What dictates carehome fees?

Amber_31

Jun 29, 2016
I’m not near putting my mum in a carehome, but who knows what the future holds. I’d like to know how much it will all cost. Does residential care become more expensive the more advanced dementia becomes? Although that seems likely, isn’t it more resource heavy to look after someone pacing around all night than someone bed bound? Are all care homes private companies and are there any not for profit ones? How far in advance should you be putting a name on a waiting list?
If you are already living with a pwd, and your house is big enough and you already do a lot of the caring, is a live in carer a good alternative and/or cheaper to a care home? Many thanks

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
The very basic answer is: what the market will bear.

Generally yes, the more labour involved in caring for someone, the more expensive a home will be. Which is why nursing homes tend to more expensive than care homes. Location obviously matters: if you are in greater london, you'll be paying much more than you would in the north, because care home prices reflect cost of property.

You might find homes run by charities. There aren't so many local authority homes left now, but there are some. Most are now run by private companies (which is not to say they are necessarily more expensive than other types. You're back to point one: what will people pay?

If you need a carer in your home and you are available to provide back-up/time off, that option could be cheaper, although bear in mind you will then be employing someone with all the costs that involves. And 40 hours a week doesn't go very far in providing coverage.

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
Just on a note about homes run by charities, they are not necessarily a cheaper option. My mother is in such a home and unfortunately it is the most expensive nursing home in the area. The reason is that their charitable work is outreach work which isn't a benefit to the actual residents, so in a way the resident's fees help subsidise the charitable work the organisation does.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Just on a note about homes run by charities, they are not necessarily a cheaper option. My mother is in such a home and unfortunately it is the most expensive nursing home in the area.QUOTE]
Too true, two of the care homes near where my wife is are charities, one for ex-service people one for a faith home and inspite of their VAT and tax status which comes from being a charity cost more than a the local homes (group owned and private).
K