Situation deteriorating - support please!

Short girl

Mar 22, 2008
Looks like Lynne experiencing similiar with her mum. Basically my Nan is not eating enough.
Nan seems to have deteriorated somewhat during the last month or so and has become very low in mood and unmotivated - both myself and the carers are throwing out lots of food and finding the delivered meals hardly touched. She says she just doesn't feel like eating, feels sick (and has been) and she just feels "bloody awful" - she's very vague here.
Anyway, got some medical advice here and having gone through all the usual things there does not appear to be any medical reasons.
Her nausea seems due to the fact she has an empty stomach - thankfully she is drinking fluids - stools are normal.
Basically she just sits there in her chair with her head low - for some unbeknown reason she disconnected the phone and helpline twice and I found her slipper in her bed.
Spoke to my Aunt whose attitude was less than helpful - it was like 'she wants to die - let her get on with it'.
I can see where this is going to lead - I see it in my job - she will need medical attention with the word ACOPIA!!
I can't be there daily - I work and have a family, who are already being compromised.
I have taken the decision to look for a short stay for her (thankfully she has funds way in excess of Social Service limit) - I seriously think with 24/7 care, she'll first have all her needs (personal care, medication, food, stimulation) seen to and importantly - some motivation as they'll always be folk around to chivvy her along a bit - it could perk her up if nothing else and get her through this phrase. I talked to her about a holiday and being 'looked after' and she was very accepting of this.
Am I doing the right thing?
The future looks certain to be residential care in any case given her deterioration.
I have registered Enduring Power of Attorney - likely to get a bit of **** from my Aunt as she'll see her inheritance dissappear - but my husband will have something to say to her with a few home truths - after all she's only sees her 3 times a year and it's me that's played the caring role and taken all the stress.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Am I doing the right thing?

Yes you are. Sorry to read this is happing to your Nan , but it does read like your Nan does need 24/7 supervision.

Am sure more people will pop in with advice .

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Short girl,

Support arriving....although I've never been in your situation..as Maggie has said others around will have been and may be able to offer advice!

From my point of view I think you're doing all the right things..and being very practical and responsible in the way you are dealing with your Nan.

I was wondering if, as she's medically fit..she could be depressed?

And it may be that a short break with other stimulation would help.

Forget your aunt..concentrate on your own family and your Nan..

and don't forget to let us know how things work out.

Love gigi xx

ps...
she will need medical attention with the word ACOPIA!!
....sorry...what does this mean?.....:confused:

It's ok....I googled it!!!!....Inability to cope in a psychosocial setting..no underlying medical reason....So it could be a form of depression. Have you asked her consultant for a review? xx

Last edited:

Short girl

Mar 22, 2008
Hi

Many thanks - now I know I am doing the right thing, my mind is made up.
My Nan's had depression before, got meds prescibed and she reacted VVbadly. Her GP told me he can't prescribed anti-depressants. My experience in social care tells me that if I seek medical opinion it will be referred to social! I see it all the time - people that need help are constantly 'bounced' between the two professions like a hot potato!
Just getting some details of some places of CSCI - fortunately I know some of them fairly well.
Soooo different when it's your own.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello again!

My experience in social care tells me that if I seek medical opinion it will be referred to social! I see it all the time - people that need help are constantly 'bounced' between the two professions like a hot potato!

But...like you say...it's different when it's your own!!!

Please don't be blinkered by previous experiences..especially if you work in that environment.

I would still urge you to seek further medical advice..only my humble opinion...

Wishing you all the best...

Love gigi xx

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Short girl said:
Spoke to my Aunt whose attitude was less than helpful - it was like 'she wants to die - let her get on with it'.

What a terrible attitude.:(

Short girl said:
after all she's only sees her 3 times a year

This is a blessing you can count! :rolleyes:

I hope that everything works out well. Regards, Taffy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Justinadmitrijeva