Constant sleeping

Rosegarden2

Feb 27, 2015
My husband seems to be entering the final stages of Alzheimer's and sleeps incessantly, often almost all day and also all night. He can even nod off while in the middle of trying to eat a meal. And he seems so very weak and frail, can hardly lift a spoon sometimes. it's been going on for about a year now. He is like a shadow of himself. Is this normal? Rosegarden2

Baby Bunty

Jan 24, 2018
Hi .i am same with mum; mum as vascular dementia endstage....had a meeting today with doctor and doctor suggested about wihdrawning abx. As mum is same but she been now on 4th course off abx for chest. Sleeping all the time eating very little if nothing..doctor suggested thst abx was futile..hearting breaking!!!is a bit off an understatement..then doctor explained this could go on and on!..i feel totally overwhelmed with sadness..i hope you and your loved peace.xxxx

Bnicholls

Jan 3, 2016
I can certainly relate to this as my dad is the same. He sleeps all the time, day and night sometimes he might only be awake for ten minutes or so across a whole day but even then he is very unresponsive. He can be like this for days and then sudenlu have a day where he might be more awake for a few hours but the goes back to sleeping all the time. I would say he has got significantly worst since Xmas but before then was more sleepy in any event. From other threads I have read I think this is fairly common as things progress. It is so very hard and I can really sympathise with what you are going through.

LostOne

Mar 9, 2018
I understand how hard this must be for you, my dad is 61 and has Alzheimer’s. My sister and I live almost 3 hours away and often found it a struggle to get to him often (I have my own son and also lost my job due to my own medical condition so cannot make the drive alone+costs) he has now been given days, week(s) at best to live. I feel numb like it’s not really happening and then it comes in waves and I get punched in the stomach with so many emotions it’s hard to breathe.
We are currently staying in a family room of the hospital he is in so have been able to spend all day with him. Yesterday I felt positive like maybe they made a mistake and he will get ‘better’ as he was laughing with us although I’m not sure if he knew we were his daughters. Today he has slept all day he opened his eyes for a few minutes but did not seem responsive at all. Is there a chance he could become more responsive and awake again or is this it, They have withdrawn all meds and are just giving him pain relief. I just feel completely lost. I’m so sorry if this post is in the wrong place. I only just joined and I’m unsure on things. x

Noons

Mar 20, 2018
I understand how hard this must be for you, my dad is 61 and has Alzheimer’s. My sister and I live almost 3 hours away and often found it a struggle to get to him often (I have my own son and also lost my job due to my own medical condition so cannot make the drive alone+costs) he has now been given days, week(s) at best to live. I feel numb like it’s not really happening and then it comes in waves and I get punched in the stomach with so many emotions it’s hard to breathe.
We are currently staying in a family room of the hospital he is in so have been able to spend all day with him. Yesterday I felt positive like maybe they made a mistake and he will get ‘better’ as he was laughing with us although I’m not sure if he knew we were his daughters. Today he has slept all day he opened his eyes for a few minutes but did not seem responsive at all. Is there a chance he could become more responsive and awake again or is this it, They have withdrawn all meds and are just giving him pain relief. I just feel completely lost. I’m so sorry if this post is in the wrong place. I only just joined and I’m unsure on things. x

I am sorry to read these posts. My mum is 79 and has had Alzheimer's since her early 60s. She is sleeping a lot now but it breaks my heart to see that she can, very occasionally, appear to understand something. She hasn't spoken for several years. Such a cruel illness for someone who was such a gentle soul. I am assuming from other posts that this sleeping means she is slipping further away. I wonder what she dreams about. I often dream she is fine and talking to us all.

BothParents

Apr 18, 2018
Both my parents sleep most of the time. Seems in the last few weeks it's increased considerably. My father can't communicate, he just says the occasional words that don't make sense. My mother does still recognise us and will say a few words but her attention span is limited to seconds at times. Any time you see your parents decline and they become uncommunicative or just sleeping so much, it is very difficult to witness. Goodness knows how many times it has been said here, and how many times it will be said again but dementia is a very cruel disease....

Carobobs

Apr 22, 2018
Both my parents sleep most of the time. Seems in the last few weeks it's increased considerably. My father can't communicate, he just says the occasional words that don't make sense. My mother does still recognise us and will say a few words but her attention span is limited to seconds at times. Any time you see your parents decline and they become uncommunicative or just sleeping so much, it is very difficult to witness. Goodness knows how many times it has been said here, and how many times it will be said again but dementia is a very cruel disease....

As a new member and a daughter of a recently diagnosed mum I could not agree more. These threads are making me sad tonight but hopefully as time goes on they will seem more of a support!

Islay

Apr 9, 2018
Hi Rosegarden2.

My mam is end stage Alzheimers, and my dad recently diagnosed.

Mam sleeps a lot, but is still hoisted to her her electronic chair for a few hours on the morning, and afternoon, so she gets a change of scene, temperature, and I can take her round the park if I get home in time (& it’s not raining).

Maybe ask the GP for an urgent dietician assessment. Even if swallowing is still ok, it may be easier for your husband to have a milk based nutritionally balanced prescription drink? My mam has a brand prescribed called ‘fresubin’ and the vanilla and Forrest fruit are lovely. Only 200ml per drink. So not too much in one sitting. Mam has 4 a day, plus 2 x Cadbury chocolate pots, and that’s all she has. (Plus squash to drink with thickener) She has all the calories he needs, but she can drink this before she falls asleep. Before mam deteriorated we bought Wiltshire farm food meals, that were balanced but quick for the carers, they even do puréed versions. I was buying supermarket ready meals, but very few have potatoes and veg with them. Maybe the nutrition drInk may help.
Take care xx

BothParents

Apr 18, 2018
As a new member and a daughter of a recently diagnosed mum I could not agree more. These threads are making me sad tonight but hopefully as time goes on they will seem more of a support!

I am very sorry to hear of your mum's diagnosis, Carobobs, it must have come as a terrible shock for you and your family. The sadness you feel is most likely shared by many here.... don't they say "a trouble shared, is a trouble halved". I guess it isn't not possible to reduce the depth of feelings but at least here nobody is alone with their sadness.

ex sailor

May 19, 2017
Hi Rosegarden2.

My mam is end stage Alzheimers, and my dad recently diagnosed.

Mam sleeps a lot, but is still hoisted to her her electronic chair for a few hours on the morning, and afternoon, so she gets a change of scene, temperature, and I can take her round the park if I get home in time (& it’s not raining).

Maybe ask the GP for an urgent dietician assessment. Even if swallowing is still ok, it may be easier for your husband to have a milk based nutritionally balanced prescription drink? My mam has a brand prescribed called ‘fresubin’ and the vanilla and Forrest fruit are lovely. Only 200ml per drink. So not too much in one sitting. Mam has 4 a day, plus 2 x Cadbury chocolate pots, and that’s all she has. (Plus squash to drink with thickener) She has all the calories he needs, but she can drink this before she falls asleep. Before mam deteriorated we bought Wiltshire farm food meals, that were balanced but quick for the carers, they even do puréed versions. I was buying supermarket ready meals, but very few have potatoes and veg with them. Maybe the nutrition drInk may help.
Take care xx

ex sailor

May 19, 2017
Hi.
My wife diagnosed 4 years ago has been sleeping a lot for about nine month's not good to see when she is only mid sixties.
Mentioned it to Alzheimer's support worker and he said that it's the brain working overtime to cope with trying to work things out that causes the tiredness.
Regards.
Keith.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother, who suffered with AD for over 15 years, went through several stages of sleeping a great deal - 16 hours +. As long as you are able to ensure that enough fluids are being taken in, I don't think there is much more that can be done.

I did manage to get Ritalin (generic name methylphenidate) prescribed at one point and that did help my mother for about 10 months. She had to stop using it for other reasons.