How to locate private live in help ?

abby

Dec 19, 2006
West Country
Other than scouring through mags looking for adverts, is there a register with this info anywhere does anyone know?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Probably not. I can only suggest The Lady - that was always the place these sort of things were posted (assuming it's still in business).

abby

Dec 19, 2006
West Country
Hi jenniferpa long time no speak my friend.....;)
Bought Lady and some.....and called all....some 'would work with elderly but not Dementia of any kind ' :confused::eek:
Some accents Dad wouldn't of understood with his impaired hearing. And the rest don't like the sound of the beautiful West Country......
Some who had been in the country a couple of years were demanding £800 a week min despite having no CRB and min references!

God feel like I am banging my head on a brick wall......This disease will kill me and I aint a sufferer !

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hi Abbey, feel for you in this situation. Like Jennifer I would have suggested 'The Lady'.

God feel like I am banging my head on a brick wall......This disease will kill me and I aint a sufferer !

Well we can't have that. Off the top of my head I suggest, approach any/ all local care agencies. State your case fully and ask advice. They may not offer that sort of care but.....they may know who does.

There has to be some agency out there somewhere. You cannot be the only one who needs/wants care in the home.

Feel for you. Let us know how you get on.

(Let me have any info you receive - I shall sell it on - split the proceeds - we could end up in profit.:D:):D:))

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Well I do know someone who cobbled together 24/7 care for someone who was wheelchair bound. She ended up with 3 sometimes 4 people: each one was supposedly on 12 hours in a rotating pattern. Have you considered approaching your local job centre? I don't know but I would think with the increase in direct payments for everyone more and more "aides" or whatever you want to call them would be necessary. Actually that's an idea - contact whoever deals with direct payments at your LA and find out how they suggest their clients source such helpers. Ask everyone you know (I expect you already have).

Good luck

abby

Dec 19, 2006
West Country
Connie, bless you, you make me roar ! TY. That aside, have looked at agencies ands aside from the overinflatted costs, I want someone who personally wants to take on the role...not because it's ' their next job '

jenniferpa...take on board your comments, but my hope is to find a live in companion / carer for most of the week and we as family do the rest. Happy to provide all carer needs, broadband, sky, whatever to make it home for them....but just can't find anyone.

Despite Dad's decline I will do whatever I can to keep him in his own home, as he wants.

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Well I'm sure you'll be more reasonable/generous than a posting I saw on craigslist over here: they were offering room and board in return for providing 24/7 care for stroke victim. They offered 1 week day off a week plus one weekend afternoon AND you were supposed to provide your own car with room for a wheelchair. No salary - that was it. Mind boggling. You say you've responded to ads - have you thought about placing your own ad? That way you can be quite clear about what's required and what you provide.

abby

Dec 19, 2006
West Country
Having exhausted all ' vacancies ' yes placing ad is next option. Just thought I would check here first as personal recommendations are worth their weight in gold. Money not the issue, the right person is.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Have you considered approaching your local job centre?

I've seen those advertisements at my local Job center plus
government web site . Asking for a live in carer paying them £150 a week .

Also other ones , less hours . I was Just being nosy wondering how much a live in carer cost .

courtney

Sep 9, 2008
Pembrokshire
Hi,

Hope I can help, Just managed to get 24/7 live in care for my Mother, thought the local authority would never go for the funding untill we got a price back from this company and I think we were all shocked at the level of care at such a good price.
Hope they can help you. www.helpinghandshomecare.co.uk.

Best regards,
Courtney