Reading material for dementia patients

JigJog

Nov 6, 2013
Library Resources

Hi,

I went to a talk at my local memory cafe given by a librarian. She said my local library had boxes of resources for people suffering from Dementia. These included some beautiful picture books on a whole range of subjects and also boxes of objects from the past for them to pick up and handle.

I would never have known had I not been to the Memory Cafe that particular day. Might be worth asking at your local library.

Aasha

Jan 1, 2012
Speke Liverpool
This might not be any good if your mum's concentration is very bad, but do you know about Quick Reads? They're very short complete stories written for people with literacy difficulties. Quite a few famous authors have written for them as they've been around for a while.

Can you tell me the site please ?
My husband has dementia and has just spend 4 weeks in hospital where the activity lady was amazing and said he enjoyed the reading hour they did twice a week , he is going back to his home tomorrow and I would like to start a reading hour for the residents that would like to take part but I am not sure where to get the short stories and poems they all seem to like .

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
I wondered if my new book of short stories might be of use to people on the forum. I will be sending a press release to the Alzheimers Society but in the meantime here's the link to my book written from my heart and experience.
bit.ly/sarahveness

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Can you tell me the site please ?
My husband has dementia and has just spend 4 weeks in hospital where the activity lady was amazing and said he enjoyed the reading hour they did twice a week , he is going back to his home tomorrow and I would like to start a reading hour for the residents that would like to take part but I am not sure where to get the short stories and poems they all seem to like .
Contact your local library, they often have lists of suitable books and are good at getting them together for you, library services are dying from lack of people using them.