Refusing to Wash - wits end

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Is your father wearing incontinence pads? not pull ups these are a nightmare to remove if wearing trousers.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @uktoday
I guess your dad is no longer recognising the signals his body gives him that he needs the toilet
have you contacted the continence nurse at his GP surgery?
definitely let the GP know
might you swap your dad's underwear for pull-ups (don't tell him, just take his pants and replace with pull-ups - if he notices make up some excuse and apologise that these are all that is in the house until you have a chance to shop) - tear down the sides to remove used pull-ups so no need to remove the trousers before taking them off, though you will have to, to get a clean pair on
watch him carefully - I know my dad has signs when he needs to 'go' eg fidgeting, pulling at his trouser waist - and if you see any signs, guide him to the toilet, trying to keep clothes 'up' so at least the 'product' is contained - I appreciate that this will then require a good 'wash and brush up' which may not be easy either
maybe have a commode in a place easier/quicker to get to than the bathroom - or a potty on hand
does he 'go' at regular (!) times each day - anticipate that and take him to the toilet at that time in the hope he'll 'go'

uktoday

Jan 2, 2013
Is your father wearing incontinence pads? not pull ups these are a nightmare to remove if wearing trousers.
No. He isn't incontinent. He Just thinks the toilet is in the back room. Usually we guide him when he does need to go but there's been a handful of times he's gone on his own.

I'm completely unsure what to do as he won't change his clothes. Same clothes since before xmas now. Utterly reeks. Thinking it is time now he gets into a home but I don't think anyone will have him because of the aggression.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew Fargher