Nose bleeds

Tiller Girl

May 14, 2012
i haven't posted on here for a very long time. Things have been progressing but at a very slow pace.

OH has mixed dementia..Alzeihmer /Vascular. He's had symptoms for about 6 yrs but was diagnosed 4 yrs ago. Over the past few months he's been quite confused, his memory is very short term now sometimes only minutes really.
For most of January he seemed to deteriorate quite quickly. One day he couldn't really understand what I was saying to him. Monday of this week was particularly bad confusion, not understanding me, disorientated. And to top it all he had 3 nosebleeds.

Tuesday he gets up and he was totally different. He was more with it, I didn't have the incessant questions, he seemed to understand me straightaway. I can honestly say it was a pleasure to be with him !

Over the last few days the old him is slowly returning. Unsure of anything and everything, questions etc.etc.

So what's people's opinions......did the nose bleeds have anything to do with it ? Has anyone else experienced a brief drastic improvement ?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Welcome back. It Could be he had an infection which then cleared. Otherwise it could be a step down in condition that is found with vascular dementia. When the latter occurs the person can bounce back, but not always to their previous level. Either way, I’m glad he is improving. Not too sure about the nose bleeds - maybe check with the GP about that in case it’s a sign of something more serious.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
My dad had nosebleeds for a while. It turned out to be due to high blood pressure. He'd been forgetting to take his pills and we hadn't realised.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
My husband has had massive nosebleeds as a result of taking warfarin and aspirin. The last nose bleed went for five hours and they were about to transfuse him when it finally stopped. He was in hospital overnight. The first nosebleed went for three hours and he required cauterisation of the small veins at the top of the nostril.

He has also had an internal bleed which was harder to treat and inoperable. Of course he is now off the aspirin.

None of these have had any impact on his Alzheimer's.

Tiller Girl

May 14, 2012
Thanks for your replies folks. He hasn't had anymore nose bleeds so I think it may have been just a one off. He is on aspirin so I'm assuming that may make nose bleeds a little worse.

whatshappened?

Apr 15, 2018
Hi, I came across this post looking for information on nose bleeds and vascular dementia. This has just happened with my dad who is in hospital in a gerontology ward due to diabetic foot complications. He has vascular dementia and was really declining, not holding any kind of coherent conversation, not eating but had 4 massive nosebleeds on Friday to the point where ENT doctors were called up and subsequently put a balloon in his nose to stem the bleeding. Following the bleeds he is talking better and there is some coherence. He has also said he has an appetite and has eaten some soft food. I too wonder if this improvement is connected to the nose bleeds. It is really strange, but it was lovely to be able talk to him.