Please keep me and my Family in your thoughts

Beannie

Aug 17, 2015
East Midlands
After nearly 8 years battling Alzheimers Dementia and Parkinsons Disease my OH is now nearing the end of his life at the age of only 64. He is receiving End of Life Care at his Nursing Home after being transferred back there from hospital. Two weeks ago he was suddenly taken seriously ill and taken to hospital and was diagnosed with a serious UTI, Pneumonia, sepsis and then finally the serious strain of flu!! Unfortunately his already compromised immune system couldn't cope and myself and our daughter as his Power of Attorney's and the Doctors made the decision on Monday to withdraw the antibiotics and fluid drip and allow him to die peacefully.

It has been a roller coaster ride for us particularly in the last 5 months and if you have seen my previous posts we were in fact due to have a meeting last Thursday with the CHC, Social Worker, My Attorney and the Nursing Home Manager as his behaviour had deteriorated to such a point that it was felt he needed to be moved to a Mental Health Unit. This latest development will mean there will be no need for the meeting or for my OH to have to be moved again.

Talking Point has been a Godsend for me as it has allowed me to rant and rave, get valuable information and at times offer support to others. I would urge everyone to have a Power of Attorney for Health and Wealth to cover situations like mine. The Doctors had to consult with me and ask my opinion as my OH was unable to speak for himself and because we had had 'The Conversation' I knew exactly what I had to do. However I never imagined it would be like this. Again many thanks to my fellow Talking Pointers and continue to support each other.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I'm so sorry @Beannie . It's such a heartbreaking thing, having to actually make the decision to stop treatment and allow our loved ones to leave us. We will all be with you, as you keep your vigil, and wishing you strength and endurance.

Heylowe

Mar 15, 2015
Sending you a big hug. I'm so sorry & know, as a family, we aren't far from this situation. Be brave & know that you're doing incredibly well.
You're right, this forum is amazing! So much support.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
just posting to add my sympathy and support
may your OH go in peace
be gentle with yourself Beannie

Risa

Apr 13, 2015
Essex
{{{Hugs}}} Thinking of you Beannie and your family during this difficult time.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I remember your other posts and you've had such a rough ride. No-one who hasn't dealt with this disease can possibly imagine the reality of it. I'm so sorry and hope you can all find some peace now.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to read your sad news. A heartbreaking time for you all. Wishing you strength.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Sending lots of love & strength to you all. I can’t begin to imagine what you are going through.

marmarlade

Jan 26, 2015
After nearly 8 years battling Alzheimers Dementia and Parkinsons Disease my OH is now nearing the end of his life at the age of only 64. He is receiving End of Life Care at his Nursing Home after being transferred back there from hospital. Two weeks ago he was suddenly taken seriously ill and taken to hospital and was diagnosed with a serious UTI, Pneumonia, sepsis and then finally the serious strain of flu!! Unfortunately his already compromised immune system couldn't cope and myself and our daughter as his Power of Attorney's and the Doctors made the decision on Monday to withdraw the antibiotics and fluid drip and allow him to die peacefully.

It has been a roller coaster ride for us particularly in the last 5 months and if you have seen my previous posts we were in fact due to have a meeting last Thursday with the CHC, Social Worker, My Attorney and the Nursing Home Manager as his behaviour had deteriorated to such a point that it was felt he needed to be moved to a Mental Health Unit. This latest development will mean there will be no need for the meeting or for my OH to have to be moved again.

Talking Point has been a Godsend for me as it has allowed me to rant and rave, get valuable information and at times offer support to others. I would urge everyone to have a Power of Attorney for Health and Wealth to cover situations like mine. The Doctors had to consult with me and ask my opinion as my OH was unable to speak for himself and because we had had 'The Conversation' I knew exactly what I had to do. However I never imagined it would be like this. Again many thanks to my fellow Talking Pointers and continue to support each other.[/QUOT
I too had to make the decision to with draw all hubbys care,and put on end of life care ,but he couldnt have been better cared for,he also had pneumonia and a broken hip,I tried to look on it as because I loved him ,he couldnt suffer any more

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I am thinking of you and during the coming days. I know from the same decision I made for Dad to stop iv fluids and antibiotics and take him back to his NH to end of life with familiar people and environment...It is a hard time for everyone. I hope your OH is kept comfortable and peaceful and that you manage to get some rest. And yes I tell everyone I see...poa health as well as finance is important just in case it is ever needed.

Scouts girl

Jan 18, 2017
My thoughts are with you too at this very sad time. It is heartbreaking to finally let go and stop all treatment for our loved ones at the end of their life. No one can prepare us for the suffering they have to endure and it is only through our unconditional love that we have to finally say goodbye and let them go peacefully.