Disturbed nights

worldtraveller

May 14, 2008
West Midlands
I am finding it harder and harder to get a good night's sleep because my wife (who has FTDementia), whilst very calm by day, becomes quite restless at night. So far her record is getting up 19 times! It is always the same pattern; she goes to the toilet, washes her hands and then returns to bed only to do the same a few minutes later until (presumably) exhaustion sets in and she falls asleep. Occasionally she will get up and start to get dressed even though it is the 'middle of the night').She has been prescribed Temazipan and though it works some nights, on others (despite a 30mg dose) it seems to make little difference except that she is extremely dozy in the morning.I've tried routines, like taking a hot water bottle to bed with her or having a warm milky drink before she goes to bed, but they don't seem to help. I am very conscious, for the sake of my own health, that I cannot become a 24-hour carer . Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks everyone!

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Sorry not to be able to help, as you seem to have covered all the usual things to no avail.

Perhaps its time to go back to the GP and explain that the Temazipan is not really working, especially if it leaves her dozy some mornings.

Trial and error sometimes to find the right seditive, but your rest is important to enable you to continue caring.

Please let us know how things go.

Edited to add: I will move your thread into the main section as it is a general problem.
Maybe someone else will have better suggestion.

worldtraveller

May 14, 2008
West Midlands
Update

Thank you Connie,
Her doctor has prescribed Zopiclone as an alternative to Temazipan. I'll let you know how we get on.

Sorry not to be able to help, as you seem to have covered all the usual things to no avail.

Perhaps its time to go back to the GP and explain that the Temazipan is not really working, especially if it leaves her dozy some mornings.

Trial and error sometimes to find the right seditive, but your rest is important to enable you to continue caring.

Please let us know how things go.

Edited to add: I will move your thread into the main section as it is a general problem.
Maybe someone else will have better suggestion.

Dgirl

Sep 6, 2007
Dublin, Ireland
Don't know if this helps but when my Mum when through a period of not sleeping through the night we gave her a small glass of red wine mixed with water. She's not a drinker so not used to alcohol but it certainly did the trick night after night after night and she sleeps right through

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
having a warm milky drink before she goes to bed,

That could be what making your wife get up to go to the toilet during the night, unless it was happening before you started to give your wife a drink before bedtime .

she goes to the toilet, washes her hands and then returns to bed only to do the same a few minutes later until (presumably) exhaustion sets in and she falls asleep.

What time do you give your wife the drink , before she go to bed ?

Really no one should be getting up in the middle of the night to go to toilet, unless they have a bladder problem so am wondering is your wife diabetic ?

also when was your wife last check for a routine urine test ?

Or is you wife going to the toilet , but not using the toilet ?

Last edited:

worldtraveller

May 14, 2008
West Midlands
Thanks

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. The idea of a milky drink came from the medical people who are supporting us. I believe her going to the toilet is habitual/obsessional, because she doesn't 'do' anything most of the time. She had a urine test (negative) last week.Other advice was to remove from her sight anything connected with 'day', such as her comb, make-up, clothes etc. Her GP has changed the seditive to Zopiclone. So far we've had two much better nights.

That could be what making your wife get up to go to the toilet during the night, unless it was happening before you started to give your wife a drink before bedtime .

What time do you give your wife the drink , before she go to bed ?

Really no one should be getting up in the middle of the night to go to toilet, unless they have a bladder problem so am wondering is your wife diabetic ?

also when was your wife last check for a routine urine test ?

Or is you wife going to the toilet , but not using the toilet ?