An interesting idea for a dementia village in Kent

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
It does as you say pose quite a few questions ....on cost and in early stages pwd may be able to independently access everything it has to offer but have concerns from moderate onwards

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Sounds great but the thought of mum making toast or alternatively having a bag full of mouldy bread! The fire brigade would be permanently there.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
It does sound great.... but expensive... and then there is the reality of the variety of different dementia stages, etc., and the increasing amount of care required. It does pose many questions. Answers are a different matter..... not easy.

Loo x

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Just read the article and there are some very interesting comments from a Dutch person whose father lives in a similar scheme in the Netherlands. According to him, the cost quoted (£5k+) is not what residents actually pay. They pay a proportion of their income up to about €850 per month. This is because (drum roll) they actually have a social/nursing care insurance scheme which everybody pays into to cover their costs during their working lives.

Of course, apparently this is an impossible/impractical idea which will never see the light of day in this country. ☹️

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Just read the article and there are some very interesting comments from a Dutch person whose father lives in a similar scheme in the Netherlands. According to him, the cost quoted (£5k+) is not what residents actually pay. They pay a proportion of their income up to about €850 per month. This is because (drum roll) they actually have a social/nursing care insurance scheme which everybody pays into to cover their costs during their working lives.

Of course, apparently this is an impossible/impractical idea which will never see the light of day in this country. ☹️
Netherlands and Scandinavian countries all have high levels of taxation which results in very good social services.

I know that here in Australia we are all very reluctant to pay any more in taxes than we absolutely have to.

On the other hand many governments are short-sighted and fail to see that good care sooner rather than later is an economically sound idea.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Netherlands and Scandinavian countries all have high levels of taxation which results in very good social services.

I know that here in Australia we are all very reluctant to pay any more in taxes than we absolutely have to.

On the other hand many governments are short-sighted and fail to see that good care sooner rather than later is an economically sound idea.

I so agree with your last sentence. I also wish for a bit more honesty from our governments (both sides!) who will not face the facts(or make us face them) that you can’t have both excellent services and minimal taxation levels. I wish people here could see the connection. I’d vote for sharing the cost of social care between all of us rather than only those who need it having to pay. That’s what we do with every other health condition after all.

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Unfortunately we (us over60) have voted in governments that have neglected the older population. Now we are older we may regret it.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Unfortunately we (us over60) have voted in governments that have neglected the older population. Now we are older we may regret it.
And our governments - of different colors, and over several terms of office are too scared to discuss overall taxation systems that could possibly solve some of the problems in case they lose their jobs.

Pretty depressing.

Recent Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan