Care home fee annual increases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leeds

Sep 20, 2015
Hi so the obligatory letter has arrived and mums fees have gone up by 7.5% this year, following a 5% increase last year. Both times, the care home are using the increase in minimum wage to try and justify it.

All in all, Mums been there now 18 months and has gone from paying £930/pw to £1050/pw

That seems like quite the rise to me. The question I have, is (without moving homes, which would not be good for Mum, but also not impossible) is there actually anything at all we can do about this ?

I'd also be intrigued to know if the same fees are being applied to new entrants, which won't be hard to find out of course.

Mum is self funding, & has earlyish dementia but is really one of the easiest patients they have.
I have just managed to negotiate a reduction on Dad’s increase from 16%, down to 6%. I asked them to provide evidence for the increases and referred to average costs of care for the sector. It’s worth a try, good luck x

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
And when Care home fees are dealt with in the same way as free school meals, through taxation, then it would be a lot fairer...

At the moment it appears to be a small number of self funders subsidising council places, in homes that take both.

This would be the same as the 'non free school meal pupils' directly funding the free school meal pupils within the same school.

I think you somewhat miss my point.

You say you're duty as poa is to ensure that you aren't subsidising the la rate. Perhaps move to a care home that doesn't take la funded residents.

My mother scrimped and saved and I am very glad she won't be aware enough to know how much her care costs when she goes into a ch.

As for free school meal analogy wealthier parents fundraise via pta events to effectively subsidise.

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
I help fund people who can’t afford the care they need and deserve. I pay Council tax and income tax. Do I complain about it, no, in 10,20 years I may need it as well.

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
I think you somewhat miss my point.

You say you're duty as poa is to ensure that you aren't subsidising the la rate. Perhaps move to a care home that doesn't take la funded residents.

My mother scrimped and saved and I am very glad she won't be aware enough to know how much her care costs when she goes into a ch.

As for free school meal analogy wealthier parents fundraise via pta events to effectively subsidise.

I dont know of any care homes that dont take LA people.

You dont understand what Yellowduck means do you? If wealthier parents help to fundraise it certainly doesnt go to pay for school meals for less wealthy children.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Yes, I know, but thought maybe there had been a misunderstanding.

Sorry, I didn't mean that to imply you weren't right. And of course even la subsidized residents may have family members prepared to make top ups.

I also think there has been a misunderstanding.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I dont know of any care homes that dont take LA people.

You dont understand what Yellowduck means do you? If wealthier parents help to fundraise it certainly doesnt go to pay for school meals for less wealthy children.

I apologise for appearing so stupid to you. I am clearly so stupid to say such things as I don't understand anything Yellowduck is saying.I think just like Yellowduck you have missed my point entirely.

I repeat I AM NOT STUPID

Status
Not open for further replies.