At the end of my tether...

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
Some days it seems mum spends more time in bed than out and it is a worry but if he has been up a lot through the night, eating, he hopefully just feels tired and not hungry now. Just keep,an eye on him but don’t panic. You have the meeting tomorrow so that might help with knowing what to expect etc. Let us know how it goes.

Hope you are starting to feel better. Having a woolly head doesn’t help!

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Thanks @Rolypoly

That's what we're thinking and I don't want to put him thru the rigmarole he had yesterday if it can be avoided. I feel a bit better today, hoping to be well by tomorrow.

How are you feeling today?

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
The hacking cough is now sneezes and packed sinuses with occasional cough thrown in for good measure. Still have the temperature. Did have a shower earlier in the hope it would make me feel better but it just made me feel cleaner and less smelly! Still in bed which in a way isn’t the best place to be but it keeps me away from mum. She has day centre tomorrow so I hope to venture downstairs.

Glad you are feeling better and hopefully fighting fit tomorrow!

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Well the meeting with the emergency nhs assessor was about as much use as a chocolate teapot. She did arrange for the Red Cross to deliver a toilet frame but dad keeps moving it into the hall. He uses the radiator and the shower door handle to pull himself off the loo as I found out yesterday when the OT came to do her assessment.

Dad was having a bad day when I arrived yesterday, he asked me where I'd been as he was worried about me...then asked if he lived there...then asked if he lived there alone... This is the first time he's said this to me, although the home help did mention he'd asked where all his nearest and dearest were. I'm struggling to deal with this.

The OT decided there was no point in giving him a walking aid as he wouldn't use it (she's not wrong). Dad got away with the "making the coffee" test as I'd already boiled the kettle to make him one twenty minutes before...she suggested we leave him a flask. I nearly bought him one from Lidl on Monday - bet they've sold out now!!
Can't have a handle fitted in shower as the plastic walls won't hold the weight (the shower curtain rail I fitted on a similar wall is still there 5years later) so I'm going to fit the one I've got lying about in the garage with really long screws :cool:.
She also suggested a personal alarm pendant, but as he doesn't remember to wear he glasses, which he's had for the last 30odd years, I can't see that working. And she suggested getting a carer in first thing to help with breakfast and washing and dressing. Dad was insulted!! He said he's not a dirty person...
Apart from a key safe she thought we'd got it covered. I'll be fitting that too..

DollyBird16

Sep 5, 2017
Greater London
Hi @Bunpoots
Had the same with shower rail at Mums, opted for these, they work a treat, I got them on Amazon, lots of internet places do them.

Agree it’s so hard isn’t it.

940F6784-1A39-4E4A-B633-08AA48A2FB05.jpeg

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
I found mum using the basin and towel rail to hoist herself off the toilet. Just waiting for the towel rail to come out the wall! What’s the betting she won’t know how it happened.:eek:

I tried similar grips in the shower that were from Argos (I think) but they didn’t stay on the wall long. I gave up in the end as it was safer to have nothing. Might have a look at these one instead.

Love that your dad puts the toilet seat in the hall, as long as he doesn’t start using it there!

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I found mum using the basin and towel rail to hoist herself off the toilet. Just waiting for the towel rail to come out the wall! What’s the betting she won’t know how it happened.:eek:

I tried similar grips in the shower that were from Argos (I think) but they didn’t stay on the wall long. I gave up in the end as it was safer to have nothing. Might have a look at these one instead.

Love that your dad puts the toilet seat in the hall, as long as he doesn’t start using it there!

Should we laugh or cry?! :eek:

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
If we cried we might not stop so laughing would be the best course of action, that and silent screaming!

Primula1

Mar 20, 2018
I'm watching Star Trek now. They're approaching warp 9 :D
Hi I can relate to everything you are going through, as I am having the same with my mom. I am doing more and more personal care (which doesn’t seem as bad as if it was my dad). My dad died 2 years ago so I am left looking after Mom who has vascular dementia. She still lives alone and we have also had a walker from OH, which she never uses, a stick which she just leaves wherever, a food trolley which is a hanger for towels, a loo frame (which she does use) and the offer of a alarm round her neck which I refused as I knew she would never Press it!

She is incontinent at times but not all the while, and although we have moved her bed downstairs has not been in it for the last to weeks so now her ankles are swelling as she also has heart failure.

I am quite fed up of saying the same things to her and the very surreal conversations that we sometimes have! But at times we do have to laugh (or I might have a drink!).

My knees are killing me, my back is aching and to top it all spring is coming so now I will also have 2 gardens to look after!!

Oh well I suppose that’s life!!!!

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi I can relate to everything you are going through, as I am having the same with my mom. I am doing more and more personal care (which doesn’t seem as bad as if it was my dad). My dad died 2 years ago so I am left looking after Mom who has vascular dementia. She still lives alone and we have also had a walker from OH, which she never uses, a stick which she just leaves wherever, a food trolley which is a hanger for towels, a loo frame (which she does use) and the offer of a alarm round her neck which I refused as I knew she would never Press it!

She is incontinent at times but not all the while, and although we have moved her bed downstairs has not been in it for the last to weeks so now her ankles are swelling as she also has heart failure.

I am quite fed up of saying the same things to her and the very surreal conversations that we sometimes have! But at times we do have to laugh (or I might have a drink!).

My knees are killing me, my back is aching and to top it all spring is coming so now I will also have 2 gardens to look after!!

Oh well I suppose that’s life!!!!

Hi @Primula1 it sounds like a mirror image of my life!! And I'm going to refuse the lifeline unless they've got one which can press its own button :rolleyes:

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
And I'm going to refuse the lifeline unless they've got one which can press its own button :rolleyes:

I think you can ones on the wrist that are meant to self activate when the person falls, although not sure how well they work.

And these words were the minibus song on a university canoe club surf trip back when I was young "There's Klingons on the starboard bow, starboard bow, starboard bow; there's Klingons on the starboard bow, starboard bow, Jim. Analysis, Mr. Spock. It's life, Jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it, not as we know it; it's life, Jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it, Captain. There's Klingons on the starboard bow, ..."

I was the only female, and got to drive the minibus as I was 'just' old enough - never driven a minibus, never towed, we had a trailer with 13 canoes, and off on a 5 hour drive to Cornwall - the driving was shared between 3 of us - fab memories of a fab trip - which is why any reference to Star Trek is spotted.