Mom keep closing her eyes while awake

Mama79

Feb 9, 2018
My mom recently got a cold which turned into light bronchitis ( no fever) just phlegm. 10 days after she started closing her eyes during the day. She can hear us, she can laugh but keep them closed. She opens when we ask her to but just for a few second. If asked why are you closing her answer is i am just resting and that it is more comfortable. Anyone had this happen with Alzheimers? she is still eating and drinking ( with help) she walks and all else is normal..

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Mama79, welcome to TP, you will find this a friendly, informative and supportive place.

I don’t have personal experience of this sort of thing, however, I have read about this in others so it is a known phenomenon. You mention that your mum had a recent infection and infections can play havoc with people with dementia, however, they often bounce back.

I’m sure others with actual experience of this will be along to advise. Please take a good look around the site and keep posting with any questions or observations.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
This is something my husband did in the early stages of his illness particularly when eating. My grandchildren found it odd and amusing that he could close himself off from the world at the table and still eat.

I began to give him his meals on a tray on his lap in front of the TV - not a practice he had ever done - and strangely he began to open his eyes again when eating.

I can't explain why he did this other than to rest his brain.

Mama79

Feb 9, 2018
Hello @Mama79, welcome to TP, you will find this a friendly, informative and supportive place.

I don’t have personal experience of this sort of thing, however, I have read about this in others so it is a known phenomenon. You mention that your mum had a recent infection and infections can play havoc with people with dementia, however, they often bounce back.

I’m sure others with actual experience of this will be along to advise. Please take a good look around the site and keep posting with any questions or observations.
Thank you so much for getting back to me. what a difficult disease to deal with..i am alone taking care of her with a kind nurse at home.. It is just i want to make sure there is nothing more i can do. WE are keeping her hydrated and fed. I am also doing constant blood work to make sure her infection is gone.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
It is a difficult thing to deal with but the members here are all watching each others back, so to speak. We are all on the dementia journey together but at different parts of the road which is why TP is such a valuable resource.

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
It could be she is sitting facing the light, perhaps moving her chair so the light is not glaring may help.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I'd say n the care home it's pretty common for people to have their eyes shut but be awake, my wife is like that most of the time. Sometimes it's impossible to work out who's awake and who's asleep, it's only when you say something that attracts their attention that their eyes open, those that can still hear and understand that is.
Some do it, some don't but it seems to be the later stage ones that do it the most.
My wife appears to be asleep but put something near her mouth and she opens it thinking it's food time, you seems to have her eyes closed when eating but always opens her mouth as the fork approaches it.
K

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
My mother did this a lot in mid-later stages, and I also noticed it in other care home residents.
Maybe they feel more comfortable shutting out a confusing world, or maybe they just feel more comfortable like that, full stop.
Please don't worry about it - it would seem to be quite normal.

silver star

May 23, 2017
My mother-in-law does this a lot especially in the evening. I have to remind my husband that she probably isn't asleep all the time. We can really only be sure when she starts snoring. We do find it infuriating at times, especially when she asked to watch something on T.V then she seems to be asleep. When we say it's bedtime she then says she doesn't want to go, or asks for t.v to be put on in her room. 5 mins later she is snoring! Have worked out how to use the timer on her T.V, but she has to have it up loud and my husband has to go to work at 5 a.m so not ideal really!

pinkwizard1

Oct 9, 2017
My mother-in-law does this a lot especially in the evening. I have to remind my husband that she probably isn't asleep all the time. We can really only be sure when she starts snoring. We do find it infuriating at times, especially when she asked to watch something on T.V then she seems to be asleep. When we say it's bedtime she then says she doesn't want to go, or asks for t.v to be put on in her room. 5 mins later she is snoring! Have worked out how to use the timer on her T.V, but she has to have it up loud and my husband has to go to work at 5 a.m so not ideal really!
Can you manage to get text added to her TV, then disable the volume....works wonders in this house

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
My FIL did this in the late stage. He would open his eyes when asked so had that limited understanding which was strange as he couldn't make sense of a lot of things by then...but would close them almost immediately.

silver star

May 23, 2017
Can you manage to get text added to her TV, then disable the volume....works wonders in this house
Unfortunately she can't read very well anymore. Took her for eye test today, they could not get a pressure reading or see anything in it. So waiting for hospital to ring to take her. Thanks for the idea though.

Baby Bunty

Jan 24, 2018
Hi all..my mum is in late stages and has her eyes closed most off the time..she still eats little and drinks..but all with eyes closed..when i ask her to open them..she says they are. Xxx

acorns

Jan 25, 2018
My mother closes her eyes a great deal of the time too. The carers call it a 'foxy sleep' as she seems to hear things when you assume she wasn't listening! I hadn't thought about it being the strong light or the need to rest her brain. Perhaps they just need to shut out too many distracting things and focus on one sense at a time. I wondered if the air was too dry or maybe she was spending too long sitting staring in the same direction (or at the TV). Re infection what is 'blood work'?

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Oh, goodness, I'm sorry for any confusion. Yes, in the States "blood tests" and "blood work" and "labs" are all used interchangeably, to mean, drawing a blood sample and running tests on it in a lab. I didn't stop to think it might not be common parlance elsewhere. Mea culpa!

jibacoa

Mar 5, 2018
My mom recently got a cold which turned into light bronchitis ( no fever) just phlegm. 10 days after she started closing her eyes during the day. She can hear us, she can laugh but keep them closed. She opens when we ask her to but just for a few second. If asked why are you closing her answer is i am just resting and that it is more comfortable. Anyone had this happen with Alzheimers? she is still eating and drinking ( with help) she walks and all else is normal..
My mother also started doing that a couple of weeks ago and I don't know why. I'm wondering is this part of the progression?

Baby Bunty

Jan 24, 2018
Me too..after 4 course of abx since xmas she still has eyes closed..not all times but most.xx

Franker

Jun 3, 2017
Yes. My mum started doing this we noticed at our last visit with her at her care facility. The entire visit her eyes were closed. She would open them if we asked but only for a few seconds. Mum was awake the entire time and in her wheelchair. She still talks to us (though her sentences fall apart and she misses words and falls into her past) if we ask her something. She recognizes our voices somewhere, we give her comfort, but she doesn't know us anymore. She still laughs at jokes. She cannot sit or walk or take care of herself in any way. But she still will eat. Loves chocolate. She looks very frail but seems happy when we are with her and loves to sing. But her eyes being closed is new.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan