Struggling to talk about it

NaomiBee

Mar 22, 2018
Hey, I’m new here.
My mum was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s a month ago. It came as a real shock as she is only in her fifties. As it’s early stages I’m really struggling to take it all, I’m a really positive person but I’m finding it so hard to not feel down everyday. I’ve only told a few friends and I’m finding it hard to talk about it, even to my husband without getting upset.
I’m glad I’ve found a place to talk to people going through the same thing.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @NaomiBee

Sorry you needed to find this place, but it’s good you did if you need it. Lots of supportive people with lots of suggestions.

You can say all those thoughts without anyone judging you, it’s quite a relief o_O

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @NaomiBee, welcome to TP, you will find this a friendly, informative and supportive place.

A diagnosis of Alzheimer's is a difficult one and you may be feeling what is known as anticipatory grief which is brought on by feelings for a life you think will never be the same again. I felt the same when my wife was diagnosed, but time heals. Do have a good look around the site and never be afraid to ask questions or just express feelings as everyone understands.

One thing I can tell you is that it is possible to live well with dementia. My wife was also early onset and we are living better now than before her diagnosis. Support and medications are available to help people maintain a good quality of life for as long as possible.

Stay strong and good luck to you and your mum.

NaomiBee

Mar 22, 2018
Hello @NaomiBee, welcome to TP, you will find this a friendly, informative and supportive place.

A diagnosis of Alzheimer's is a difficult one and you may be feeling what is known as anticipatory grief which is brought on by feelings for a life you think will never be the same again. I felt the same when my wife was diagnosed, but time heals. Do have a good look around the site and never be afraid to ask questions or just express feelings as everyone understands.

One thing I can tell you is that it is possible to live well with dementia. My wife was also early onset and we are living better now than before her diagnosis. Support and medications are available to help people maintain a good quality of life for as long as possible.

Stay strong and good luck to you and your mum.
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. It really is a comfort to hear that it is possible to live well with dementia. I think I just need to remind myself that it is important to try and live in the present rather than worrying about what I think is to come and what things were in the past.