Working with dementia

Lou16

Jan 24, 2018
I cared for my grandma from the age of 14 with dementia, I’m 16 now and sadly she passed away 1 month ago today. Ive been in dementia care homes since putting my grandma in one and I became very fond of the other residents as many people do I’m sure. I would really love to go into the dementia sector as they’ve shown me so much, they are amazing people. I’m wondering if anyone knows of any job titles I could possibly look into?
I couldn’t be a carer/ senior/ nurse/RMN because I couldn’t do the personal side of it (washing, toilet ect) but I could look into any other jobs
Thanks for reading,I hope someone could help me
Lou x

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
the best thing to do is to talk with your school/college career advisor as they will have a lot of information on the qualifications you could obtain and careers in the care sector
even if you have left school, contact them and ask to have a chat - especially as your school pastoral team will be well aware of your caring background
have a look at the website of your local college as that will have lots of information on courses
getting a good general education will stand you in good stead, so a variety of GCSEs and then A levels or other vocational qualifications would look good on a job application
here's a link to the main AS site - it will show you some of the work AS staff undertake
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/...803.24493280.1517060452-1909556355.1516185753
and this links to their volunteering section
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/...126.24493280.1517060452-1909556355.1516185753

Last edited:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I cared for my grandma from the age of 14 with dementia, I’m 16 now and sadly she passed away 1 month ago today. Ive been in dementia care homes since putting my grandma in one and I became very fond of the other residents as many people do I’m sure. I would really love to go into the dementia sector as they’ve shown me so much, they are amazing people. I’m wondering if anyone knows of any job titles I could possibly look into?
I couldn’t be a carer/ senior/ nurse/RMN because I couldn’t do the personal side of it (washing, toilet ect) but I could look into any other jobs
Thanks for reading,I hope someone could help me
Lou x
What about Activities coordinator? O, Care Homes also need Administration staff, cleaning staff, chefs - the Head Chef at my husband's Nursing Home was fantastic, and had a very responsible job, with all the varied diets to provide (soft diet, puréed diet etc), yet he made sure each resident's appetite was tempted by favourite foods and treats, well presented.

Why don't you talk to the Careers Guidance staff member at your school?

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
We have Dementia Navigators here who help those with dementia and their carers to access memory cafes, day centres and suchlike. They also advise on benefits and form filling.
As LadyA and Shedrech have said you should speak to your school or careers service, but it's a valuable option.

Lou16

Jan 24, 2018
the best thing to do is to talk with your school/college career advisor as they will have a lot of information on the qualifications you could obtain and careers in the care sector
even if you have left school, contact them and ask to have a chat - especially as your school pastoral team will be well aware of your caring background
have a look at the website of your local college as that will have lots of information on courses
getting a good general education will stand you in good stead, so a variety of GCSEs and then A levels or other vocational qualifications would look good on a job application
here's a link to the main AS site - it will show you some of the work AS staff undertake
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/...803.24493280.1517060452-1909556355.1516185753
and this links to their volunteering section
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/...126.24493280.1517060452-1909556355.1516185753

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I left school when I was 9 due to bullying and was home schooled ever since. I can only do Home courses as I can’t go back into a school. NCC Home learning do have most courses to do with dementia and u do get NVQ’s now RQF’s as a result!

Lou16

Jan 24, 2018
What about Activities coordinator? O, Care Homes also need Administration staff, cleaning staff, chefs - the Head Chef at my husband's Nursing Home was fantastic, and had a very responsible job, with all the varied diets to provide (soft diet, puréed diet etc), yet he made sure each resident's appetite was tempted by favourite foods and treats, well presented.

Why don't you talk to the Careers Guidance staff member at your school?

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I left school at the age of 9 and been home schooled ever since. I can only do Home courses. Thank you for your ideas.
Lou x

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
whether you have been educated at home or in a school, your local further education college will be able to help you - they are set up to take students who have few or no formal qualifications and their courses are geared to helping students gain experience and qualifications from a basic level onwards
the tutors are used to supporting students of every background and ability, so maybe contact your local college and ask to have a chat with one of the staff involved with admissions - I think you'll find them more than willing to help you
college is a very different environment from school, the tutors treat students as individuals and as young adults - so think of giving it a go

Sammie234

Oct 7, 2016
Shropshire
Maybe see if you could access College courses anyone can access them you don’t have to have been in school to do so, saying that it’s been a while since I did a college course but I picked up 3 A levels doing so.