Mum's First Week In Care Home

Andyp101

Dec 5, 2017
Hi All,

I would like to give you an update on my Mum's condition. To recap: I have been looking after my Mum who is 82 and had been diagnosed with dementia for 2 years. She is in its latter stages. She was extremely difficult toward the end and I was struggling to cope. I finally had to make the decision (with assistance of the doctors and SW) to look at a care home.

I took a lot of advice and support from the forum for which I am grateful.

I was very wary of Mum's first week or so but am happy to report she is settled. She is happy and well looked after. She dances with the staff (and they with her!), loves wearing her new clothes and the walk from the dining room to her room (a journey would should take no more than 2 minutes) takes 20 as she stops to give every staff member a hug and tell them she loves them. They adore her. Genuinely adore her. She feels so at ease she goes to the Manager's office (they call her 'the Manager's little helper') to sit, they have given her a foot stool, to sip sherry and sleep while the Manager works.

So pleased, so relieved.

I was so reluctant to take this step but as I was told here, it doesn't mean an end to my care, it doesn't mean misery for both Mum and me, it does mean you are supported a bit more.

DollyBird16

Sep 5, 2017
Greater London
@Andyp101
Fabulous news, well done, a very difficult decision, clearly the right one, you’ve done the your Mum proud.

Your post give me much reassurance thank you for posting.

Pleased to read she is keeping them all in check at her new home and spreading the hugs.
Well done you.

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
I am delighted to hear that your mum is happy and settling. That care home sounds wonderful!

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
A sherry and a footstool and little chat- where is it I'll put my name down!

So glad she has settled and is thriving. What a relief for you too. Now you have the opportunity do something nice just for you, you deserve it and savour every moment of it.

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
You must be so relieved that she has settled well. It sounds a lovely place and goes some way to restoring faith in care homes. Your mum will soon be in charge!

smartieplum

Jul 29, 2014
Hi All,

I would like to give you an update on my Mum's condition. To recap: I have been looking after my Mum who is 82 and had been diagnosed with dementia for 2 years. She is in its latter stages. She was extremely difficult toward the end and I was struggling to cope. I finally had to make the decision (with assistance of the doctors and SW) to look at a care home.

I was very wary of Mum's first week or so but am happy to report she is settled. She is happy and well looked after. She dances with the staff (and they with her!), loves wearing her new clothes and the walk from the dining room to her room (a journey would should take no more than 2 minutes) takes 20 as she stops to give every staff member a hug and tell them she loves them. They adore her. Genuinely adore her. She feels so at ease she goes to the Manager's office (they call her 'the Manager's little helper') to sit, they have given her a foot stool, to sip sherry and sleep while the Manager works.

So pleased, so relieved.

I was so reluctant to take this step but as I was told here, it doesn't mean an end to my care, it doesn't mean misery for both Mum and me, it does mean you are supported a bit more.
So happy to hear it.

jen54

May 20, 2014
Hi All,

So pleased, so relieved.

I too feel I made the right choice in the end,mum has been in the home since January, she has improved in her self, has had her hair cut,and is clean in clean clothes, she can walk with her zimmer and seems to get on well with the carers who say she is very agreeable and funny, the thought of her being alone in her cold house unable to manage doing anything is unbearable now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar