Memory Clinic Feedback

UpToMe

Oct 10, 2017
I attended a memory clinic with my 85 year old Mum last month.
The report said she has "mild mixed dementia of vascula and Alzheimers type"
I said she did well and would get a B+.
It turned out she got an A, with 21/30 on the Mini Mental State Examination" (she got the year, month and season wrong during the test but a week later knew the date in Boots when we picked up her prescription.)

Orientation scored 0/3 for delayed recall and 0/5 for another one.

We have a CT scan booked for next week and I am hopeful it wont show too much damage.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Sometimes, things can fluctuate week to week, @UpToMe . And sometimes, a person will have natural strengths in some areas. The things to watch for are changes in cognitive function. For example, I would go way down on any part of a test to do with figures and numbers. But that's not something that has "deteriorated" in me. That's something I never could do, even as a child.

Danny84

Jan 30, 2018
I have just received an appointment to take my father into the memory clinic in March.

My father does well at some things and bad at others, for example he can do the crosswords no problem but certain questions in the short memory test at the Dr he would fail some. There was a question he was asked saying "can you count down from 100" he would get to about 90 and skip down to say 60, skipping numbers.

My concern is when I goto the memory clinic he will perform well enough to pass the tests, I know that might be a good thing but my feeling is it would mask any dementia he might have, even if it's early stage. He hasn't been right for awhile and gets confused, I suppose a CT scan would show more and I will be pushing for that if I can.

#lovemymother

Feb 11, 2018
Hi Danny84
My mother initially had a memory test with the gp and didn't score well at all as none of it made sense to her that day. The mental health team nurse also did a test at mums home on what I would call a good day scoring 69/100 she scored very well in areas but in others it clearly indicated memory loss. The gp has since done another test and I was shocked how well she recalled things. What I am trying to say is, in my short experience with my mum, all three tests were done when mum was in three different frames of minds and each showed levels of memory loss. You could clearly see she once loved crosswords and puzzles too !

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Danny84
the diagnosis won't be on the test alone (education and a whole host of factors can affect how each individual does on the tests) - make a note of all your concerns for your father, any changes in his behaviour, abilities and understanding from 1,2,3 years ago and make sure the consultant and his GP have a copy, beforehand if possible, so they gain an more rounded picture of what's going on with your father than just the tests and scans will give

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My husband consistently scored higher on all his memory clinic visits than he did on the first one he had that was the indicator he had a problem.

His first was 23 out of 30 on the mini test which was, 13 years ago, regarded as borderline. His following tests were around 27/28 but the MRI scan, blood tests and his behaviour and decline showed the real story.

Danny84

Jan 30, 2018
Hi Danny84
My mother initially had a memory test with the gp and didn't score well at all as none of it made sense to her that day. The mental health team nurse also did a test at mums home on what I would call a good day scoring 69/100 she scored very well in areas but in others it clearly indicated memory loss. The gp has since done another test and I was shocked how well she recalled things. What I am trying to say is, in my short experience with my mum, all three tests were done when mum was in three different frames of minds and each showed levels of memory loss. You could clearly see she once loved crosswords and puzzles too !
Yes I suppose all the tests together tell the overall story. My father is like that, 1 minute he can have good memory and another time it's totally different.

Danny84

Jan 30, 2018
hi @Danny84
the diagnosis won't be on the test alone (education and a whole host of factors can affect how each individual does on the tests) - make a note of all your concerns for your father, any changes in his behaviour, abilities and understanding from 1,2,3 years ago and make sure the consultant and his GP have a copy, beforehand if possible, so they gain an more rounded picture of what's going on with your father than just the tests and scans will give
That puts me at ease a little knowing they won't go off the memory test alone. I've been writing things down in a notepad what he gets confused about and when he loses memory.

He has already had ECG and blood tests done which came back clear, the next stage it seems is the memory clinic, that's as far as we've got but I predict a long road ahead.

yorkie46

Jan 28, 2014
Southampton
Hi everyone, it was interesting to read everyone's thoughts and advice. My husband has been seen at the memory clinic three times and has just been referred again. I have been extremely unhappy with the result of previous visits, not just because no diagnosis was made but mainly because I don't feel that they were interested in anything I had told them. I have to say that it is incredibly difficult to tell a doctor in my husband's presence, how he is at home. If i say anything he doesn't like he says things like 'well you do that too' or 'well your memory isn't as good as it was'. When I've written things down for the doctors it seems to have been totally ignored. I have been dealing with this over the last three years attending memory clinic appointments, when the latest one arrived he thought he'd only been once before and wouldn't believe it was three times until I showed him the paperwork. I'm continually writing notes for doctors explaining how he is and how he's changed at home but it's like they don't really want to hear it. My current GP has been very gooand would have addressed the issues with him but I didn't want him to because y was concerned about the fallout. The GP was concerned for my health which I completely understand. My daughter has just taken my husband to a GP appointment because I'm unable to drive at thee moment. Before he left he asked me the name of our doctor! He's gone to do battle over sleeping tablets. I feel sorry for the doctor! I hope your experience of the memory clinic is better than mine, I'm afraid I'm rather disillusioned!

Danny84

Jan 30, 2018
@yorkie46 I'm sorry to hear that, that is the scenario I fear with my father, going there and them shrugging it off and not listening or him passing certain tests and they just go oh he's ok, tick the box and that's it.

Is it possible to be sent to a different memory clinic? It might be worth telling your Dr you've had a bad experience with the current 1 and you feel no one is listening. I know deep down when something isn't right with my father afterall I live with his 24/7 and known him all my life so I'm going to know more about how he generally is than a Dr and that will be the same for everyone.

It's probably best to raise your concerns with the GP though and take it from there.

yorkie46

Jan 28, 2014
Southampton
Hi Danny84, please don't worry, I've heard good reports of other memory clinics so hopefully yours will be good. I did mention this to the GP but I think its a case of you have to go to the one that serves your area. I'm going to speak to the GP on Wednesday about whether I should send any information in before this next appointment. The other issue is that we never see the same person which I don't feel helps. My husband admits that his memory is worse but he wouldn't admit to a lot of the other problems. I've half made my mind up that if he starts saying that i do things etc this time I will excuse myself from the room and go and sit in the car because I can't see any point in continuing. It may not be the best tactic but what would be the point in me relating the things he does and the issues if he doesn't accept them. I always go in hope that we see someone who can see how he really is and make a diagnosis. I have lived knowing my mothers vascular dementia for years, I think I know the signs, she's now 93 and in a care home.
I sincerely hope you have a good experience, please post and let me know.

UpToMe

Oct 10, 2017
Thank you for all those that replied.
I would also add that it was recommended that my Mum's doctor add my Mum's name to the surgery's dementia QOF register.
I looked this up online and it is "Quality Outcomes Framework" and is just a mechanism for doctor's surgeries to get more money!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ian.Hogan