What are the benefits of Aricept?

pebble

Apr 18, 2008
The Borders, Scotland
Following scans, tests etc my mum was recommended Aricept by her psychiatric consultant, after a home visit in April. As mum lives alone with no carer or care package, the Dr can't start medication. His Old Peoples Team have been visiting mum with a view to getting a care package in place which must involve at least one visit a day, but 7 days a week, so that the carer can dispense the Aricept. Months have gone past and any (rare) phone calls with the Team involves everyone muttering that mum is fiercely independent and that getting a carer 7 days a week is hugely problematic. I am 200 miles away and have been trying to keep a low profile as mum would explode if she thought I was even in the loop. Mostly she maintains that there is nothing wrong - it is such a shame. My getting involved and pushing the Team will cause ructions with Mum and myself and, no doubt the Team. Mum doesn't want any help of any kind but is it worth pushing that brick wall - are there benefits from the medication that would make it worth making noises? Sadly I fear that without my making waves nothing will happen (and we say that we are the 3rd richest economy in the world). It is 5 months since I managed to shoehorn Mum in to see her Doctor and actually nothing much has happened via the NHS to assist her. Is this a common problem or is Mum in a bad postcode area in Scotland?
Any practical findings on success or otherwise of Aricept would be of interest to me. Mum is described as having good going moderate dementia. Her short term memory is all but gone (mini mental state test 15 out of 30)and she is having difficulty articulating. The consultant's opening words to me were that someone with her level of difficulty would normally be in a care home by now - yet 5 months later she has survived another 5 months where she wants to be - in her own home which she keeps tidy and in her beloved garden.
Thanks for this, pebble

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Pebbles I don't have much advice to offer you about the benefits of Aricept but I WOULD be questioning why having carers is a pre-requisite before the medication can be prescribed. I can see that there might be issues with her not taking it appropriately, but I was under the impression that to a certain extent they wait to see if it is a problem rather than assume it's going to be. Perhaps Scotland is different. Something to think about anyway.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Pebbles,

You've raised a lot of issues...

And I do know things are different in Scotland....

1. Consultant is saying mum can have Aricept..but only if someone is there to dispense it. That's fair enough..because if mum either..doesn't take it..or takes too many..how would anyone know?

2. Benefits of medication...that's another nitty gritty..because someone needs to monitor the effects of the medication..bearing in mind it doesn't suit everyone.

3.Mum is refusing support from outsiders....and you are 200 miles away...
yet 5 months later she has survived another 5 months where she wants to be - in

That's wonderful..but Pebble..I don't want to add to your concerns..the chances are that mum will continue to deteriorate...and you will be having emergency dashes to sort things out.

It's so important..I think..that you contact the consultant again yourself and get something in place for your mum now..before there is further deterioration.

Sorry to be so blunt..but a bit of "sorting out" now may save you a lot of problems in the future.

And I know it's not going to be easy...but please address the problems now..and don't wait for them to become a crisis

My getting involved and pushing the Team will cause ructions with Mum and myself and

But you may have to do this....for your mum's sake..and yours.

love gigi xx

julieann15

Jun 13, 2008
Leicestershire
Hi
I agree with Jennifer- mum was prescribed Aricept but care wasn't a prerequisite to her having it. Care started a later down the line. I do mum's pill box when I go over and then normally now she takes them while the carer is there.They prompt her is she does not remember.
Mum's new CPN called( This one is great compared to the other one she had) she is going in next week to do the box as I am unable to get in next week due to other commitments- her old one would never have offered to do that!

Julie xx

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I do agree with what Gigi has said, but I'm still not sure what justification there can be for refusing to provide the medication without someone to administer it. I mean to say, they don't suddenly make this a prerequisite for any other medication you may be taking once you've been diagnosed with dementia. I must say I think it might be a good idea if they did, having had issues there personally, but they don't, so how come with this drug?

Sorry if this sounds argumentative, but it seems illogical to me.

Short girl

Mar 22, 2008
My Nan got prescribed Aricept - she hates pills at the best of times and to be honest getting worse with them. I left a note and the packet for carers to dispense for her - didn't really work often she refused or said she'd had one, hence didn't always have it daily. Given all the aggrevation I kind of wonder whether it was honestly worth the hassle.