Nursing care for those under 65 yrs old.

mad_geordie

Nov 5, 2008
Newcastle
My hubby has been in hospital ( section 3 ) since early Nov last year. He is in late stages of Alzheimers and will be 58 yrs old in 2 weeks time. ( point 1 )

We have had initial discharge meeting and he needs EMI nursing care ( point 2 ) , along with one to one staffing during day time (point 3 ). He is extreme high risk of falls, along with his general health being poor too.

We were given 4 x A4 sheets of homes in our borough but this gets narrowed down to just 4 places that do EMI nursing, and then cuts down to 2 places as the other 2 do not take those under 65 yrs of age. The whole process is a nightmare.

I don't want to look too far afield outside the borough, as this will make visiting very difficult and I strongly believe that family contact is vital even at this late stage.

Today it has been suggested we have a 'best interests' meeting with hospital staff, soc worker and CPN to see what his future options are. Does anyone have experience of this ? Can we be forced to accept a place that we deem too far away?

On another matter, DWP are now treating me as a single person. This feels so wrong as we are still a married couple. It just feels like they don't recognise that hubby is still here, albeit not living at home.

Much appreciate any experiences you feel able to share.

x x

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
My understanding is that they are only required to offer one place that meets his needs, and it seems as if there are two within the borough.

Regarding your point about dwp: I thought it was up to you if you wished to be regarded as single or married, although it might be to your financial benefit to be regarded as single.

I would suggest calling the as helpline.

National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
My wife spent 2 years in an EMI home with an over 65s only policy on paper, it never mattered she was under 65 at the time so I don't know it's carved in stone.
The limits may be where will take someone who's been sectioned, not all will. Where has a place available or how long the waiting list is and where will take the LA funding rate or a top up you can afford.
As Jen says they only have to find one place that can meet his needs to have done their job. While location should be considered it rarely seems to be, cost is the driver.
K

mad_geordie

Nov 5, 2008
Newcastle
Thanks everyone for your input.

There is to be a MDT meeting this Friday, wherein it will be discussed what our future options are.
Will keep you posted.

x x

mad_geordie

Nov 5, 2008
Newcastle
My wife spent 2 years in an EMI home with an over 65s only policy on paper, it never mattered she was under 65 at the time so I don't know it's carved in stone.
The limits may be where will take someone who's been sectioned, not all will. Where has a place available or how long the waiting list is and where will take the LA funding rate or a top up you can afford.
As Jen says they only have to find one place that can meet his needs to have done their job. While location should be considered it rarely seems to be, cost is the driver.
K

I agree with your statement. Hubbys needs of one to one staff throughout the day means it literally doubles the cost of any care home. This will play be a major factor when we attend the meeting on Friday. His needs have been fully identified though so safety will be paramount too.
It just feels like one thing after another right now.

x

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I can't see the LA funding one to one care in a home, I hope they do but in my experience you'll be very lucky.
Recently one of the men in the home had (another) fall, he was a high fall risk but a constant walker, he ended up in hospital with a broken hip. The home went out to reassess him before discharge from hospital and said they'd only have him back if the LA funded one to one care for the first few weeks as in hospital he was trying to get out of bed all the time.
The LA refused to fund the care and placed him in another home that would take him without the one to one, the family were livid firstly as it put him at risk and also because they liked the home he was in, they were in tears when they can to clear his room.
I see you're in Newcastle, someone I know who lives there and her step dad (lived near Gosforth) but has ended up in an EMI nursing home near Durham as that was the only place they could find that would take his extremely challenging behaviour. He's LA funded and it was pretty much take it or leave it attitude from the Newcastle LA she said and that as he had been sectioned a lot of places didn't want to know and that was the only offer the LA made.
K

allchange

Nov 29, 2015
Anything up to 24 hour one to one is possible, especially under section 3/section 117 where the cost is split between health and the local authority, especially if there is challenging behaviour and homes refuse to take the resident without substantial one to one. Be prepared to fight your corner though.