Access to bank account via online?

Rambling Sid

Mar 7, 2018
This hasn't happened, but I am seeking reassurance.

My mother has a current bank account. She has no phone and therefore no online capability.

Something has happened which has made me suspicious that another person has gained access to her account. I will have proof next week.

I thought it was it impossible to get access to someone else's account without Power of Attorney or third party mandate. However, it occurred to me that anyone coming into my mother's house would see her paper bank statements and account details. What is to stop them turning her account into an online account (using their own phone number and email)? The bank would never know and mother, who has no clue about online things, would not know either.

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
Actually I think it may be possible, if they have access to all her details. I know someone who did this, for the best of reasons, to their mother, to check what she was doing as dementia was causing her to be erratic about her use of money. All very irregular but he was waiting for PoW and her account was in a mess, he needed to sort it out fast. Not sure how he did it. Which reminds me to say, don't forget that sometimes the person them-self can start overdrawing money, or instruct someone else, like a carer, to use their bank card and give them their pin details to withdraw money on their behalf, without it being any kind of fraud.

As PoA can take a while to come through, if you have any suspicions I would ring or go into the bank to alert them of your concerns right away.They won't be able to give you any details but perhaps they would query any online business if asked. I hope your fears turn out to be wrong.

Rambling Sid

Mar 7, 2018
Only my mother can withdraw money from her account, but she has to be present at the bank. And she is housebound, so I know she isn't withdrawing cash.

She doesn't know her PIN, so any card that might have fallen into the wrong hands is useless to them.

The only way her account can be depleted is if someone has gained access; they won't have POA so it must be online access. That's the way my mind is working anyway.

Rambling Sid

Mar 7, 2018
I suppose that's possible.

The carers aren't there long enough to get her dressed and into the city centre, then from a car park to the bank. That would take at least an hour, minimum.

There is only one person who has that sort of time, and access to her home (and private paperwork).

I should know more by Wednesday next week if my suspicions are well founded or not.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
i find online banking a great help. I have it set up on my mother's accounts so I can quickly and easily pay bills, and also watch her account for any issues. (I am joint on her accounts and have PoA registered with the bank.). Perhaps, once you have established what is or isn't going on, and I hope there aren't problems, you might also want to enable online access for your convenience and peace of mind?

Rambling Sid

Mar 7, 2018
Thank you, but anyone who has already got POA is not in the precarious situation that I and my mother are in.

She is a vulnerable elderly lady who trusts everybody. She keeps her door keys, bank card and passport in her bag. It is an easy task for anyone so minded to take her birthdate, bank details, and call the bank to request online banking. She doesn't have a phone or computer, so all they do is give their phone number and email. Nobody will ever know, as the bank won't discuss balances, withdrawals etc. with anyone except the account holder -- and she has no phone and is housebound. I know all this because I've tried to ask the bank for her balance (not to draw money or transfer money), but they won't even give this basic info. By the time I have got POA, her account could have been emptied.

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
I set up an online account for my mother. Obviously I knew all her details but it was incredibly easy.

Rambling Sid

Mar 7, 2018
Yes, incredibly easy if you know the details...which is my fear of persons having daily access to her house, purse, desk and post. Anything can be intercepted. Anyone can pretend to be her 'online' as the bank knows no better and we the family can only get access to her balance if we have PoA -- which can take weeks. The account can be emptied and the thief melted into the ether by then.

Kipster

Oct 29, 2017
Would it be possible to take your Mum to the bank and go through the account details while she is present and can give her authority? I have done this with my Mum.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Have you been to the bank with your fears? They won’t talk to you about the account put they will listen to the facts that no computer and no email address means that your Mother cannot have on-line banking if the facility is set up for her. There is also telephone banking, another possibility.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Lets put it like this.
If 'anyone' who has access to the required info can set up internet banking on an account, why dont you try it? At least then you could see a) if it can be done b) if the account is already operating on line.

Failing that, take your mother into branch and check.

if your mother is housebound and doesnt need access to her card, please take it away ( sneak it out of her purse when she's in the loo?) Someone might be taking the card ( and pin no) and returning it.
You say she doesnt know her pin - It only take a call to the bank to pose as her and say card is lost. new card comes in the post, and new pin in next delivery.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
And a few banks offer house calls to someone housebound if she can't get to the bank...I know this as I was offered this recently from NatWest for my OH who was unwell on an ID matter.

Rambling Sid

Mar 7, 2018
I rang the fraud section of her bank and told them my concerns. The man answering was useless - said go to the police. No offer of monitoring her account. I asked if someone could make a house call to see her, and he said they only visited customers with investments who were seeking advice. In other words, they aren't really bothered about a state pensioner.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Something has happened which has made me suspicious that another person has gained access to her account. I will have proof next week.

You say in your first post that someone hasn't accessed your Mother's account via online banking. What has happened to make you suspicious that someone else has gained access to her account and what proof will you be getting?

Rambling Sid

Mar 7, 2018
Because mother can't go to the bank herself, and I can't withdraw cash on her behalf, she wrote me a cheque.

The cheque bounced, although to her knowledge and last bank statement received, she had more that sufficient funds to cover it.

Either there is a simple banking error, or someone has depleted her account. I don't know for sure until next week when we shall see what happens with the re-presented cheque.

As for me trying to gain online access to her account, and posing as the customer, I think that is a fraudulent act in itself, and possibly criminal. I wouldn't try doing that in a million years.

Last edited:

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Although she doesn't have a phone is she able still to use the phone? When mum died suddenly dad ith dementia couldn't remember his pin no and he was also a bit deaf for phone use so I phoned his bank and explained...dad was standing next to me and had just enough clarity still to say he agreed they could speak to me...and a new pin no came in the post a few days later. Is it possible an unexpected standing order or late cheque someone has held onto has been cashed to reduce funds?

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
She doesn't know her PIN, so any card that might have fallen into the wrong hands is useless to them. The only way her account can be depleted is if someone has gained access; they won't have POA so it must be online access. That's the way my mind is working anyway.

A bank card without a PIN is not useless - it can still be used to purchase goods/services on-line. If the re-presented cheque doesn't clear you will still be none the wiser with regards to where the money has gone to without sight of an up to date bank statement. As already suggested above - you need to get hold of your Mother's bank card to ensure that no one else can use it to access her funds. Do you know where it is?

Rambling Sid

Mar 7, 2018
Yes. The lady from social services who orhanised the care package said it was customary for clients to leave their contactless card in a safe, where the carers had access and could buy her necessary items. We reluctantly agreed to this and bought a small safe for this purpose. All carers have the combination. However, this proved useless as when they tried to use the card at a local shop, it wouldn't work without a PIN.