Grumpy OH

MarHef48

Jun 30, 2017
County Cork
Oh dear

You really do have my sympathy, it does seem like many of us have these problems.

From my own experience I have honestly found that walking away is a life saver. Quite often what I say under my breath is unrepeatable - but it is my release - my way of getting it off my chest without inflaming the situation further.

My OH just does not listen. There are only two words he ever wants to hear and those are 'Yes Tom' - there are no other legitimate answers to any of his questions. I think this condition is very 'self centered' - they are the only people in their universe but I suppose that given the way in which the disease affects the brain then we should not be surprised...hurt yes, but not surprised.

The obsessions are what get me down.....for the last two years he has been totally obsessed about the dish cloth...yep you read it right. The dish cloth! Not sure if I am unique but when I bake, cook etc I use a damp cloth to wipe down the surfaces, however if in the middle of this activity he approaches the sink and the dish cloth has not been rung out to within an inch of it's life - folded up and placed carefully to the left side (I am serious here - stop laughing) - then I get lectured & I mean, lectured. I have now got to the stage where I leave the dishcloth perfectly dry and folded on the left side of the sink and use a wet paper towel - which I dispose of in the fire......things we do to 'keep the peace'.

I suppose the only thing I don't get is bad language, yes I am made to feel like the village idiot, yes everything I do is wrong, yes I am apparently fat and ugly (nice) but I don't have the added insult of foul language. However, my father who up to 3 years ago never said Boo to a Goose, swore, never argued, never hit anyone, never even got a parking ticket became a violent aggressive who, every time I entered his room told me in no uncertain terms to "F" off!

My father has Alzheimer's and after 74 years of marriage to my mother (not counting the 4 years they went out before getting married) he no longer knows who she is - the last time she visited he introduced her "to his wife" - another resident of the Nursing Home! I am 70 and my father does not know me...all very sad.

I sometimes feel that I could now write a dissertation on what it is like to be 'between a rock and a hard place'. I have returned to my hobbies over the last number of years so that I can, even for a few moments each day, lose myself in something other than 'his dementia' and that is great.

I am sorry for the OH that we can't spend more time together enjoying each other's company, but that is not going to happen any more.....so as wives, partners, carer's we just have to get on with our own lives as much as we can....self preservation and good sense because if the carer is ill, out of sorts, tired...then the job we didn't ask for, didn't expect but got landed with...just because....becomes all the more difficult.

Enjoy your daughter's company, enjoy the grandchildren, go out for a coffee with a friend....in the house, plug in your ear phones even just for a few minutes, listening to a relaxing /uplifting tune can help.

Finally, how did you feel when you wrote down how you felt....I started a 'diary' a good few years ago. It is on the computer, and when I am low, fed up, annoyed or whatever, I bash the keyboard and 'get it off my chest' that way.

Love and support
Mx

MarHef48

Jun 30, 2017
County Cork
Sure we are not married to the same man?
No, we aren't. Their names are different.
Their names only

Well we could always swap................nah only kidding that wouldn't work either.
As we are all finding out, although much of the attitude and behaviour of the dementia sufferers is individual, there are also so many similarities.

I think that the oddest thing I have noticed that irrespective of their memory they seem to be able to manipulate people and situations to their own advantage...strange how the mind works.

Take care.
Mx

Sammie234

Oct 7, 2016
Shropshire
My OH isn’t a natural Mr Grumpy but all the other things you say are definitely him, I’ve started removing his clothes in the mornings before he gets up, showers what are they? 3weeks now since the last one. Memory hasn’t got one left or rather no short term one, so repeat, answer, repeat again. If I go out it’s all “oh you don’t want me to come do you”in a snidey voice, he never used to be like that! I don’t need you to I’m just going for an injection or pick up meds whatever.

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
“oh you don’t want me to come do you”
My husband always wants to go out with me. I can't even go to the supermarket on my own, which drives me mad.
I look forward to bed time all day, when at last I can go to my room downstairs .
People usually welcome spring and longer days. I dread them, because they mean more time to spend with my OH.

longlostfan

Aug 14, 2016
Hi there everybody. All of us on this thread.....it strikes me that we feel so trapped not just by the dreaded AD but everything prior which makes question why we are putting up with it all, without any redeeming circumstances. That sounds a bit dark I know, but because our partners were previously manipulative (or at least mine was) and wanted much of his own way most of the time, I now feel much more annoyed at his behaviour when presumably he can’t help it, than I would have done if he’d always been more understanding even if he didn’t always agree with me, or my children. Life could have been so much easier and somehow I’m realising this now even more than then! and wishing I’d been a bit more forceful. I do tend to like keeping things pleasant and so I feel annoyed with myself, because like you all I see my life disappearing and being caught up in this caring lark which is what it is, and can’t be changed, but also he stills causes disruption, not just because of his physical and mental condition but because somehow underneath it all there seems to be desire to control what can no longer be controlled.....but he’s gonna have a try......
Last night I was watching a film on my iPad with headphones on, lights off, just to escape into a bit of sex and violence and he kept getting up (he used to sleep like a log but no longer) , coming in the room and going on about finances, saying he’d lost all his money etc , the usual agitation of this disease, I kept reassuring him that first of all we’d never had money to lose, and secondly that I pay the bills and do the finances now and all was ok. Two minutes later, same again. I am absolutely sure it was because I was trying to do something for me in the dead of night in absolute silence but somehow he twigged that and didn’t like it. So he managed to disturb me and my not so long suffering son once again. We can’t have a private conversation at night ever. Anyway after the upteenth time he came in I lost it and added to the disruption. And that isn’t me. Or wasn’t until the last few months.
But I can see from all your posts that you all have these issues, alongside all the other family stuff and worries, and it’s so much for us all to cope with. Do you all feel that you can’t be yourself anymore even for a few hours?

Anyway bless all of you for posting, and I so wish we all weren’t in this together, but since we are, my love and hugs to you all. Keep safe, and, if possible, sane. Peace and light xxxxxx

Beads

Jul 19, 2017
Hi all, not been on for a few days but still been reading the posts. OH is actually up & reading the papers in kitchen. Yesterday as usual had family after work he was up & knew they were coming as I was preparing a meal & the table was all set. Of course he just takes off upstairs & stays there until they have all left . He makes it so obvious as he comes down once the house has gone quiet & he can’t hear any talking or noise. I should be used to it by now but it still annoys me. It’s just when he feels like been sociable & everyone has to fall in line. I don’t make allowances because of the AD as he was always like this. This morning I was out early food shopping I heard him in bathroom when I was leaving on return he was sat in the kitchen with the papers. Not a word was spoken from him. I told him where I had been even though he could see by the shopping. He just grunts then I ask him if he wanted a cuppa & something to eat . Even though I can see he has already eaten. Managed to get a yes out of him no please or Thankyou ever leaves his lips. He is so bliddy ignorant oooh I could scream . Just another jolly weekend to look forward too. His disease atm seems to be on a plateau the only thing that is getting worse is his short term memory & repetitiveness. OMG how long do I have to endure this I’m not sure if I have the strength or even want too. The rest is as he was before he was diagnosed grumpy ignorant unreasonable mobility issues suspicious selfish. Oh I better stop could go on forever . Talking about his mobility or lack of. The wheelchair has gone back as he refused point blank to use it . Was in the kitchen waiting to be picked up he never said a word. I just give up .
Hi @ margherita hope you well & having a quiet weekend as for me I’m just fed up & sick of this whole carers role. The one that has been thrust on us. (((Hugs)))))) xx
Hi @longlostfan you too I hope you are having a good day at work & an escape from the drudgery of your role as carer.I know you too feel the same as myself margherita & many more on here. (((Hugs))) xx
I think that is my rant over but you never know I could be on again shortly with more. Take good care of yourselves all on here. Speak soon.....

Beads

Jul 19, 2017
Oh dear

You really do have my sympathy, it does seem like many of us have these problems.

From my own experience I have honestly found that walking away is a life saver. Quite often what I say under my breath is unrepeatable - but it is my release - my way of getting it off my chest without inflaming the situation further.

My OH just does not listen. There are only two words he ever wants to hear and those are 'Yes Tom' - there are no other legitimate answers to any of his questions. I think this condition is very 'self centered' - they are the only people in their universe but I suppose that given the way in which the disease affects the brain then we should not be surprised...hurt yes, but not surprised.

The obsessions are what get me down.....for the last two years he has been totally obsessed about the dish cloth...yep you read it right. The dish cloth! Not sure if I am unique but when I bake, cook etc I use a damp cloth to wipe down the surfaces, however if in the middle of this activity he approaches the sink and the dish cloth has not been rung out to within an inch of it's life - folded up and placed carefully to the left side (I am serious here - stop laughing) - then I get lectured & I mean, lectured. I have now got to the stage where I leave the dishcloth perfectly dry and folded on the left side of the sink and use a wet paper towel - which I dispose of in the fire......things we do to 'keep the peace'.

I suppose the only thing I don't get is bad language, yes I am made to feel like the village idiot, yes everything I do is wrong, yes I am apparently fat and ugly (nice) but I don't have the added insult of foul language. However, my father who up to 3 years ago never said Boo to a Goose, swore, never argued, never hit anyone, never even got a parking ticket became a violent aggressive who, every time I entered his room told me in no uncertain terms to "F" off!

My father has Alzheimer's and after 74 years of marriage to my mother (not counting the 4 years they went out before getting married) he no longer knows who she is - the last time she visited he introduced her "to his wife" - another resident of the Nursing Home! I am 70 and my father does not know me...all very sad.

I sometimes feel that I could now write a dissertation on what it is like to be 'between a rock and a hard place'. I have returned to my hobbies over the last number of years so that I can, even for a few moments each day, lose myself in something other than 'his dementia' and that is great.

I am sorry for the OH that we can't spend more time together enjoying each other's company, but that is not going to happen any more.....so as wives, partners, carer's we just have to get on with our own lives as much as we can....self preservation and good sense because if the carer is ill, out of sorts, tired...then the job we didn't ask for, didn't expect but got landed with...just because....becomes all the more difficult.

Enjoy your daughter's company, enjoy the grandchildren, go out for a coffee with a friend....in the house, plug in your ear phones even just for a few minutes, listening to a relaxing /uplifting tune can help.

Finally, how did you feel when you wrote down how you felt....I started a 'diary' a good few years ago. It is on the computer, and when I am low, fed up, annoyed or whatever, I bash the keyboard and 'get it off my chest' that way.

Love and support
Mx
Hi MarHef48

margherita

May 30, 2017
OMG how long do I have to endure this I’m not sure if I have the strength or even want too.
Same question I ask myself, without getting an answer. At the moment I can't make decisions. Maybe I could, but I don't want . I do not know what I am waiting for..
This morning I went to the dentist's and when I was back it was lunch time. He sat at table waiting for me to serve him..
In the afternoon I went to bed because I had a toothache and he went for a nap. Now he is up and about, pestering me with questions. It hurts when I speak, maybe it's the stitches..and every time I tell him "Don't make me speak.." he answers "oh ,sorry".... And after few minutes he starts again.
The good news is stepson won't visit on Easter. He said he will later. I hope never again.
Dear @Beads , you have a nice family. Enjoy their visits, the meals together, don't let your OH spoil those nice moments. The less he participates, the better. I suppose nobody misses him.
Take care of yourself

margherita

May 30, 2017
but because our partners were previously manipulative (or at least mine was) and wanted much of his own way most of the time, I now feel much more annoyed at his behaviour when presumably he can’t help it, than I would have done if he’d always been more understanding
In this respect, Alzheimer's has not changed OH's character. Things are more evident since he has fewer filters.
I don't often know if some behaviours of his should be put down to dementia. That's why being patient and compassionate is so hard

Last edited:

margherita

May 30, 2017
Hi @MIA56 ,
I am so pleased you had some time to post.
Hope the furniture you ordered will arrive soon, so you can enjoy your new home.
You write you are starting to accept the situation we are forced to live in.
It is wise to acknowledge when it is better to surrender than go on fighting.
Let's try to make the best of a bad situation.
Take care of yourself, X

Beads

Jul 19, 2017
Same question I ask myself, without getting an answer. At the moment I can't make decisions. Maybe I could, but I don't want . I do not know what I am waiting for..
This morning I went to the dentist's and when I was back it was lunch time. He sat at table waiting for me to serve him..
In the afternoon I went to bed because I had a toothache and he went for a nap. Now he is up and about, pestering me with questions. It hurts when I speak, maybe it's the stitches..and every time I tell him "Don't make me speak.." he answers "oh ,sorry".... And after few minutes he starts again.
The good news is stepson won't visit on Easter. He said he will later. I hope never again.
Dear @Beads , you have a nice family. Enjoy their visits, the meals together, don't let your OH spoil those nice moments. The less he participates, the better. I suppose nobody misses him.
Take care of yourself
Oh @margherita they are so inconsiderate our OH’s &I don’t think it is all to do with dementia. I am really pleased your stepson is not gonna be there at Easter. You can now really look forward to having a lovely time with your guests, & not putting on a brave face because the stepson was coming. Ye hopefully you won’t see him for a long while or never. You should be so lucky. Enjoy your Easter . Take care speak soon. X

Beads

Jul 19, 2017
Hi MIA56 glad all is coming together on the house front nice to see you back on here. There is such a lot going on with your family no the wonder you feel sad & frustrated . Then J now sleeping loads , Ye you want to see about a blood test. Omg where’s them 9 weeks gone. The wedding plans are going well thanks. The next thing is the hen do quite a few of the girlies are off to Ibiza. Makes me laugh because they don’t just have one hen do a month later she is having another one for the rest of her friends that cudnt make the first one. Oh to be young again. You will have seen from my posts I’m really fed up at the moment. I get like this every now & then. As I’ve said before we’ve got no choice just gotta get on with it. Take good care of yourself speak soon. Have a great Easter. Xx

Last edited by a moderator:

margherita

May 30, 2017
Hi Mia, the guests enjoyed the food and the wine. I had cooked dishes from traditional Sicilian kitchen.
On the whole it was a good day. My in-laws are lovely and thank goodness my husband's son did not visit.
It was a sunny spring day, not a cloud in the sky and the trees are blossoming.
OH was in host mode, but I noticed he doesn't often understand conversations, even though he can somehow hide it.

margherita

May 30, 2017
My problem is loneliness in bad company.
If I could be really alone, I could manage and even like it.
My son doesn't know much about my situation, because, as you say, I too don't want to make him carry a burden that is mine.
I have some good friends I have long chats with on the phone and TP that is a great support.
Take care of yourself, Mia

Harlech

May 15, 2017
Poor you - I hope the ambulance comes soon.X

@MIA56 - I thought I was reading my post! The very same thing happened to my OH on Mother’s Day, except he had fallen down outside steps in the morning while having a cigarette. I had to get son to come down as I couldn’t get him back in his feet and into the house. All plans for mother’s day out of the window , we were quiet all day, but late in the evening he slept a while downstairs as couldn’t get upstairs. I brought down pillows and duvet and settled to a night on settee. He woke and was delirious and couldn’t stand at all or even shuffle along the settee. Called out of hours, they sent paramedic and he diagnosed high temperature and extremely low blood pressure, but we decided to wait for doctors the next morning (it is 3 a.m.by now). After blood tests, it shows massive infection in OH’s. body (doctors words). More blood tests and then on Friday find out it is pneumonia. Luckily started anti biotics just in case, which seemed to have halted the infection. Coped well at the time, but feeling really down this week, I think it is a reaction of the extra worry of the pneumonia. My thoughts are with you and hope your OH is back on his feet quickly.

margherita

May 30, 2017
Hope the ambulance has arrived eventually.
I also hope he is safe in hospital and you can have some rest at home.
To be sincere, I am more worried about you .
Take care of yourself

Beads

Jul 19, 2017
Oh MIA56 sorry to hear J not well. I hope as I am posting this you are at hospital & J is more comfortable. I know it’s dreadful , Easter or not you can’t pick when you gonna be ill. You said on your other post how you could do with a G&T but wouldn’t in case you needed the Dr. You were right . Bless you you are certainly having your fair share of troubles. So sorry to read also of your niece passing . If you get the chance later just to update on how J is doing do so. Most of all take good care of yourself ((((hugs))). J is in right place to be looked after. Thinking of you xxx

Beads

Jul 19, 2017
Hi Mia, the guests enjoyed the food and the wine. I had cooked dishes from traditional Sicilian kitchen.
On the whole it was a good day. My in-laws are lovely and thank goodness my husband's son did not visit.
It was a sunny spring day, not a cloud in the sky and the trees are blossoming.
OH was in host mode, but I noticed he doesn't often understand conversations, even though he can somehow hide it.
Hi margherita hope you well sounds like you had a lovely meal & time with your guests. What a difference it makes doesn’t it to have company even if just for a few hours. It perks you up. I know what you saying about the conversations my OH is the same , because we can sit & listen when people are talking & I have noticed OH sort of gets lost off when talking .He can only talk for so long then after awhile gets mixed up or starts repeating.However as you say your OH hides it well mine can to a point . Sometimes I can’t get to grips with what he is saying. Then if I say what do you mean he raises his voice & shakes his head as if it were me that’s talking rubbish. They are very good at the host mode around other people. That’s what makes it so baffling to outsiders or family that don’t see him often because I have told them the way he is & then he puts on this show. It’s like I am fibbing. Then when they have gone he’s back to his grumpy self. His son from his first marriage thinks his dad is doing great because he only sees him now & again & OH sort of bluffs his way through . Little do they know . I also think that he thinks I exaggerate about his fathers condition, but I don’t really care as he isn’t living with him 24/7. Also it’s easy to think this way when they put on this farce in front of them . What weird lives we live . Or should that be existences. The weather here is horrible I have not left the house since Saturday. I’m beginning to feel like you margherita under house arrest. Well I have my granddaughter through the day for the next 2 weeks as the schools are closed . She will keep me sane , then on the afternoons we pick up her baby sister from the childminder so busy busy. Just the way I like it. Speak soon margherita take care my friend xx