Care Home search begins....

Helly11

Apr 24, 2017
Derby
Hi Kikki 21 and Helly11 I agree with what Canary and Amy have said. I would add, I think this is the most important decision you have to make for the welfare and wellbeing of your loved one. So please don't be rushed into it. Most care homes in the UK are inadequate, however good they appear to be, if they don't have really good staff training and support systems that enable staff to implement best practice in dementia care, including understanding dementia (it takes a while for all of us to really understand the cognitive impairment faced by different people with different dementias) best communication skills (so as to support and not undermine the person with dementia) and great engagement abilities / skills (to meaningfully engage person with dementia in activities that feel purposeful and fun, in ways that don't undermine confidence). It's complicated.... My mum's home is amazing, staff are caring, good view out of window (which does matter to my mum) and open attitude of management to working with families. But staff don't have adequate training to support my mum's wellbeing. It's not their fault - they are exceptional people who are committed to looking after my mum the best way they can. It makes them distressed, when my mum is distressed.
Thanks, Julia.

Helly11

Apr 24, 2017
Derby
Thank you @Juliasdementiablog & I can tell you if they try to rush the process they will get short thrift!
We are having to fit a lot in at the moment so we may not get to see as many care homes as we would like over the next few days plus working as well which staff in these places seem to fail to realise that most people can’t just drop everything!
Amen to that, Kikki21! The discharge co-ordinator emailed the care home search organisation for us on Friday afternoon, with a view to them starting research today. At that point, I told her that the only time we could view anywhere on a weekday this week would be Tuesday morning and that my sister and I would then be unable to do anything after that until the weekend, given our respective working patterns. We could, of course, view homes separately, but that would slow things down and the mutual support of visiting together, and opportunity that provides to discuss each one there and then, is important.

Yet this morning she rang to ask if we had looked at any homes over the weekend and didn't sound impressed when I said we hadn't. What would be the point of her initiating contact with this organisation, with them only starting work on this today, and then our going off and doing our own thing over the weekend and duplicating their efforts? She is obviously under pressure from on high, but still... My next line of argument will be that while they might be under-resourced and unable to cope with Dad in their hospital, my sister and I are under-resourced in terms of finding him a care home! I wonder how many of these staff would be happy to make a hasty, ill-advised decision about their loved one?

We do have one viewing lined up for 9.30am tomorrow and will try to squeeze in a second, but that will depend how long we spend at the first one, as my sister has to leave for her job by 11.30am-12pm. And I'm off to my parents to take Mum to a medical appointment in the afternoon - which I also pointed out to them was a commitment I couldn't get out of.

I am reassured by others' comments that it is OK to push back in this way - thanks, all.

Helly11

Apr 24, 2017
Derby
Oh, and while the care home search contact was lovely and very supportive, I did find out from her that she has to report back to the hospital on our attitude/approach/efforts! Apparently so long as we show willing and are viewing places, we will be OK. And if we don't, what happens, I wonder?!?! If you don't hear from me again, you'll know I've been hauled off by The Hospital Police for non-compliance/misbehaviour! I do understand that the system is under pressure, but it is not as under pressure as we are right now...

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Oh, and while the care home search contact was lovely and very supportive, I did find out from her that she has to report back to the hospital on our attitude/approach/efforts! Apparently so long as we show willing and are viewing places, we will be OK. And if we don't, what happens, I wonder?!?! If you don't hear from me again, you'll know I've been hauled off by The Hospital Police for non-compliance/misbehaviour! I do understand that the system is under pressure, but it is not as under pressure as we are right now...

What happens if you don't choose somewhere within a reasonable timeframe? PWD will be shipped out to a placement hospital SW deems appropriate, and you will be left to sort it from there.

It is hard to find a placement, but equally difficult to have to accommodate folks in hospitals, while families look for suitable homes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
What happens if you don't choose somewhere within a reasonable timeframe? PWD will be shipped out to a placement hospital SW deems appropriate, and you will be left to sort it from there.

It is hard to find a placement, but equally difficult to have to accommodate folks in hospitals, while families look for suitable homes.

Excuse me? I happen to be self employed which means I can’t just drop everything. Being self employed means that i’m responsible for my own income. If I don’t earn money then I don’t have it. Same for my fiancé. Also my mum went through the CHC checklist & then the DST so I thought it pertinent to wait till we knew what was happening funding wise. I have no siblings to help in this matter at all. So we have to fit everything in as best we can.

Last edited by a moderator:

SKD

I spent yesterday visiting 3 care homes for my Mum - was surprised to discover that even in the two homes I thought better (well kept, staff engaging with residents, very happy for me to simply rock up) few of the rooms had en suite toilets. Mum is currently continent but I find the thought of her wandering to find a toilet a bit worrying. Is this usual and is there a reason apart from space ?- is there something else I should ask? Both the homes did have a lot of toilets on each of the floors so perhaps it isn't a problem.

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
The lack of ensuite limited my search, my mum would never have agreed to crossing a corridor at night, there are a list of standards for care, google residential care homes standards. I think it depends on the age of the home, and also the level of care the residents need. Also ensuite rooms more cost per week.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
I spent yesterday visiting 3 care homes for my Mum - was surprised to discover that even in the two homes I thought better (well kept, staff engaging with residents, very happy for me to simply rock up) few of the rooms had en suite toilets. Mum is currently continent but I find the thought of her wandering to find a toilet a bit worrying. Is this usual and is there a reason apart from space ?- is there something else I should ask? Both the homes did have a lot of toilets on each of the floors so perhaps it isn't a problem.

I am visiting 2 care homes later today & have ensured that they do have en suite rooms. I know I will pay extra for them but my mum’s toileting is extreme. I know she has to go to the toilet a lot where she is now so the amount of toilets is important as well!

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
The lack of ensuite limited my search, my mum would never have agreed to crossing a corridor at night, there are a list of standards for care, google residential care homes standards. I think it depends on the age of the home, and also the level of care the residents need. Also ensuite rooms more cost per week.

I think the newer care homes tend to be ensuite but not so the older ones that have been adapted!

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Dad's NH was fairly new and all had en suite but I discounted some homes where he would have to search for the toilet as orientating skills were disappearing as well as dad's immediency need for a toilet during the night particularly

Helly11

Apr 24, 2017
Derby

They do need to be sensible and constructive, though. By mid yesterday morning, we had chosen somewhere, but when the care home manager visited this afternoon, for a planned/booked appointment to carry out her assessment of Dad, she was told she couldn't view any paperwork and had to talk to somebody about Dad's needs...but everybody was in a meeting!!! And this was a planned visit by her. The hospital push you with one hand, while pulling you back with the other! If they want him out, they need to help facilitate that move.

Helly11

Apr 24, 2017
Derby
I hope you find the right place very soon @Kikki21 , it's so very stressful. Thoughts go out to you all on this thread that you find somewhere soon and that the timings for admittance etc. all marry up.
Thanks, Carmar - I have just spent a jolly hour reading the care home contract! Slowly getting there...

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
I hope you find the right place very soon @Kikki21 , it's so very stressful. Thoughts go out to you all on this thread that you find somewhere soon and that the timings for admittance etc. all marry up.

Thank you @Carmar - i’m pleased to say that we think we have found a care home for my mum & there is a room available with an ensuite now for the next bit!

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
They do need to be sensible and constructive, though. By mid yesterday morning, we had chosen somewhere, but when the care home manager visited this afternoon, for a planned/booked appointment to carry out her assessment of Dad, she was told she couldn't view any paperwork and had to talk to somebody about Dad's needs...but everybody was in a meeting!!! And this was a planned visit by her. The hospital push you with one hand, while pulling you back with the other! If they want him out, they need to help facilitate that move.

@Helly11 this is what we have found along the way & it seems par for the course. I’ve done my bit now - so the rest of them have to pull their finger out!

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Thank you @Carmar - i’m pleased to say that we think we have found a care home for my mum & there is a room available with an ensuite now for the next bit!

That’s very good news. Fingers crossed it goes smoothly for the next step. Would be interested to know where you chose as I have another friend who is just starting her search.

gene genie

Apr 26, 2017
@Kikki21 ,firstly thanks for responding to my post regarding descion to place mum in care home.
I too have been care home shopping gosh it's so hard!!! What do I ask,does mum need a nursing home or a care home, I've no idea how it all works.
I'm glad you seem to have sorted things out for you mum,hope it all goes well.