Advice needed on Laundry

charleyfarley

Mar 28, 2008
surrey
I am sure there must be someone who can give me some advice and have had the problem I have. I just cannot seem to get rid of the smell of urine in my husbands clothes. I have tried everything I can think of and been advised to do from the carers at the assestment ward my husband is on. which include soaking in vinegar, bicarb,using various detergents and using that stuff you sterilise baby bottles with.I have even tried squirting with frebeze. I wash on a 40 degree cycle, some things I have washed twice and still cannot get ridof the smell. The problem is I think he has an "accident" either during the night or early morning and the clothes are left in a bag in the bathroom until I pick them up (the same day as I go everyday) then of course the smell seeps into the other clothes. I put them into soak as ssoon as I get home and leave them till the next day when I pick the next lot up and then wash them all together. Its driving me mad and dont know what to do next. I know it must sound trivial but its bad enough to be in there and suffering without having to put on smelly clothes.
Look forward to some helpful advice. Carole x

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Dear Carole .... with my mum recently in hospital/hospice and NH care - I sadly came to realise that some items of laundry I picked up daily were so soiled they were 'beyond redemption'. (I have always refused laundry facilities preferring to do mum's washing myself). Even now, I provide lots of individual plastic bags (not sure how safe that is on an assessment ward) but if mum's underclothes or nightclothes are heavily soiled the staff in the NH know to 'store' them separately from other washing in her laundry basket ... but as you know - a couple of hours especially in warm weather and the stench and germs just manifest ....... if you are not there to pick them up and get them 'into soak' immediately ... no chance ....

Just one idea? Are you sure the smell has not been eradicated? Or how much do you expect it? How much has it 'permeated' your own expectations? Horrid subject, but I know from mum's illness, if I arrive at the 'wrong time' the stench from her bathroom and soiled clothing can be awful ..... quickly cleared up - but the 'smell' lives with me .... long after the room has been cleaned and disinfected ....

I would look at the cost and effort of laundering absolutely everything compared with the option of replacing ....and yes, much of mum's 'label' clothing is necessarily being replaced by 'cheap and cheerful' but practical and fresh alternatives .....

Love, Karen, x

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
What I've used is borax. I don't know what it's called in the UK but it really works in getting rid of urine oodor. Just half a cup in with the detergent and the odour is gone.

One caveat - if a lot of the clothing are made from synthetics, it might not work as well. Synthetics seem to hold all odours must more quickly and thoroughly than natural fibres. I started buying as many natural fibres as I could, with the preference being cotton.

twinone

May 19, 2008
england
Hi Karen

Before Steve was taken into hospital he had an accident in the bedroom, he couldnt make it to the toilet on time.

Even though the carpet has been scrubbed and cleaned I can still smell the urine. Nobody else can smell it.

I think you are right when you say the smell lives with you.

Love
Janet

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I use Concentrated disinfectant Triple Action Citrus Fresh, Fragrant and antibacterial "Zoflora"

I pour some into the compartment of the washing machine with the washing powder,

It leaves mum clothes , sheets that she always wetting smelling very fragrant fresh, leaving no trace of that lingering urine smell on mum clothes, or sheets .( I wash mum clothes, sheets on a color run 60 ) You can get it in different fragrant smells.

Its also great for getting ride of that urine smell in the toilet mum uses, also for washing toilet, and toilet floor . The "Zoflora" also leaves a long lingering lovely smell all over the house , when I use it to clean all mum toilet floor .

I also put clean hot water in a bucket in mum bathroom pour, some Zoflora into it , which make mum toilet smell very nice,also if toilet floor needs to be mop in , its mop with the Zoflora in it .

PS

I also get an empty bottle of spray . Fill it up part water part Zoflora , when mum wets the bed, I spray Zoflora on the bed proctor wash it down with that , taking the urine smell away .also if mum wets her chair I wash the covers , then spray the Zoflora all over mum chair wiping it down .

In spray bottle I make It does go white color, then when left it go brown color , But I give it a shake & the lovely smell never leaves the spray .

I have wood flooring , so wash the floor where mum wets with Zoflora .

I have tried so many things to get rid of the urine smell in the past year half since mum been wetting herself , but all that work for me is Zoflora .

Last edited:

sammyb

Sep 19, 2007
Nottingham
I love TP! It always gets to the nitty gritty of things. Who else could you ask about the smell of urine in clothes?!!??

I think maybe the smell lingers in the mind when it may have gone from the clothes. I was ironing a pair of laddo's pyjamas the other day and had convinced myself they smelled of urine which would date back to his time in hospital seeing as he hasn't wet himself in 6 months. They have been through the washer at least once a week since then so I don't really think I could smell it. Either that or I am a lousy laundress!

Love from Sammyb

charleyfarley

Mar 28, 2008
surrey
laundrey probs

Thanks everybody for your advice. I couldnt find where I had posted this and had to look on my profile and see all my posts! Not very good at this am I! I think I might be over sensitive to the "smells" but think I have solved it with soaking them in Napisan before I wash them. But I will try the borax and Zoflora as they will be a cheaper method. I couldn't afford to replace the clothes if they were badly soiled with faeces I probably would though. The staff do put them in plastic bags,but as they have been there since early morning by the time I visit then get home they are a bit ripe!
I am upset that he has become this way since going in there and when I visit I take the belt off that they fasten him up with so he cannot get into his pants and keep an eye out for signs he wants to go and he always does when I encourage him or remind him where to go.If he ever does come home (which I am seriously beginning to doubt) I am hoping with some luck I would be able to get him back in to the habit of going himself again. He hates it when they toilet him and shouts and gets aggressive, but when I take him he is okay most of the time. I just wish I could bring him home and look after him myself. Once again many thanks for the help and advice and sorry I have been a long time answering Carole x

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I was reading some of your past post .

I am wondering how did your husband get on with the medication called Amulspride , did it help with the aggressions?

If he ever does come home (which I am seriously beginning to doubt

Is your husband in a care home or an assessment ward ?

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
The staff do put them in plastic bags,but as they have been there since early morning by the time I visit then get home they are a bit ripe!
I am upset that he has become this way since going in there and when I visit I take the belt off that they fasten him up with so he cannot get into his pants and keep an eye out for signs he wants to go and he always does when I encourage him or remind him where to go.If he ever does come home (which I am seriously beginning to doubt) I am hoping with some luck I would be able to get him back in to the habit of going himself again.

That is it, a reminder. That is what is needed. To go to the loo.
And then it happen's, remind enough, it work's:D
As for the smell. never had a problem with that. Wash the clothes as quickly as possible, no smell.:)
Barb & Ron XX

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi, not posted in ages, but I am using napisan or similar baby nappy solution. I rinse any soiled, wet garments etc, make up a bucket as per instructions on pack add garments and leave overnight. It doesn't as yet appear to take out the colours of the garments, but sanitises and removes any persistant stains. I then tip bucket into sink, wring out garments and wash in washing machine as per normal. Works for me on mum in laws stuff anyway. Love to all, She. XX

SkiTTish

Sep 13, 2008
Just a really good biological powder ,we use Arial (+ a nice softner) and put on a prewash + wash at 60deg , gets rid of all smells here
If clothes are heavily soiled with solid matter I just soak in a bucket of plain water and a drop of disinfectant or ace bleach first for a couple of hours