Can I ... Should I?

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
Sam Enjoy your holiday and do whatever is right for you so that you are able to relax and enjoy it.
Have a drink for me whilst your sat round the pool, on the beach, perched on a bar stool or with a delicious meal cooked and served by somebody else.
Your Mum will be fine and the carers sound sensible TG
So have that well deserved and much needed break.
I wish you and everybody who comes onto this wonderful thread A Happy and as peaceful as possible Easter. Xx

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Sam, I hope you have a lovely holiday, are able to 'switch off' and not worry about what is happening at home.

Without you, your continued presence and care, your mum would already be in a CH. Give yourself a bit pat on the back for what you are doing, don't give the GM house room. In fact, make sure you have that sharp stick handy at all times and give the GM a poke if/when it raises its ugly head.

Happy Easter to all.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Norfolk Cherry

When I’ve been away before (pre stroke & downturn), I’ve always called to say I’ve arrived, I’m leaving, I’ll be home at XX time etc, also I’ve called while away & it’s been fine. A quick chat, mums happy to hear from me & I can relax for the next 24 hours.

This time was different, but I live n learn

Thankful for being with people who do know what they are talking about. I think the GM ran away from me, I was not in the mood for that little oik

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @carolynp

I hear you, but previously it’s been ok me calling. I thought it wouId be the same.

I got on the plane. I’m back after 10 days of no WiFi & mobile data wouldn't work (wait till I give 02 a piece of my mind).

Unfortunately Mum was not the same this time. She tried playing mind games. She hung up on me 4 times. She set off her falls monitor & then didn’t answer the calls from brother, Lifeline etc, then denied all knowledge

I managed to get her on the phone by calling when S the cleaner was in & she refused to speak to me. So I didn’t call again at all.

I refused to feel guilty. I got big brother to text each day to say she was ok & left them all to it

I’m a right hard bleep.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Thank you @maryjoan, it just seemed an appropriate avatar

Mum’s Irish, a real red head, green eyed temper to boot. I’m researching the family tree, or trying to, it’s slow going, but it’s interesting & I've found some cousins :)

It’s really hard losing someone to this. It’s bad enough with Mum, I’m not sure if I could deal with it being the love of my life

You hang in there & feel free to moan, we all do, ok, I do lol

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I meant Easter Saturday @nitram, as I flew out early hours of Easter Sunday. So I managed to do the last minute shoppping for Mum before I left

Meal deal was forced down on the plane with another for lunch after I’d unpacked.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Welcome home Sam! I hope you are well rested.

You are NOT a bleep, hard or otherwise. I'll fite ya if you come here and say that (((hugs)))

I’m not going to say it’s good to be back, coz I’m a rubbish liar, but at least I came back.

Don’t fight me. Pretty please.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @rosy18

I raised a glass each night to you as I sat out in my PJ’s & gradually unwound. I know how lucky I was to go, the good weather was a bonus, but I think I wouId almost have driven Poppet to the seafront & slept there I was that low

I found it very hard coming back in.

I knew Mum wouId have moved things around etc, but it still annoyed me. Silly stuff, like taking my photo albums (of my kids) & putting them in the lobby, getting my eldest to “clean” the conservatory so everything was moved & rearranging the lounge so all the chairs now don’t face the TV properly.

We’ve had our tiff. She’s had a few G&T’s & is off to bed. I won’t be long after her

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Slugsta

I did switch off. It took a few days, I was very tightly wound, but after Mum hung up on me 4 times, then refused to speak to me, I kicked that GM into touch lol

I know Mum wouId have been in a home 2 years ago. She wasn’t eating properly & was fading fast. She didn’t have much to lose & was losing that fast.

I’ve told Mum, “when I go next time” ... not “if I go”. I know I need to get breaks. She may present well, but by golly (lol), she is hard work