Driving concerns!

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Hi can I want to point something out to you , You can continue Driving whilst the DVLA deals with your application you don't have to stop driving, see attached response from DVLA remember I have lots of experience on the subject looking at thought the eyes of a person with dementia
I’m in the situation atm where the DVLA are contacting my gp & memory clinic even thought I passed my driving assessment a few weeks ago. I’ve been told by the DVLA if I’m happy to continue driving whilst they make their enquiries I can.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
I’m in the situation atm where the DVLA are contacting my gp & memory clinic even thought I passed my driving assessment a few weeks ago. I’ve been told by the DVLA if I’m happy to continue driving whilst they make their enquiries I can.
Hi P.J hope everything go well having said the if you passed your assessment there shouldn’t be a problem , P.J I actually joined T.P in March 2005 to answer a question on Driving with dementia and believe me it always kicks off a debate on T.P however my personal situation It was first suggested to me in July 2000 by the Consultant I should inform the DVLA I did and it took to September 2001 before the DVLA decided to give a Driving Licence for a period of 12 months it took me until 2013 to get that over turned a re gain my Full driving licence (albeit by this time I was over seventy years of age so a full licence is only 3 years) but I did succeed in getting my full licence back the same as every other Seventy year old person. I know everyone is has different situation and attitude to this But I would have missed out on 18 years of driving which is a long time If I gave up and didn’t stay positive , as I said previously I was diagnosed with dementia but a long way of being demented or Senile

Ps someone's Insurance Question Never had a problem with Insurers, and I drive 2 Cars and until November last year had a large long wheel base Van as well So had 3 vehicles Insured

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Hi P.J hope everything go well having said the if you passed your assessment there shouldn’t be a problem , P.J I actually joined T.P in March 2005 to answer a question on Driving with dementia and believe me it always kicks off a debate on T.P however my personal situation It was first suggested to me in July 2000 by the Consultant I should inform the DVLA I did and it took to September 2001 before the DVLA decided to give a Driving Licence for a period of 12 months it took me until 2013 to get that over turned a re gain my Full driving licence (albeit by this time I was over seventy years of age so a full licence is only 3 years) but I did succeed in getting my full licence back the same as every other Seventy year old person. I know everyone is has different situation and attitude to this But I would have missed out on 18 years of driving which is a long time If I gave up and didn’t stay positive , as I said previously I was diagnosed with dementia but a long way of being demented or Senile

Ps someone's Insurance Question Never had a problem with Insurers, and I drive 2 Cars and until November last year had a large long wheel base Van as well So had 3 vehicles Insured
Hi Tony it does sound like you’ve had a lot of experience with the DVLA. As for my insurance I’ve not been advised by anybody to check with them. You’re right it shouldn’t be an issue as my driving assessment was fine :)

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi Tony it does sound like you’ve had a lot of experience with the DVLA. As for my insurance I’ve not been advised by anybody to check with them. You’re right it shouldn’t be an issue as my driving assessment was fine :)

Hi P.J good new on the assessment well done, however you must inform your insurers when you have a definite answer from DVLA , I can tell you the Insures won’t ask about the illness they will ask (1) have you informed DVLA of a medical condition “ if the answer is yes “

their next question will be is the medical Licence for : 1 , 2, or 3 years and that’s it P.J
I have never had to pay any extra premium’s because of the 1 year licence but hay I have a Full licence now so insurance question doesn't arise for me:):) by the way I omitted previously to say I also ride a motorcycle a Kawaski 100sx :D but at age 75 I may have to give that up soon:(

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Hi P.J good new on the assessment well done, however you must inform your insurers when you have a definite answer from DVLA , I can tell you the Insures won’t ask about the illness they will ask (1) have you informed DVLA of a medical condition “ if the answer is yes “

their next question will be is the medical Licence for : 1 , 2, or 3 years and that’s it P.J
I have never had to pay any extra premium’s because of the 1 year licence but hay I have a Full licence now so insurance question doesn't arise for me:):) by the way I omitted previously to say I also ride a motorcycle a Kawaski 100sx :D but at age 75 I may have to give that up soon:(
Ah that’s interesting so I will have to contact the ins at some point. I love motorbikes I used to ride one when many years ago.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Ah that’s interesting so I will have to contact the ins at some point. I love motorbikes I used to ride one when many years ago.

If your an EX Biker P.J I take it you watched the Motogp last Sunday, once its in you system its always there I attached a PDF of my bike over 3 years old now only ride in dry weather :):) the bikes today so much more power than when i had my first road back in 1959 Triumph 500cc no restrictions back then Both my Children have motorbikes been riding since age of 4 there late forties now

Attachments

• bike .pdf
    129.2 KB · Views: 516

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
Today he saw the doctor who categorically said he must surrender his driving license, and I agree because I could see that he was no longer safe. The final straw was when he drank and then drove home, something he would never have done before dementia struck but it had already become clear that he should stop. I have a great sense of relief even though he is upset and realising that he is declining all the time. Circumstances do alter cases and giving up your license is not necessary for everyone. He admitted that he would not be able to complete the medical form unless he had help. All so sad.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
If your an EX Biker P.J I take it you watched the Motogp last Sunday, once its in you system its always there I attached a PDF of my bike over 3 years old now only ride in dry weather :):) the bikes today so much more power than when i had my first road back in 1959 Triumph 500cc no restrictions back then Both my Children have motorbikes been riding since age of 4 there late forties now
No I didn’t watch the MotoGP :) I used to love Triumphs. I don’t know why but when I press on your link it just shows lots of writing? I’m using an iPhone so maybe that’s why :)

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
No I didn’t watch the MotoGP :) I used to love Triumphs. I don’t know why but when I press on your link it just shows lots of writing? I’m using an iPhone so maybe that’s why :)

Hi P.J yes I just looked at it on my Ipad and see what you mean when I open it on computer its a pdf no problem however i will try to upload a photo fingers crossed and Yes I loved the Triumph it was a speed twin hope the photo works

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Hi Yorkie,
Does your husband take insulin for his diabetes ( many people with difficult to control type 2 diabetes do)? Even if he is not on insulin certain anti diabetic medications can put him at risk of hypoglycaemia which can affect his driving safety. If his controls is poor / erratic this will also affect his cognitive abilities (whether his sugars are too high or too low) - has he had a review of this recently, could his Gp or practice nurse be of any help?

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Didn't Yorkie46 say that his driving terrifies her and she won't let him drive the grandchild? Someone once said if you don't trust a person to drive your own children/grandchildren, you need to protect other people's children by reporting the driver to the DVLA. I agree with this, just as I agree with you that not everyone with a dementia diagnosis needs to stop driving.

I’m sorry Normaleila, but I did ask Yorkie46 how old her husband was and replied to her.

yorkie46 said:

Hi Tony
My husband is 82 and I stress that although I believe he has dementia he doesn't actually have a diagnosis.
Does anyone know what will happen if I report him to dvla. I understand that this can be don confidentially.

Hi Yorkie46 thanks for the reply I obviously age does make a difference, my reason for asking when I was first diagnosed age 57 My dementia did not impact in anyway on my driving Plus I was an essential car user so to continue working I needed a Car this allowed me to I carried on working for a further 8 years until my retirement at age 65. I still drive today 19 years after my first diagnoses.

If you feel your husband is a danger I would imagine you could report him but why not talk to your GP and get him to do it for you,
sorry can’t give you much advice "I spent years fighting DVLA to retain my license"

Hope it works all out well for you though

Wifenotcarer

Mar 11, 2018
Central Scotland
Today he saw the doctor who categorically said he must surrender his driving license, and I agree because I could see that he was no longer safe. The final straw was when he drank and then drove home, something he would never have done before dementia struck but it had already become clear that he should stop. I have a great sense of relief even though he is upset and realising that he is declining all the time. Circumstances do alter cases and giving up your license is not necessary for everyone. He admitted that he would not be able to complete the medical form unless he had help. All so sad.
The biggest hurdle we have had to overcome on our dementia journey was DH's anger about having to relinquish his driving licence. He had been driving for 60 years and had never even had a parking ticket. let alone a speeding fine or a 'bump'. Add into the mix that I had always been an occasional driver, who never drove when DH was in the car, because he treated every trip as a driving lesson for me. The worst back seat driver I have ever encountered. It has now been 6 months and surprisingly he has become accustomed to having a 'chauffeur', has even complimented me on the execution of a tricky bit of parking and driving every day has made me more confident. Hopefully, your DH will also come to accept the situation, sooner rather than later.

PS When I applied to our Car Insurance people to have the insurance amended to show me as sole driver instead of just 2nd named driver, I was surprised that the premium dropped by a fair bit because I am 7 years younger than DH.

Last edited:

LesleyPort

Nov 4, 2017
@yorkie46 @Tony My dad recently did the driving assessment and I was disgusted with how he was treated, and fear for future people who do the assessment.
He was taken into a room for an hour with the assessor and occupational therapist. He was not tested on any road signs it was more like when he was diagnosed the test he did then. He had to draw a clock, shown a number of circles and had to say which one was in the middle, along with other tests. Whilst he was doing this they had a radio playing he asked for it to be turned off but they say they leave it on to see if he is easily distracted.
They then took him out for a drive, he would clearly have been tired from the little tests he had been doing for the last hour, no drink break.
Sadly he failed, which he has accepted but I do feel it is an unfair process.
Whilst waiting for my dad I was speaking to a lady who's husband passed but 2 weeks later the DVLA contacted him to say he could not drive any longer due to the medication for dementia that he is on.

Rant over but I do feel the process is very unfair considering my dad paid £50 for the privilege or being put through it and would certainly not recommend to anyone.

yorkie46

Jan 28, 2014
Southampton
Hi LesleyPort

This wasn't what happened with my husband. The assessment was only carried out in our own vehicle on the road. It was purely a driving skills assessment, no other tests.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi LesleyPort

This wasn't what happened with my husband. The assessment was only carried out in our own vehicle on the road. It was purely a driving skills assessment, no other tests.

Hi Yorkie46 well you certainly started a debate and it is important that we get this right and remove all drivers from our roads who do not show the confidence and ability to drive safely.

I don't know where or who your husband carried out his assessment with but when I did my assessment it was a rigorous test and I did use my own Vehicle for the road test and I paid for the assessment myself and have attached a copy of the report obviously removed confidential bits .

Yorkie46 I’m sorry for using your thread to give support and advise to P.J but I need to let P.J and others know its not all doom and gloom we can still drive albeit we have to go through these tests but at the end of the day its worth it “if you pass” probably tears if you fail :mad:

Hope you get a satisfactory :) result for you both

Last edited:

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Hi P.J yes I just looked at it on my Ipad and see what you mean when I open it on computer its a pdf no problem however i will try to upload a photo fingers crossed and Yes I loved the Triumph it was a speed twin hope the photo works
WOW that’s a stunning bike!! Great colour too

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
@yorkie46 @Tony My dad recently did the driving assessment and I was disgusted with how he was treated, and fear for future people who do the assessment.
He was taken into a room for an hour with the assessor and occupational therapist. He was not tested on any road signs it was more like when he was diagnosed the test he did then. He had to draw a clock, shown a number of circles and had to say which one was in the middle, along with other tests. Whilst he was doing this they had a radio playing he asked for it to be turned off but they say they leave it on to see if he is easily distracted.
They then took him out for a drive, he would clearly have been tired from the little tests he had been doing for the last hour, no drink break.
Sadly he failed, which he has accepted but I do feel it is an unfair process.
Whilst waiting for my dad I was speaking to a lady who's husband passed but 2 weeks later the DVLA contacted him to say he could not drive any longer due to the medication for dementia that he is on.

Rant over but I do feel the process is very unfair considering my dad paid £50 for the privilege or being put through it and would certainly not recommend to anyone.
Hi @LesleyPort I’m so sorry to read that your dad had such a bad experience. I was fortunate as the centre I went to couldn’t have been more welcoming & reassuring. I did all of the things you mentioned above, including radio on (to try & distract me). I’m so sorry to hear your dad is now unable to drive. It must be very stressful.
I phoned the DVLA today to follow up on my investigation (as although I passed the assessment they did tell me they’d need to inform the DVLA of my cognitive issues). Whilst on the phone I asked if I should contact my insurance & they advised me to check with the memory clinic :) so I’m awaitung a call back today hopefully.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Hi Yorkie46 well you certainly started a debate and it is important that we get this right and remove all drivers from our roads who do not show the confidence and ability to drive safely.

I don't know where or who your husband carried out his assessment with but when I did my assessment it was a rigorous test and I did use my own Vehicle for the road test and I paid for the assessment myself and have attached a copy of the report obviously removed confidential bits .

Yorkie46 I’m sorry for using your thread to give support and advise to P.J but I need to let P.J and others know its not all doom and gloom we can still drive albeit we have to go through these tests but at the end of the day its worth it “if you pass” probably tears if you fail :mad:

Hope you get a satisfactory :) result for you both
Tony I must log onto my pc to read the above document you’ve put on :)

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Tony I must log onto my pc to read the above document you’ve put on :)

Hi P.J yes you will because it’s a PDF file but reading your reply to LesleyPort It looks like your assessment was very similar to mine , I also note you said I phoned the DVLA today to follow up on my investigation (as although I passed the assessment they did tell me they’d need to inform the DVLA of my cognitive issues). Whilst on the phone I asked if I should contact my insurance & they advised me to check with the memory clinic
clip_image001.png
so I’m awaitung a call back today hopefully.

It just proved my point your dealing with bureaucrats P.J they haven’t a clue my friend Ok you can inform you insurers that you have Dementia But they will ask if DVLA has issued a licence for 1 , 2 or 3 years P.J you haven’t got the information yet it will all work out fine Don’t Worry its great that I can help you on the T.P forum

Glade you like the bike I don’t usually mention that on T.P but cats out the bag now P.J

yorkie46

Jan 28, 2014
Southampton
Hi Tony
Yes you're right there seems to be a huge division of opinion and experience regarding this issue.
When my husband and I did the driving assessment it was nothing like what you describe, I have looked at your report. We had no memory or cognitive tests. The assessor came to our home and we went out with her in our vehicle. My husband went first which meant that the assessor had an opportunity to mention a few things to me about his driving. She asked us to follow a particular route for part of the drive then told us to return home on whichever route we chose. She told me that he had been inclined to argue with any suggestions she made about when he didn't do things quite correctly. He told me later that he was never doing that again, it was just like a driving test and the things she'd said were ridiculous! I found it a very relaxed session and accepted any points she made. Maybe it depends whether you actually have a diagnosis what assessment you have, my husband has no diagnosis it was just a recommendation made by the memory clinic. Yes we paid for it too.