DST Meeting

leicester61

Aug 26, 2012
Leicestershire
HI All
Just would like some advice and help, my friends mum is in hospital and has been since August 2017: she has dementia, and has declined significantly over the last few months, the discharge team have arranged a DST meeting next week, and are telling my friend that she has to find a home for her mum ASAP, my friend has found one that she likes but there is a small waiting list, the discharge team are saying that this is not good enough and she has to look elsewhere, even tho there aren’t many choices (as mum needs nursing care too) plus her dad needs to be able to visit, either bus or walking. My questions are, can the hospital force her to put her mum wherever, is there anything in the care act that would stop that, ( Sorry I’m not very knowledgeable on this). And also can anyone tell us what a DST meeting involves, plus can she take someone with her for support as the woman in the discharge team has been very intimidating.
Thanking you in advance
Suz x

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Yes, she can take someone for support, in fact it's a very good idea to take someone knowledgeable from the Carers Centre or Alzheimer's Society as an advocate. A DST meeting is a meeting to assess someone for CHC or FNC funding when entering a nursing home. CHC is extremely difficult to get but the FNC (Funded Nursing Care) fee of £155/week is practically a given for people being accepted for nursing care in a home.
You can find the checklist here: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ile/528272/Decision_Support_Tool_Amended.docx

The hospital will always put pressure on you as they want their bed back. However, he has the right to find suitable accommodation first. Best thing is to make the social worker your best friend as they should be helping you find a suitable place and also put pressure on the care homes to find a space. I made it very clear to our SW which homes I would accept and which I wouldn't, and he did his very best and succeeded.

leicester61

Aug 26, 2012
Leicestershire
Yes, she can take someone for support, in fact it's a very good idea to take someone knowledgeable from the Carers Centre or Alzheimer's Society as an advocate. A DST meeting is a meeting to assess someone for CHC or FNC funding when entering a nursing home. CHC is extremely difficult to get but the FNC (Funded Nursing Care) fee of £155/week is practically a given for people being accepted for nursing care in a home.
You can find the checklist here: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ile/528272/Decision_Support_Tool_Amended.docx

The hospital will always put pressure on you as they want their bed back. However, he has the right to find suitable accommodation first. Best thing is to make the social worker your best friend as they should be helping you find a suitable place and also put pressure on the care homes to find a space. I made it very clear to our SW which homes I would accept and which I wouldn't, and he did his very best and succeeded.

Thank you for that info, she doesn’t have a social worker. The main problem is this person saying that not only has my friend got to find other homes as well, but she wants proof of that !!!
I really can’t believe that they can say that .
Suz x

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
If she is in hospital then there are hospital social workers who should be involved in her discharge anyway. Find them and speak to them. If a person with dementia who is expected to go into a nursing home hasn't been allocated one then that's the hospital's negligence. Make a fuss.

leicester61

Aug 26, 2012
Leicestershire
If she is in hospital then there are hospital social workers who should be involved in her discharge anyway. Find them and speak to them. If a person with dementia who is expected to go into a nursing home hasn't been allocated one then that's the hospital's negligence. Make a fuss.
Thank you for that xx

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa