Id bracelets

Wburns

Apr 22, 2016
Not sure if this how you do this. My first post. My mum and dad both have dementia, dad more memory loss than mum. He goes out walking most days and seems to know where he is going. He goes down town. Visit macdonalds and comes home. I am worried that one day he will not be able to get home on his own. Any suggestions re bracelets with ID. I got the cards but he doesnt carry a wallet any advice please.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I've been through the lot. Laminated cards in wallet, name tags on everything, mobile phone in pouch round his neck, GPS tracker. All were useful at various stages but you have to keep adjusting as the circumstances change. Presently I do not let my husband out of my sight apart from when he goes to day centre three days a week. We do go out a lot as I know how much he needs to be on the move.

What comes next? Who knows.

By the way, welcome and good wishes.

sweep

Apr 21, 2016
Hi I had the same problem with my mum. in the end I bought a cycling Id band which has an engraved metal plate attached for name ,house no & postcode, emergency numbers and I had memory impaired added to hers. I told her it was important that she never removed it , fortunately she never did. The police found her wandering at 4am and were able to take her home.
I cannot post a link but its iceid.co.uk

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Not sure if this how you do this. My first post. My mum and dad both have dementia, dad more memory loss than mum. He goes out walking most days and seems to know where he is going. He goes down town. Visit macdonalds and comes home. I am worried that one day he will not be able to get home on his own. Any suggestions re bracelets with ID. I got the cards but he doesnt carry a wallet any advice please.

Just some ideas. If you live in an area where your Mum and Dad are well known, I would tell people about condition and they don't have to share this knowledge with your parents. I found it helpful to tell the local Gardai/ police. Perhaps you could get your Dad an identity bracelet if he would like to wear one. If latter, it could be a special present from you. Name on coat/ jacket with phone number. Make this obvious but not too obvious.... OH always had a favourite chain but he can't wear it now. ( safety issues.. Got stuck in his coat and agitated him)

It is a learning curve and every day brings different challenges. Never easy.

Loads of support,

Aisling

Country lady

Dec 5, 2017
Hi I had the same problem with my mum. in the end I bought a cycling Id band which has an engraved metal plate attached for name ,house no & postcode, emergency numbers and I had memory impaired added to hers. I told her it was important that she never removed it , fortunately she never did. The police found her wandering at 4am and were able to take her home.
I cannot post a link but its iceid.co.uk

Country lady

Dec 5, 2017
I have just ordered from iceid. Thank you for the info. We were recently travelling, and the airports were a nightmare in case I lost him. He lost his phone during the Security Check.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Do you know about the Guardian Angel Dementia Buddy?

It's a distinctive badge, wrist band, bag-tag, or keyring.

When an NFC enabled phone (most smart phones) is held near it the person's first name and a contact phone number is displayed on the phone.
https://www.lancashire.police.uk/campaigns/dementia-buddy-tags/
http://dementiabuddy.co.uk/posters/Guardian-Angel-New-GM-Generic-2017-Poster-ENGLISH.pdf

It is free in some areas the cost being born by the LA or a charity, in other areas the cost is subsidised, in Wigan, where it was pioneered, two devices are free You have to check.

EDIT
Just realised this thread is nearly 2 years old.

Last edited: