Anyone know if gabapentin helps with aggression/agitation?

70smand

Dec 4, 2011
Essex
Hello, it’s a while since I’ve been here but my Dad is 72 next week and has had Alzheimer’s for about 14 years. He is now cared for in a nursing home as of the last year, where he went from a secure elderly psychiatric ward. My mum could no longer care for him at home despite my daily support due to his aggressive and erratic outbursts.
The home is ok but it will never be the same as my mum looking after him and she is heartbroken about this. She visits every afternoon without fail from 2pm to 8.30pm, when she gives him his final medication and tucks him in for bed.
Our problem is that he is deteriorating fast over the last few weeks and we feel it is the olanzapine he is on as he is very sensitive to them. The olanzapine definitely helps with his mood and they did stop it for a while but he became very aggressive again so was put back on a small dose 2.5 mg. He is also on sodium valproate because he had a couple of seizures, and all the contraindications say you shouldn’t be on anti psychotics as well.
Where we would walk him to the toilet when we visited, he can now no longer get out of the chair. He is plenty strong enough but becomes very rigid and uncoordinated and cannot take any instruction. Therefore the staff now have to hoist him to go to the toilet but he is now being incontinent, whereas this was rarely a problem when we visited as we regularly toilet him. The staff do not have the time that we have to spend with him so everything feels rushed but we now have to rely on them. My mum is devastated that yet another role of her being able to care for him has been taken away from her.
We will also no longer be able to take him out back home for dinner, as we occasionally do as we cannot get him in and out of a car, which we were able to do only a month ago, and would not be able to toilet him either.
I really feel frustrated that the olanzapine and valproate are gradually killing him and taking away any quality he has as he is happier on it most of the time but still gets very agitated during his care with the staff.
I don’t know what the answer is but have been reading up on gabapentin, which I know is for epilepsy and nerve pain and that there has been some evidence it helps with aggression and agitation in dementia, but there are very limited studies. I am aware that everyone responds differently to medication but wondered if anyone else had experience of a person with Alzheimer’s on gabapentin or Pregabalin. I sort of feel anything is worth a try to improve Dads quality of life as so many drugs are used off licence for dementia but at 72 he was always fit and well with no other health problem but his dementia until he was commenced on anti psychotics.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Hello , as far as I know Gabapentin is a painkiller especially for nerve pain . I, myself and my husband use it . Never heard of it being helpful with agitation or aggression but maybe someone here on TP knows different . I am sorry things are so difficult for you all . Sending a hug x

70smand

Dec 4, 2011
Essex
Thank you for that hug. Whilst I know his condition will deteriorate I refuse to sit back and let him become immobile because of medication without even trying something else. Prior to entering an acute psych hospital in November ‘16 he was walking for over an hour every day and I used o take him to the gym 3 x a week. Once he was overly medicated improve his aggression he became incontinent and unable to feed himself, and could hardly walk, but yes, his mood improved. I begged the dr’s to gradually reduce his medication but they wouldn’t and wanted him shipped out to a nursing home ASAP. Which was easier said than done because he didn’t get chc funding, only the extra for nursing care and no home would take him with his aggressive history, except eventually the one he is in. He would have been better off with a criminal record than a psychiatric one!
Sorry to rant xxx

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My OH has seizures and used to take gabapentin for his epilepsy, but had his medication changed to try and improve the control. I have heard that gabapentin can be used as a mood stabiliser, but I cant say that i have notice any difference in his mood since changing medication.

You could speak to the doctor who prescribed the sodium valporate about possibly changing over to gabapentin, but do be warned that any change over has to be done very slowly and there are usually "rebound" seizures during this period and for a time afterwards.

BTW, loss of mobility, incontinence etc are symptoms of dementia and might not be due to medication. Seizures can themselves cause loss of cognition and many people find that after a seizure there is a definite downturn.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
My husband was just on gabapentin for nerve pain after he had a leg amputation. It didn’t stop him becoming paranoid and aggressive and when this happened he was given a low dose of Rispirione which helped.

70smand

Dec 4, 2011
Essex
Thanks for sharing. Dad was on risperidone previously and it didn’t do much for his aggression so the dose was increased, although still an apparently low dose and almost killed him. He is so sensitive to the drug and had an awful reaction. He became completely parkinsonian, very stiff and imobile, unable to hold his head up, leg cramps, sweating with a raised temperature, so he cant have that. The minute he went on olanzapine we noticed some similar side effects with reduced mobility, but not as severe, which eased a little as they reduced it, but there was still a noticeable deterioration.
He has only had two, possibly a third unwitnessed, seizures and were told it could either be the Alzheimer’s or the olanzapine causing them.
Dad was at an outpatients appointment a month ago with a new neurologist who just kept the medication the same as he has had no further fits and discharged Dad. He asked dad if he could walk and dad promptly stood up and walked round the room. My mum and I couldn’t believe how quickly and easily he stood up and walked as we have to try all manner of coaxing usually! And now he needs hoisting as he can’t even stand - such a rapid deterioration

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar