interested to read this , as my Mum is in a care home & her meds 3x a day is a battle off and on.
Sometimes hiding in food is hit & miss. If Mum doesnt want to eat it she wont.
No swallowing problems, ( evidenced by eating chocolate & salt/vinegar chips) but probably is with swallowing tablets come to think of it even though some of Mums are small tablets.

We have a review with Geritrician this week to see what meds can be removed.