Good nursing home turned bad.

copsham

Oct 11, 2012
Oxfordshire
An update, as I breathe a sigh of relief. Mother 92 yrs with dementia, was in a care home with good quality care for 5 years, then it went down hill for past 4 months. Neglect of my mother crept up and finally lots of bruising one week followed by hip fracture two weeks later. She thrived in hospital and has been discharged to a different nursing home. She took a few days to settle and then came in to her own. She looks brighter and more relaxed that I have seen her for ages. Obviously her memory remains shattered but that is okay if she is in peace. I have been through the wars. My lessons learnt include:
1. If you are concerned about neglect with hindsight I should have moved her sooner,
2. Keep CQC informed they cannot take action re an individual but letters received guide them as to what they look at when they inspect and also the timing of the inspection.
3. If funded or part funded tell the local authority, they took a keen interest too.
4. If the homes management is a charity/trust and do not effectively deal with your complaints, complain to the ombudsman. I just have and will be awaiting the outcome
5. I involved Adult Safeguarding re the bruising but 4 weeks on I have chased them and no response at all.
6. Believe in your self! Very hard to do when you see a relative suffering.

When my mother first went in to care 5 years ago it was so distressing. It has been just as distressing for the past few weeks. It is a very hard path to travel.

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
Thank you for your update, I am so pleased that your mum looks brighter and more relaxed.
I totally agree with the points you make too.

I had had to move my mum and I also wished I had done it sooner. I felt a lot of guilt about it afterwards, although we didn't actually know until she moved how much she had been suffering (.e.g. her hair was totally matted at the back and had to be cut off, she'd put on weight at the new home straight away). My examples of safeguarding issues to the local authority helped them to build a case and they were able to stop admissions to the home until it improved.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I am glad your mum is being looked after so much better in a different home and your post reinforces the need to go with a gut instinct if you feel things aren't right

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB2CAN