In the Spring a (young) man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of cycling

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
A beautiful spring-like day yesterday and ideal for a short bike ride to a cafe to meet 20 or so friends from the cycling club. Sunshine, a friendly breeze, lambs in the fields, tired legs and a feeling of well-being. Meanwhile the befriender, my wife and the dog have had a long walk, done some housework, had a chat and got on well. It is good to be able to go out without worrying about what is happening at home. After Easter I’ll maybe see about extending the hours so that I can join some of the rides again.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Sunshine, a friendly breeze, lambs in the fields, tired legs and a feeling of well-being.

That does sound good - especially the feeling of well-being as the end result. Good luck with plans for the future extension. Here's hoping for a really true Spring this year. Also summer!

Loo x

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
So pleased to hear you got out on your bike the weather here was lovely cycling weather yesterday, today, my cycling day there is a strong wind, which was grim.

It sounds good if you can extend it after Easter and get a few rides in, hoping for good riding weather.

Peachez

Jun 19, 2016
South East England
A beautiful spring-like day yesterday and ideal for a short bike ride to a cafe to meet 20 or so friends from the cycling club. Sunshine, a friendly breeze, lambs in the fields, tired legs and a feeling of well-being. Meanwhile the befriender, my wife and the dog have had a long walk, done some housework, had a chat and got on well. It is good to be able to go out without worrying about what is happening at home. After Easter I’ll maybe see about extending the hours so that I can join some of the rides again.

this is brilliant, so happy, and no catch, 22 or otherwise!

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
I remember an earlier post of yours @northumbrian_k where you were concerned about how your wife would react to a carer/befriender. I remember the first time a carer came to sit with mum while I went out for some necessaries - mum was mobile then and was clinging onto the front door handle because she didn't want me to leave the house! (She was really anxious then and had what I call 'the terrors' due to some war time memories haunting her.). I persevered - I had to, otherwise I would have been confined to home and unable to step out anywhere. Eventually, the dementia changed, as it does. Sadly mum isn't independently mobile any more and she is a lot calmer now, but now gives me a wave when I leave the house! It is worth not 'giving in' at the start to achieve some freedom.

Going out and doing something outdoors does me the world of good. I'm currently plotting to book a carer for a full day, once a month, so that I can go for a long walk with my walking group. Keep cycling!

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
I remember an earlier post of yours @northumbrian_k where you were concerned about how your wife would react to a carer/befriender. I remember the first time a carer came to sit with mum while I went out for some necessaries - mum was mobile then and was clinging onto the front door handle because she didn't want me to leave the house! (She was really anxious then and had what I call 'the terrors' due to some war time memories haunting her.). I persevered - I had to, otherwise I would have been confined to home and unable to step out anywhere. Eventually, the dementia changed, as it does. Sadly mum isn't independently mobile any more and she is a lot calmer now, but now gives me a wave when I leave the house! It is worth not 'giving in' at the start to achieve some freedom.

Going out and doing something outdoors does me the world of good. I'm currently plotting to book a carer for a full day, once a month, so that I can go for a long walk with my walking group. Keep cycling!

It must have been very harrowing at the beginning but I’m glad your perseverance paid off. Enjoy your walking!

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
New South Wales Australia
My cycling is a big part of my life though it’s fairly Convoluted now - sometimes I trust my OH for an hour and just get a ride in-
or I take him out on a folding bike (close to ground) for half hour quiet ride - and sometimes his daughter or a friend calls in and :rolleyes: I can cycle - whatever the way- I keep up what I can - and you should too - whatever the social or physical outlet - it keeps us sane !! :D:)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiabarbour