Introducing me and guidance please

notnamedbill

Feb 22, 2018
Hi, I'm male, nearly 60 (in 2 months, poor old ******) and I have been diagnosed has having primary Microvascular Disease (Small Vessel Disease) for the last 10 years with no diabetes. I have Vascular Spasms in 4 main areas; heart, neck/head, abdomen and skin (Raynauds). Originally I was thought to be having TIA's as it showed up on CT scans but after a MRI a neurologist diagnosed MVD, apparently I have a spongy bit and some white bits? Nice for me to see but too so what for me to take notice and as she said I'll put you on the at risk of stroke register but there's nothing to be done now! this was about 7 years ago.
Leaving the other areas out of this, I'll just concentrate on the neck/head stuff. My arteries go into spasm (constrict) multiple times during the day, most of the time its just nuisance value but at least once per day it affects my neck/head enough to make me feel dizzy and about every few days they effect my sight, hearing and mental ability especially after exercise or just doing.
My sight dims and becomes fuzzy rather than just out of focus. I have already lost most of my high frequency hearing due to Hypoperfusion killing off the little hairs but all sounds become mixed at this time. I also get Palpitations in my jaw and head, but my memory or confusion seems to be getting worse.
I understand that 'Vascular Dementia' is a real possibility but I'm wondering if I'm going into it early or that it is just signs. So every few days during spasms:

1. I am finding it difficult to find the key word I want to say? I know the word, I can see the word but I cannot find a way of saying it!

2. Swear words are easily found to replace words, in all honesty I don't swear but I cannot help it?

3. Simple tasks become impossible, even making a drink becomes a think about it first and everything I know I used to do easily I have to think about usually backing quickly away from even trying.

4. My speech becomes slow and slurred as if I've had a few alcoholic drinks

5. I get dizzy as if drunk either crabbing to the side (usually left) or falling backwards.

6. If I push to hard at this point I can be physically sick again as if drunk.

7. I have to concentrate on only one thing at a time or I get confused and loose what I was doing

My wife and me get in to arguments at this time, there are very few physical signs that I'm feeling this way so if I don't comply or join in the conversation or do something she wants to know why and I get angry at not being able to! and her for pushing me?
I'm already under plenty of doctors but should I get this checked out? My wife thinks counselling may help but I think she maybe hiding from the truth? and is there anything that can be done other than medication that I'm on already?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @notnamedbill

I don't know enough about small vessel disease but suggest you show your post to your doctor .

My father had hydrocephalus and the affected area of his brain caused similar symptoms to yours.

The first signs were slurred speech. My father was teetotal and a family friend said if she didn't`t know better she would think my father was drunk.
His speech was also affected as was his word finding and his gait.

I'm not suggesting you have the same but I do think it may be a similar area of the brain which is affected.

I would certainly want to discuss this with my doctor.

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
Hello and welcome! My husband has had one major stroke and the MRI at that time showed several past “silent” strokes and he was also diagnosed with SVD. The blocks of white matter obviously affect different parts of the brain. His mobility is affected, his speech and speed of finding words is affected, his executive function is affected (takes longer to work out how to do things) but the most noticeable symptom is mood and behavioral changes. It may be your wife who needs help in understanding how to deal with these. Too easily they can lead to arguments. Far better to agree, walk away or distract.

The brain is so complex and as we age and maybe with heart and blood pressure problems, it does not get as much oxygen as it should. Grannie G always gives really good advice and maybe a chat with your GP would bring understanding.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @notnamedbill
welcome from me too
I agree, as you are concerned, a chat with your GP is a good idea - your post is very clear, so maybe print it out to show the GP
could you also show it to your wife, so she can begin to grasp how it is for you
you say that it may be difficult for your wife to realise what is happening as there are few if any physical signs - might you both agree a word/phrase/sound you could use at these times to give her a signal, or a physical gesture to show her - and have an agreed response from her, which may be as simple as leaving you be and coming back 5 mins later, or whatever will help
I'm adding a link to a thread on compassionate communication, it helped me start to see things from my dad's point of view
https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/sho...ionate-Communication-with-the-Memory-Impaired
http://www.ocagingservicescollabora...te-Communication-with-the-Memory-Impaired.pdf
would your wife join us here, too? - it may help her to see neither of you are alone in your situation

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sheree.fielder1