Tax refund for husband who dies

AmandaOxfordshire

Mar 15, 2018
Hi everyone, my husband passed away last October, he suffered fro AH for a while now, but he still kept on working until September last year. He also paid tax and NI on his earnings, but I'm not sure if he should have paid them at all, as he didn't work for the full financial year (according to this tax calculator he won't pay tax if he earns under £11,500). My question is, can I claim back the income tax and National Insurance on his behalf, even though he's passed away?

Many thanks for your help,
Amanda

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Phone them up and ask. They might need a copy of the death certificate and then they might pay out to the beneficiary.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You can't claim back NI.

For tax you can use an R40, this will check total tax deducted on earnings and investments is correct.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...tax-deducted-from-savings-and-investments-r40

Note in your case you will have to print off a hard copy and send it to HMRC
To claim a repayment on behalf of someone else (who has died or is a minor), print the postal form, fill it in by hand and post to HMRC. You must include the residential address of the minor on the form.

Use the R40 notes to help you fill in the form.

If you used the 'tell us once' facility when recording the death HMRC should not need any further proof of death.

Last edited:

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
As Nitram says you can use the R40 to claim back the tax, as this is based on the income for the tax year, so your husbands full annual allowance will be set against his earnings, and any other income of course.

The national insurance rules calculate what is due on weekly or monthly basis depending on the payment frequency, and not an annual basis, unless you are a director, and this is the reason no reclaim is available.

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
My husband with letters of administration (basically executor for someone who doesn't leave a will) successfully claimed 6 years of overpaid tax back from HMRC just by producing bank statements, going back and going back and checking benefits rates for someone who had overpaid tax all their life. No problems just submitted the figures and a cheque arrived for about 2,000. The lawyer that had previously handled the estate didn't even think about it.