Driving concerns!

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi although I like the Video that Bod just talked about , the actual driving assessment entails a bit more than that what we saw on the Video hopefully I attached a file but if doesn't load sorry

just had a look :) yes it works open with PDF

Attachments

• Driving_assessment_information_sheet.pdf
    92.2 KB · Views: 542

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
See what happens at the memory clinic.
Once he is diagnosed with dementia you have to report it to the DVLA anyway - this is mandatory.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
I'm all for keeping bad drivers off the road but just having a diagnoses of dementia doesn't mean your a bad driver and hopefully they are all fully insured.
However when kids are driving without a license insurance Where are the irresponsible Parents

More than 1,000 driving bans were issued in 2017 to children not legally old enough to be behind the wheel.

The number of disqualifications for children aged 16 and under rose to 1,024 last year, compared with 696 in 2014, according to DVLA figures.

Children as young as 12 were among those banned, with 33 disqualifications issued in total during 2017 for those aged 13 and under.

Motoring group the RAC described the figures as "the tip of the iceberg".

Currently, UK courts can impose driving bans on those who are legally too young to drive. Once they have turned 17 and their disqualification period ends, they will be able to drive again.

The statistics were given to the BBC under the Freedom of Information Act.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I agree and there probably many people diagnosed with dementia who are very capable still of driving well for a long time just as there are many good and bad drivers who are non dementia. However from the OP's description of her OH and her considerable concerns this does not seem to be the case here.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
That is all very true Tony, but just because you have to report a medical condition to the DVLA, it doesnt necessarily mean that they will ban you. There are lots of things that you have to report (mandatory) to DVLA and lots of people driving perfectly well with these conditions.
In this case, though it sounds like this gentleman should not be driving.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
That is all very true Tony, but just because you have to report a medical condition to the DVLA, it doesnt necessarily mean that they will ban you. There are lots of things that you have to report (mandatory) to DVLA and lots of people driving perfectly well with these conditions.
In this case, though it sounds like this gentleman should not be driving.

Yes I agree with you 100% Canary and did say that to Yorkie46 , plus I don’t condone any type incompetent drivers irrespective of age or medical condition and I do think it needs to be address the point I was trying to make a person aged 12 driving with no insurance cover gets a 5 year driving ban therefore at age of 17 can legally drive what sort of message it that

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
HI Guys google this one only happened today unbelievable:mad:

Police who stop 13-year-old driving a car are told 'it was only a short journey'

Danny84

Jan 30, 2018
Just to add to this I have concerns myself over my 77yr old father who has memory problems. He has a licence but I'm scared he might jump out in traffic or misjudge on the roads which is why i've told him not to drive.

I do most of the driving anyway but I have now taken over driving my father everywhere, I'm now the chauffeur.

I've just been to the memory clinic for the first time today and they gave me a leaflet on driving with memory problems. They told my father to just let me drive, it is best that way and he is ok with this.

As far as I know you don't have to hand your licence in unless you get a diagnosis, we haven't yet. We are now awaiting the next appointment which I'm told maybe around 8 weeks.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
The consultant said that my husband should not drive but not for how long and should notify the DVLA. He forgot about this so I called them and got the forms. He can either surrender his license or fill out the medical paperwork. He wanted to fill out the forms so I reminded him that he had to do this and he has put in name dob address telephone number and email address. I do not feel that I should have to complete the paperwork but I don’t think he will be able to do it. I am biased because I don’t think that he should be driving now but he still wants to. If he doesn’t complete the forms in 2 weeks his license will be revoked. I await events because a week has passed already. I just wanted to put it down to sort out my thoughts.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My feeling is that if he doesnt fill in the forms and his licence is revoked then its not your fault that he cant drive......
;)

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi Yorkie46 sorry but I think your putting the cart before the horse, my suggestion is Get the Diagnoses because without that its impossibly to fill in the form and it will probably take anything from 9 to 12 months for the DVLA to complete all the necessary paperwork before they give a final decision “ WHY” it’s not a quick fix first they receive the form from your husband they then send your husband a Consent Form to grant permission “ your husband has to give his consent” to allow the DVLA to contact you G.P / Consultant this will drag on

I’m a person with a diagnoses of dementia but I’m definitely not demented and dealt with DVLA
for probably 19 years almost a third of my entire lifetime :mad::( kept my brain active :)

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
I think the way forward is to let him fill them out, and if he can do that then rightly the process will be set in motion. He may have to have a driving assessment but in the meantime he will not drive.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
This is always a very difficult situation. Fortunately my Mum was advised by the memory clinic to stop driving, and although she was disappointed, she took it pretty well, all things considered.
We did "lose" her car keys for a few weeks after the decision was made so that she couldn't forget - or indeed deliberately try to thwart us. She also surrendered her licence to the dvla which I think underlined the process. After a while she pretty much lost interest in the whole thing, which surprised me.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi can I want to point something out to you , You can continue Driving whilst the DVLA deals with your application you don't have to stop driving, see attached response from DVLA remember I have lots of experience on the subject looking at thought the eyes of a person with dementia

Attachments

• DVLA xx01.pdf
    261.9 KB · Views: 597

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
If someone has been advised by a dr not to drive, they can't legally drive, as the last point on your letter states. In addition once a Dr says you can't drive you are no longer insured.

This I understand applies irrespective of requirement to notify DVLA, eg after an op if a Dr says you can't drive for 6 weeks (I obtained (free) legal advice when I had a caesarean)

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
If someone has been advised by a dr not to drive, they can't legally drive, as the last point on your letter states. In addition once a Dr says you can't drive you are no longer insured.

This I understand applies irrespective of requirement to notify DVLA, eg after an op if a Dr says you can't drive for 6 weeks (I obtained (free) legal advice when I had a caesarean)

Hi yes your probably right but that's when you have differentiate Illness which there are many but in the case of Yorkie46 husband he hasn't been diagnosed with any Illness at so Not sure of the G'P reason to suggest he stops driving with dementia it can take a long time to get the Diagnoses
not always evident

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
In my OHs case he has lost his spacial awareness and judgement and this shows that PWD are different but the same if you know what I mean. He came home from town today but couldn’t remember the way to get home from a different place than usual but can if it’s the usual way. So he took a taxi, sensible so all is not lost! His mathematical skills are still very good because he can remember codes for locks and other numbers without any trouble.