Concerns about safeguarding...

Coulddobetter

Oct 19, 2016
The only lift at Mum's EMI Nursing Home has been out of action since the weekend. It had never occurred to me before, but if a fire were to break out how on earth would they be able to evacuate the building in such a situation. Moreover, I was under the impression that even if in working order, the advice is not to use lifts in the event of a fire? Mum's room is on the first floor, and there are other residents on the top floor in attic rooms, at the moment the top floor residents have no access to the lounge on the first floor and have to stay in their bedrooms. Very few residents have mobility how on earth would they fare if a fire were to break out? Is this legal?

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
To set your mind at rest ask to see their fire evacuation policy. Dad's NH was a modern building set over 2 floors and quite often when I was visiting they would have fire drills. The alarm was linked to the fire station which is often the case for premises which house vulnerable people I was told so a quick response time. Corridor and communal fire doors closed automatically to contain an area. I was told the evacuation protocol the staff would follow if a real fire especially with immobile and bed bound residents and it seemed very well thought out to me. And yes...no lifts should be used.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Does the home have fire doors? The advice in our extra support housing is to stay in your flat if a fire breaks out, as the fire doors should keep you safe for half an hour and that should be long enough for the fire brigade to put the fire out.
As for residents being stuck in their rooms, that's not acceptable and you should tell the manager it is not good enough. Make a complaint to the CQC if it's not repaired in a day or two.

Coulddobetter

Oct 19, 2016
There are fire doors and I have been there when they have carried out tests on the fire alarm, and I have seen the doors swing shut. However, I haven't seen any fire evacuation plans on backs of doors, have never known a drill to be carried out, and yes I do think it unacceptable that top floor residents are confined to rooms. Have considered contacting CQC, but I'm afraid I don't have great confidence in them as a watchdog.