Can I ... Should I?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I think the spirit of CM will definitely be in the mix of lifting. I intend to collect a few bottles on the way through duty free, even though it won’t be duty free lol

When I’ve checked in I’m off duty for 9 nights!!!

The sun always lifts my mood @DollyBird16, I managed to fully rotate my left shoulder in November, so I might even manage a few lengths of the pool, so long as it’s warm enough

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I read a post earlier, yet another about protecting inheritance & as usual it irritated me.

My parents worked hard & invested for their retirement, as many of their generation did. They went on lots of holidays, they spent their money, as they should.

My dad used to say, they earned it & they wouId spend it.

If dad had been treated, maybe he wouId still be here busting my chops & Mum wouId still be telling me how to live my life. They wouId have been off travelling, cruising, going on date nights (yes they still did that!), I’d never have thought of them spending my inheritance

So why is it, that just because someone gets sick, needs looking after, might need care, care homes, medical equipment etc that some people suddenly see their “inheritance” being spent?

It’s not yours.

They’re not dead, the money is not yours.

I didn’t earn it. It’s not mine. It’s hers. If Mum needs care, she will get it. If Mum needs a care home, she will pay. If that means I’m standing in line with my hand out asking for somewhere to live, well, that’s how it is. I made a choice & I’ll survive.

Get over it, it’s not your money. If money means that much to you. Go earn it. They did

I’m climbing back down off my soap box (it’s far too high for my vertigo), I’m off to find a comfy chair & a nice CM

I might even try for some sleep lol

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
Blimy @Margi29 you are up late, hope that’s not a bad thing

A good doctor wouId definitely tell me to go get some rest, sleep, sun & have fun!!!!
Well after having grandchildren today, after staying over with mum last night, I actually thought about 19.00 I would have a little power nap on the couch.

Big mistake !!

Should have gone to bed, two hours later I woke !! Now wide awake in bed :eek:

I'm not sure which is more exhaustive, 88 year old who never appears tired or two grandchildren who never give in neither lol

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Sam, I am DELIGHTED to hear you have booked a holiday. It is lovely to have something pleasant to anticipate, isn't it? I am so pleased for you.

I'm also a list maker. I'd be lost, without lists.

I hear what you are saying about "inheritance expectations" and it drives me batty. There is no such thing as an inheritance, until someone has died (barring complicated situations such as trusts, and even then, not always, depending on how things are set up). I don't understand why anyone would ever expect or count on an inheritance, much less feel entitled to one. I will be thrilled if my mother's money lasts long enough to pay for the care she needs. (My father left me some money when he died and I would happily give every single penny of it several times over, for five more minutes with him.) I am puzzled by the mindset of expecting something from parents, beyond whatever they have already done for you. I suppose that having a parent who talks about wanting to leave you money or property or whatever, doesn't help the situation.

Lesson: If you want to give your kids anything, and be certain they will receive it, do it while you're alive and well!

Sorry, I'll get off the soapbox, but this topic comes up fairly often, and I'm usually dismayed.

How are things in general, Sam? Do you seem to be healing okay?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Morning @Amy in the US

I’m pleased to have made the decision to go & have pressed the buttons to book. I do tend to fret until I climb on the plane. I have a real fear of missing my flight (did once & nearly another time). However, I’m going to get everything in place & be there early & try to relax & watch the time disappear.

Mum talks of wanting to leave me something, but I tell her the money is hers, I encourage her to buy those shoes, a new coat, I’d get her on a cruise if I could lol. My brother & I talked, he is adamant she is to spend it all, it’s hers to spend, so thankfully I don’t have any arguments coming from him on inheritance

On other things ... I’m just so tired. I spend an hour cleaning or walking to the shops & I'm wiped out. I think I’m crawling into the lounge more than Mum these days. The Fitbit says I’m averaging a little over 4 hours sleep a night, so not surprising I’m tired. I have to be up early for the support workers, but I can’t seem to sleep at night.

Stitches out today. I hope. I changed the dressing yesterday & I don’t think it’s healed properly. The bottom 3 stitches don’t seem to be holding it close enough & there is a gap. I’m not happy as I’ve been really good about not overdoing it. I’ll have to wait & see what the doctor says. Fingers crossed.

I’m considering investing in some make up to make me appear alive. I don’t need anyone else telling me how awful I look lol

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I'm so with you on the inheritance thing, especially when they say how hard their parents worked. Yup, they worked for themselves, not for you!

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
And on to frivolity...

Mum is always being told to slow down, Physio, stoke nurse, support worker, me, but she still keeps trying to run down the stairs etc

So, yesterday, pooch got involved lol

Mum went to go downstairs & pooch hopped in front of her, then walked very slowly down in front of her so she couldn’t speed up

Well done pooch :)

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
And on to frivolity...

Mum is always being told to slow down, Physio, stoke nurse, support worker, me, but she still keeps trying to run down the stairs etc

So, yesterday, pooch got involved lol

Mum went to go downstairs & pooch hopped in front of her, then walked very slowly down in front of her so she couldn’t speed up

Well done pooch :)
I like it !!! At least pooch has control of some sort with your mum :D
Can he be trained to eventually come up here and try and slow my mum down :eek:

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Yippee to holiday booked.

Lack of sleep doesn't sound good. Needs to be addressed somehow even if it is an afternoon catnap. No suggestions. I am short of sleep due to scitica and getting more than that and still feel poo.

If stitches haven't done job can you use steri strips? I've done that a few times before and it works.

Last edited:

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
Just been trying to catch up with all your posts but my head started to spin so I’ve had to stop!

Good for you, booking a holiday, you certainly need it. Oh for a bit of sun! I’ve been to lanzogrot twice. First time when I was 18 and second time was with OH for a Christmas/new year holiday. Best way to spend that time of year. We had a great time, even with 3 kids in tow (aged 12, 5 and not yet 2). I didn’t know it but I was pregnant with no 4. OH was allowed to go off and do his thing as long as he took whatever children I could persuade to go, that way I got some peace and quiet! We got drunk on free champagne at a little cafe watching the fireworks. Those were the days.

How exciting. I bet you are counting down the days whilst frantically ticking things off your list.

How is the family tree going? I was lucky as a relative did the trees for both mum and dad. They are somewhere safe, so safe that I can’t remember where I put them! :rolleyes:

At least you have you kindle now with the hundreds of books on it. Saves the weight of books in luggage.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Ooh, so much to catch up on!

Really,really pleased that you are going on holiday - you so need it!
I agree with @jugglingmum - steristrips can work very well if the wound is gaping.

Had to laugh at pooch slowing down mum. Lots of treats deserved there :D

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Evening all,

Clever Pooch for slowing SamMummy down! You could have a little side-line renting him out to people in similar situations :D

I'm sorry that you are so sleep deprived :( I don't know how you are still conscious, never mind functioning on so little! Some sun, sea and sleep really are what any decent doctor would order.

Hope that the stitches are out now, with or without some steri-strips.