Access to bank account via online?

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Yes. The lady from social services who orhanised the care package said it was customary for clients to leave their contactless card in a safe, where the carers had access and could buy her necessary items. We reluctantly agreed to this and bought a small safe for this purpose. All carers have the combination. However, this proved useless as when they tried to use the card at a local shop, it wouldn't work without a PIN.
Really? I am surprised by that suggestion given that our bank cards should only be used by the card holder. I would have thought a small amount of cash each week for sundries with a proper record of what and when cash was spent is preferable

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Also with that system and different carers...goodness knows who has access to your mum's card...I would get an immediate bank statement to see if any unauthorised online purchases have been made.

Rambling Sid

Mar 7, 2018
But I can't get a bank statement. That's one of the problems.

Only the customer can get balance details, statements etc. To access an account you need POA or a joint account. With all-and-sundry having access, I didn't want to take that risk.

As for cash in the safe, I do this when I visit (a 400 mile round trip every six weeks). Even that is not foolproof. Receipts are left, but I haven't had chance to add them up to see if they tally.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
But I can't get a bank statement. That's one of the problems.

Only the customer can get balance details, statements etc. To access an account you need POA or a joint account. With all-and-sundry having access, I didn't want to take that risk.

As for cash in the safe, I do this when I visit (a 400 mile round trip every six weeks). Even that is not foolproof. Receipts are left, but I haven't had chance to add them up to see if they tally.
Has poa been applied For? Does your mum have anyone trusted near her who has a phone who could help your mum phone her bank...if she still has clarity to do that with help...so that she can request a bank statement?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I think you are going to have to take control of her finances and that means either a POA or (if she can no longer understand that) Court of Protection Deputyship.. You dont have to use a solicitor to do this, you can print off the forms from the internet and do them yourself.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Yes. The lady from social services who orhanised the care package said it was customary for clients to leave their contactless card in a safe, where the carers had access and could buy her necessary items. We reluctantly agreed to this and bought a small safe for this purpose. All carers have the combination. However, this proved useless as when they tried to use the card at a local shop, it wouldn't work without a PIN.

My mother-in-law has carers in all week although she is self funding I think you'll find it is not normal practice to leave contactless cards here there and everywhere so that carers may have access. Nor is it acceptable to have a safe with a combination so that they have access as well. If my mother-in-law needs to purchase something and asks the carers to do it there is a small amount of cash that is left in her house they then use that buy any additional extras and provide a written receipt. As other posters have said you need to take control of the situation and apply for power of attorney . If your mother does not need her card this should be taken away from her and any other important documents such as a passport that they provide any fraudster with additional identification. Don't discuss any of these decisions with your mother just do it.

Sammie1900

Jul 26, 2017
A bank card should only be used by the person whose account it relates to (or by the attorney if you have POA), so if you were advised to allow other people (carers) to use that card, then that advice is wrong, not to say criminal. Not that this never happens - I, in common with many other people, used to draw out money for my mum when she was incapable of doing it herself and before I got POA, but I had my mum's best interests at heart, as I'm sure most people in this situation have. No way would I have allowed strangers to have access to my mum's card. I don't want to alarm you but the bank may well feel they have no responsibility to sort this out if anyone other than your mum has had access to her card.

Rambling Sid

Mar 7, 2018
I quite understand that, and feel foolish that I have potentially put my mother in that unsafe position.

At the time, it was a question of how do you feed your mother when you are a 400 mile round trip away? Leave cash in the safe (a couple of hundred quid) or leave a contactless card where the spending is restricted to £30 a day?

It seemed the safe option at the time, and of course social services didn't want the financial responsibility of filling her fridge and cupboards, so hence their suggestion of the card in the safe. With hindsight, a poor choice for the family and the person in need of care.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
a contactless card where the spending is restricted to £30 a day?

Mine is £30 per transaction, the number of transactions per day is unlimited until I overdraw and the details from the card can be used on line without the £30 limit same as any other card.
K

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
I quite understand that, and feel foolish that I have potentially put my mother in that unsafe position.

At the time, it was a question of how do you feed your mother when you are a 400 mile round trip away? Leave cash in the safe (a couple of hundred quid) or leave a contactless card where the spending is restricted to £30 a day?

It seemed the safe option at the time, and of course social services didn't want the financial responsibility of filling her fridge and cupboards, so hence their suggestion of the card in the safe. With hindsight, a poor choice for the family and the person in need of care.

But these cards are not restricted to £30 a day it's £30 per transaction and there is no limit to any online. What about trying a prepaid cash card of some sort I believe MasterCard do something similar? With the distance involved I really think your only alternative is to obtain power of attorney. Alternatively sort out some online shopping to be delivered when the carers are there

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
With everything available via delivery I'm not sure why anyone would need cash to provide necessities. I suppose if they were taking her out, maybe, but if it's anything a supermarket sells, then I don't see the point.

I think the care company was really quite negligent to suggest this tbh. I managed to ensure that my mother had everything she needed from across the Atlantic by using Tesco's.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
A bank card without a PIN is not useless - it can still be used to purchase goods/services on-line. If the re-presented cheque doesn't clear you will still be none the wiser with regards to where the money has gone to without sight of an up to date bank statement. As already suggested above - you need to get hold of your Mother's bank card to ensure that no one else can use it to access her funds. Do you know where it is?
Most cards can be used without the PIN these days with the 'tap and go' facility.

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
I also think the advice from social services is very flawed. Could you do online shops for her and arrange for deliveries to be done at a time you know a carer is there to receive them for your Mum? I think the bank card system you were advised on is very open to abuse. I realise I know nothing of her situation but if she is so dependent on care would it be worth considering her going into a care home? She sounds rather vulnerable being housebound and on her own? Apologies if I speak out of turn, just a thought.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Most cards can be used without the PIN these days with the 'tap and go' facility.

Yes, I know, but the OP has stated "when they tried to use the card at a local shop, it wouldn't work without a PIN". Has a carer told him this in order to try to gain access to the PIN?

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
That’s probably because the local shop did not have contactless facilities. Not all shops do, especially the smaller ones.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Most contactless cards have to be used once with a PIN before they work.
It need not be a purchase it can be a balance check or mini statement at an ATM.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Yes, I know, but the OP has stated "when they tried to use the card at a local shop, it wouldn't work without a PIN". Has a carer told him this in order to try to gain access to the PIN?
And there may be a limit on the card so it could be used quite often by someone else without ever needing to use a PIN.

Rambling Sid

Mar 7, 2018
The potential for abuse is worrisome. Because I can't see her statements, I have no proof that the card has been misused, but as mentioned, I am going for POA.

In the meantime, what to do? Should I ask her bank ro put a stop on her card? She doesn't need it or use it, so it might as well be stopped.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I agree the best answer for her food supplies is for you to get regular online supermarket deliveries for her. That's what I did for my mother, although unlike your mother, mine was able to go into the bank with the carer to get small amounts of cash too.

Re the suggestion to redirect her post, that won't be possible until the LPA is done. I've just done a 'redirecting post in special circumstances' for my mother. If you are not the person concerned you have to produce two forms of ID plus your LPA.