So bizarre !

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Oh - 2Jays, what a busy! few days.

Hope everyone is OK now with no lasting effects on granddau hope you enjoyed grandson a little bit, and sorry about slow lorry, I guess dau2 being stressed was back to the land of teenagers, and no offence to anyone but the general comment in work about 1J would be MEN!

I will try and do an update, but having teenage problems, different ones to Ann's although end result is stropping and speaking to us in a horrid way.

Thank you dolly xx

Juggles Yup MEN!!! Yup teenagers!!! Teenage angst is not pretty out of the mouth of a 32yr old

Grand son a little charmer.... so long as no parent is in sight.... he is a very challenging inquisitive child. My grandma would call him a wilful br*t :eek:.... .. I think of him as a challenging....um...how do I put this...... ahem best not say what I think.... apart from adorable when he is asleep :)

Oh sooo sorry to read you getting mouthy teenager again :(

Squishy hugs to all xxxx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
At least you make me giggle ( and have a sigh of relief) reading about problems! Hope grandkids are OK, 2Jays.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
2Js, what a very worrying time for you and your daughter! I am glad the little one is doing well. Hope you have a little free time to make up for all the extra you have done (((hugs))).

Jm, you have my utmost sympathy! (((hugs))).

Spamar, I hope the police presence did not indicate anything worrying!

Ann, I meant to ask whether you have tried wearing a pair of fine silk gloves? I bought a pair (from Amazon, not expensive) last year to wear under my big gloves when we were up in Norway. One of the best things was that I could actually do things whilst wearing them without having to touch icy metal with my bare hands! I don't know if they would be fine enough for you to use when photographing things, but might be worth a try?

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Not posted properly for a bit, takes to long to type what I want to say!

Ann - pleased to here your sessions with the youngsters were so rewarding, but sorry to hear IT and admin are still taking up time. It sounds like you managed to give MIL as good a birthday as possible.

It sounds like dau is finally trying to behave, hope it lasts longer than good intentions seem to do in this house. A conundrum to persuade her back to college in September, I suspect that turning the financial screw will be a good option. Even though you pay for phone contract, no reason she shouldn't reimburse you from Sept if she is working, I think you mentioned you expect her to pay for driving lessons herself, and a higher sum for keep seem options.

Red - photos are fab, what a trip, we used to canoe out to see seals in Anglesey and they came really close to our boats and that was very special.

Enjoying the bird photos, Carolyn's ones seem so exotic from here, but I guess they are mundane in aus. I saw a large ish looking Robin as I cycled past it on Sunday, and it was only when Ann commented on being puffed up for the cold, that I realised why it was so big.

Spamar - things do take time to get better - it has taken ages for me to get over fluey bug, managed to get round ride with mates, although they had to wait for me a fair bit yesterday - first time in a while.

Car was due MOT and service, needed 2 new tyres, some expensive issues with brakes, so probably cost more than car is worth! Planning to replace before next MOT - we've had it from new and it is 11 years old, lowish mileage in middle of it's life when kids were small (5000 a year) but back to big mileage taking kids round the country to cycle and fence.

Daughter continues to be hard work - to be fair there is no underlying nasty intention, but she just won't listen properly, she had a major row one weekend over physics homework with OH as she wouldn't listen properly, she got in from a mates last Friday and took ages to get to bed, so got absolutely what for and had to be in bed by 10 to be allowed to go out on Wed, which she did. Don't know if it was the good sleep pattern or recovery from illness but she is suddenly a lot brighter - the sleep issue was related to needing it post flu/pneumonia - and whilst she isn't 'training' following flu - she is still wanting to cycle 4 times a week. Another kick off on Thursday morning as she said she hadn't done something(attended an optional biology practical), we both said she should have and instant squawking at us as we have dared to disagree with her, Thursday night she was in bath, I asked her something through the door(I'd misheard about whether she needed a kettle to top bath up), she replied so sarcastically that son went into battle - not good at all. It is very wearing the continual little flare ups. And due to wanting her to cycle we continue to run around after her - and she has had 2 new (second hand) bikes bought this week - unlike some of her peers at school - no car, as bikes cost far more than cheap second hand car and a few years insurance. Hope she can get fit to use them.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Morning all.
Hope everybody is doing well and looking forward to Easter.
I shall be away Mon to Friday, with very little Internet, so not much conversation until next Sat. Will try not to overeat!
Shingles is still there, but getting less. Back still itchy and ribs still ache on occasion. Those were the first things as well.
The lurgy is still spreading round here, gardener got it now. Everybody around me is going down it, but I get shingles., not sure which is worst. They both seem to last for ages!

Keep smiling, hope the various children behave themselves!
Cheers,
S

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning everyone

2jays, that must have been so scary - poor you, poor dau2 and poor granddaughter! I am so glad she is on the mend. I had to laugh at your description of 'challenging' for your grandson - it reminds me of the polite way I tried to describe my son to the teacher, when he was about to start nursery school! He has dyspraxia, dyslexia and ADHD (though not diagnosed at that age) and just never, ever stopped moving, and to think of something was to do it, with no thought to consequences or even danger. The teacher was nice, but kept telling me not to worry, she was very experienced, so I dropped him off and returned 3 hours later to find all the other little new scholars lined up nicely, with the teacher at the back of the line. She had firm hold of my son with one hand, and in her other hand she held his dripping wet school jumper. She looked totally worn out. As I nervously approached she launched into an absolute avalanche of explanation, and you have to imagine this said in a very strong Welsh accent, and delivered at high speed - "Fast, isn't he? Only turned my back for a minute and he was in the water. He doesn't stop, does he? 33 children in this class, but he doesn't sit down, does he? He never stops! Fast, isn't he?". By which stage, I am trying not to laugh and thinking 'well, I did try to tell you'. Thankfully, he did grow out of it, and is now a very responsible and actually, quite a thougtful young man, and a total charmer too - but Oh, if your grandson is anything like him in the early childhood days, I do feel for you!

Spamar, Hope the incident with the police wasn't anything too dreadful. And I hope you are listening to the advice to be kind to yourself after the shingles. I was talking to an old neighbour of Mil's, a week or so ago - I meant to say this in my last post - and I remembered her having shingles a few years back, so I asked her how long it took her to get over it - she told me that it was at least 3 or 4 months till she felt back to 'normal', in terms of not being easily tired all the time - so please, give yourself time too xxxxx And have a fabulous week away x

Slugsta, the sauna is a tiny 2 person one, bought second hand on ebay, for about £150 - OH got it after reading that infra-red heated sauna's are supposedly really good for fibromyalgia sufferers, so I try and use it at least twice a week. In terms of it helping with the pain, well, it definitely relaxes and refreshes me, so I guess that helps. Because the pain tends to 'flare', it's hard to judge what impact it has besides that. I hadn't thought of silk gloves - that would maybe work! Cold definitely doesn't help, so it's worth me trying it - thank you x

OH has had a rotten week in work, just really stressful, as that job can sometimes be and it led to a long chat about his absorbtion with the job, to the exclusion of him having any interest in anything dau or I say or do. I think it was a good time to talk to him, stuff happening at work made him more open to listening, so hopefully, he will start to switch off andd take more interest in life outside of his job now.

Oh, JM - Don't I just know what you mean about how exhausting the continual flare ups are! You can't say anything, not make the simplest request or comment, without being accused of using a nasty tone of voice, or having what you have said totally misinterpreted. Any excuse for a row, and so sick of rude responses. The bedroom has been done here - but my goodness - such hard work! She started on Thursday and, yesterday was her last chance to get it finished properly. However, I could hear her on the phone and video chatting with her mates, so I knew that she wasn't making much of an effort. By 6pm, I walked into her room to check - she was sitting on the bed, phone in hand, and though it was better, it wasn't done. I repeated the warning, and that was the cue to have her starting to strop up and down the stairs, sarcastic comments, rude comments, accusations of us 'nagging' and how this was all 'just an excuse' for us to stop paying for her phone, how unfair we were, etc, etc. She got very short shrift, at one point a real dressing down, we refused to allow her to use her behaviour as a distraction from the task, and finally, finally it was done. She now has to keep it clean. To make sure she knows I am serious, I have stuck to my guns about not doing her washing, not lending her money (she always asks to 'borrow' bus fare etc, and I never see that back!) and not giving her lifts. That last sanction came close to starting another row this morning. Her shift starts before the public transport starts running today, and as she is working in the big leisure centre in town, a 3 mile plus walk, she has had to get a taxi. Normally she would get a lift. She was clearly very hopeful that I would cave and take her today, and when she realised I wasn't going to oblige, the huffs and puffs, and moans about having to get a taxi, how much it would cost, etc, etc, were all clearly designed to make me feel guilty. To add to it all, she had 'forgotten' to draw out cash to pay yesterday, and at the very least, I think she expected me to stump up the fare - didn't happen. And so she has had to ask the taxi to make a detour to a cash point on the way - which will add to the cost - and she is not a happy bunny. But, although I did feel a bit guilty, I stuck to my guns, and if I keep doing that, maybe she will realise that she can't behave like she does without consequence. Of course, it will probably be a case of 'maybe pigs will fly' too :rolleyes:

My best friend and I had our long awaited night out on Friday, going to see Blood Brothers. I knew the story, knew the songs - but this was my first time seeing the full production. Oh, boy - just amazing! So fabulous. Lyn Paul (how many of you remember her from the group 'The New Seekers'? ) was just wonderful as Mrs Johnston, and it was really hard to believe that she is 69 years old - she looks younger than me! The actor playing Micky, Sean Jones, was brilliant - had us laughing and crying by turns. And the narrators voice was beautiful. Totally wrung out by the end, but could have stayed and watched the whole play again. It was a late finish, we didn't get out of the theatre till after 10.45, and then an hour or so drive home, midnight before we got back. Then my stupid shoulder decided to give me some serious pain issues, and it was gone 2a.m. before I managed to get about 3 hours sleep. Probably sitting on the edge of my seat for much of the second act caused that - but it was worth it. Friend and I have decided that we are going to aim for a theatre trip at least every couple of months, now - we both love going, and don't manage it nearly as much as we would like.

Work is - well - work. No evidence that anything has changed, so far, despite most of us now having spoken out about the situation. A trip to HR on the cards - really dreading it, just want to do my job and enjoy it, without the constant pressure to do so many extras and yet still reach my targets :(

Usual house catch up today, followed by a visit to Mil - lets see if the cushion talk has had any effect. Just 9 days till our wedding anniversary and our short trip to Spain - can't wait! And oldest phoned yesterday to tell us that she will be coming home for 3 or 4 days, the day we get back from our break - which makes coming home a little more palatable, at least. I quite fancy going out somewhere today - even just for a run up the coast or similar - we'll see what OH thinks, when he eventually emerges from his bed, lol.

Hope you all have relaxing rest of the weekend - take care all xxx

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Don't I just know what you mean about how exhausting the continual flare ups are! You can't say anything, not make the simplest request or comment, without being accused of using a nasty tone of voice, or having what you have said totally misinterpreted.

yep - know what you mean, although to be fair to my dau, much of her really poor behaviour can be attributed to tiredness, and it was like a switch had been flicked on Wednesday and she has suddenly recovered from illness and tiredness is not there (I thought recent tiredness was illness rather than iron levels - different presentation and strops not as bad). She managed her first decent bike ride post pneumonia yesterday, and whilst tired from it, not fatigued due to illness/iron. The ride is often flat into Cheshire, but this week they hit the hills, into the Halkyns, and went to Caerwys, so even more impressed.

As for the lift situation, dau has often walked to nearest station, 1.5 miles away when I'm in work, or Cheshire Oaks nearer 2 miles away, so if the taxi is too much suggest she walks. As my gran told me, in her day (born in 1910) she had to walk several miles to and from primary school from the age of 4.

@2jays description reminded my of my son. He son never ever sat still until he was gone 2, never ever played with any toys as concentration wasn't good enough, my mum when looking after him just didn't know what to make of him, and how to cope, when we visited MIL, who dresses in woollen skirts and still lives in the 1950s, and is very staid and old fashioned, saw him, she knew what to expect, and pointed out she had had 2 sons who had behaved the same. I think she was less phased than we were. Not diagnosed although school tests have once again said dyslexic tendencies, and one friend has queried ADHD. Concentration is such a big issue, although he is very proud that he concentrated on his map reading on Friday night, didn't get lost, and massively improved his performance on night hike challenge compared to previously. OH is building a model plane from Balsa wood and we can see that is improving his concentration, as is dyslexic specific software from school.

Theatre trip sounds fab, glad you enjoyed it.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Ann, OMG, really? I’m 6 weeks in.☹️☹️
JM it’s an Easter avatar, couldn’t resist it!
My father told me that at one stage he walked 6 miles to school - and 6 miles back! He was born just before your gran, I think.
He also used to do things like picking stones from fields for the farmer, and catching moles. There were 6 children, his father was a farm labourer, so no money! Kids had to do their bit.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Sounds like a plan re the daughter Ann. It’s so hard to deal with and carry it through isn’t in :(

Sorry, had to laugh out loud about first day of nursery for your son. I know it’s wrong, but you do relate things so well. I have a vivid picture with sound in my mind :)

Have a great time Spamar. We’ve got beautful sunshine. Hope the sun shines on you all holiday

Juggles - saw recently that my son in law has named his bikes... one is called uncle John.... he insists it’s the name of the bike, but he does have an uncle John... :D

As a granny.... I cannot be too blunt in my opinion of the grandson. I do not have experience of ADHD or such like, but my thoughts have been going that way... he’s a bit like “dangerousadult in the making”.... daughter says her OH was a challenge as a child, and he’s ok now..... she thinks I’m trying to label son.... I shall step back and be around when needed

I bought a lovely suit yesterday for my next visit.... it’s got something like keff lar padding and comes with delightful rubber gloves, just in case I need to extract grandchild from electricity :D :D

Last edited:

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I would like sunshine as well, 2Jays. Unfortunately, the forecast is rain every day, all day, except Tuesday, when rain is morning and evening. When it’s not raining, it’s blowing hard. I keep telling myself, it’s only a forecast!
Well I’m working really well this am ( toungue in cheek) . I’ve changed the clocks that don’t change themselves, and I’ve done the last minute washing and ironing. Now my backs hurting, so just HAD to sit down to ease it!

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I’m a clock-o-holic.... I have rather a lot.... I love the look of the different ones....

I wish I wasn’t one, especially on clock changing day..... the only one that auto changes is the one in my phone.....

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
We don't have many clocks.

Cooker done last night, phone, central heating and computer all do themselves, kitchen clock and microwave just done after seeing this post.

My watch managed to go onto 'T2' time a few weeks ago, couldn't work out how to get it back to 'T1' - realised midweek when I was going to ask one of kids to help me, no need T2 is BST.

Car clock can van clocks still to do. Think my Garmin did itself.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Afternoon,

Spamar, I too love the new avatar! :) I hope your back pain eases and that you have a lovely time away, whatever the weather.

2J's your grandson sounds a 'handful'. Take heart from the fact that Ann's son is now a kind, thoughtful and mature young man.

Ann, my son wasn't anywhere near as bad as your youngest, but I do remember how exhausting it was to be constantly on edge for fear of a strop (((hugs))). I hope that the sanctions do the trick and bring about an improvement in her behaviour.

Jm, I'm glad that your daughter's behaviour is better now that she is not so tired. I remember that it took me a full 6 months to feel completely back to normal after I had pneumonia.

OH had a bowls match today - the final of a competition and his first 'Title'. It was an intra-club competition for those who had not won anything previously. He is sooooo pleased with himself (and his partner as it was a pairs competition). Then we went out for lunch. Home now to settle down in front of the TV - although I don't know how long either of us will stay awake!

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Slugsta - well done to OH on his title.

I've just tried to start the lawnmower but its not wanting to.

been out on bike for a couple of hours.

Son's turn to throw a spanner in the works today.