Diagnostic Tests other than MMSE

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
Hello, I've read many times on Talking Point that MMSE is not necessarily a reliable test for dementia. From your experience have you found other tests to be more reliable or are they all equally unhelpful (and if so, why use them?) Does anyone have experience of the Frontal Assessment Battery (FAB), DO80 or Grober and Buschke?

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
The MMSE test as devised years ago as a test for cognitive function and it's use today is still pretty much that.
I would also say that any testing of this nature should be carried out by a qualified person as it is the interpretation of the results that is the important thing.

I don't believe that there is any one test that will give a diagnosis of dementia. My concerns about my husband came years before his diagnosis and were about his behaviour, long term memory issues, language comprehension, confusion etc etc etc.

He had a lot of tests, scans etc and hours of neuropsychological testing conducted by a highly qualified practioner and was diagnosed almost four years ago. Even now he can still play bridge and scores 27/30 on the MMSE.

Memory problems can be caused by any number of things - stress, vitamin deficiency etc so it would be wise not to jump to conclusions but to have a chat with a GP.

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
Thank you, Beate and Lawson58. I've been tested with the MMSE 3 times, first 2 times 29/30 and now 30/30. I also scored high on the other tests in spite of feeling that my memory and other cognitive abilities have worsened in the last 6 months so I'm left very confused.

Peachez

Jun 19, 2016
South East England
I have this with my OH, he's highly intelligent, and so cognitive function can fall a long long way before it shows up on these tests, which are meant for 'average' people, but he still flies through... There is no doubt though that he has problems, just like @Lawson58 's OH, his behaviour, long term memory issues, language & comprehension, confusion ... and always so much worse when he's tired too..

He's going for another MRI soon, and will be having other spoken tests, if I find out what they are I'll let you know. I've sat in on his usual one twice now, the MoCA ...not sure if I'll be there for the others though.

Last edited:

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
Thank you Peachez and phulamillan. I'd forgotten all about MCI. I did look into it a lot some months ago. But if they suspect MCI, surely they would say so, as according to the above link there are actions you can take to help stop MCI turning into dementia?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
But if they suspect MCI, surely they would say so, as according to the above link there are actions you can take to help stop MCI turning into dementia?

Dementia/AZ will progress, some medications may slow the progress, possibly certain diets may help but all they can do, if they work at all, is slow down the natural progression of what is at this moment incurable disease.
Tests may monitor the decline but that's not a cure, some people can get a higher score months after they get a lower score as some aspects of the tests are subjective.
Many older people have to some degree an MCI, doesn't mean it will go on to become dementia but even if an MCI is found if some physical cause like Vitamin B deficiency isn't found then there is no real treatment, certainly nothing can "stop MCI turning into dementia" if the cause is AZ, VD, PCA or whatever there is no current treatment to stop or reverse most forms of dementia.
K

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Thank you Peachez and phulamillan. I'd forgotten all about MCI. I did look into it a lot some months ago. But if they suspect MCI, surely they would say so, as according to the above link there are actions you can take to help stop MCI turning into dementia?
It doesn't actually say that. It says there are certain things you could try to minimise the risk of both MCI AND dementia. It does not say anything about the risk of MCI developing INTO dementia.

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
@Beate I have to correct you. I've just re-read the information in the link you gave. It says:

"There is a lot that someone can do to help reduce their chances of MCI progressing to dementia."