Welcome to Talking Point - introduce yourself here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ropo55

Feb 20, 2018
Hi I'm new to this site. My dad is 91 and has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. He has been great up until a couple of months ago. His memory has been failing but we could cope with that. He has poor mobility as he needs a second hip replacement op which needs to be reconstructed and docs are reluctant to do it. We can cope with that too. We have a wheelchair for him and would love to take him out a couple of times a week. The problem is he will not get out of bed. If he does it is late afternoon. When he is "up" he sleeps most of the time. Any hints or tips on how to get him up?

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Hi I'm new to this site. My dad is 91 and has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. He has been great up until a couple of months ago. His memory has been failing but we could cope with that. He has poor mobility as he needs a second hip replacement op which needs to be reconstructed and docs are reluctant to do it. We can cope with that too. We have a wheelchair for him and would love to take him out a couple of times a week. The problem is he will not get out of bed. If he does it is late afternoon. When he is "up" he sleeps most of the time. Any hints or tips on how to get him up?

Welcome to TP @Ropo55
I found with my dad that home/bed was his safe place as he was scared & confused by going out. It’s sadly quite common with PWD.

CymruSian

Feb 20, 2018
Hi,
Sadly, I've a few years experience of dementia, as I care for my grandparents who both have/had it and my Mum also has dementia (my siblings care for her) Sadly, my Gramps died 9 years ago after quickly deteriorating with vascular dementia. The change in him in such a short period of time was quite shocking. Currently my Gran is living with dementia and has moved into a care home near to me, in the West Midlands, from South Wales last June (I was visiting her every week in Wales) I'm 42 and have three children of my own, so sometimes things can be hectic. My Gran's health has been up and down for a number of years now, she has lost so much weight in the last year, lost more eyesight, gets confused and is struggling to form and retrieve words now. One worry is the legal side of things and dealing with the Court of Protection, I'm still going through the process to become Deputy and I've never completed forms like this before, if there is anyone with advice about this I would be hugely appreciative.
I'm looking forward to exploring this forum, as what I've seen so far looks extremely helpful.
Many thanks.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to TP, @CymruSian. Sorry you are going through the dementia battles again, especially with the added responsibility of looking after your children.
I don't know the details of Court of Protection, we went down the Power of Attorney route. AgeUK helped us with the forms and I know carers support centre in Bristol can help there, so may be worth contacting your local centre if AgeUK can't help.

CymruSian

Feb 20, 2018
Thank you for your response. I will try AgeUK, hadn’t thought of them, just a helping hand would be fab.
Thank you again :)

Welcome to TP, @CymruSian. Sorry you are going through the dementia battles again, especially with the added responsibility of looking after your children.
I don't know the details of Court of Protection, we went down the Power of Attorney route. AgeUK helped us with the forms and I know carers support centre in Bristol can help there, so may be worth contacting your local centre if AgeUK can't help.[/QUOTE]
Th
I don't know the details of Court of Protection, we went down the Power of Attorney route. AgeUK helped us with the forms and I know carers support centre in Bristol can help there, so may be worth contacting your local centre if AgeUK can't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.