Treatment in the community

JigJog

Nov 6, 2013
Hi,

My OH has just returned back to his care home after a spell in hospital with Sepsis. He hates hospitals, is terrified of them and needles. Although I stayed with him the entire time, it was a traumatic time for him. He was anxious, agitated and frightened. Nights were spent tapping, slapping and rattling the bed rail. It was horrible to witness. The consultant was unwilling to prescribe medication to help his agitation.

Now I am home and he is settled back down, I am thinking about the future. I know for many, it becomes one infection after another with frequent stays in hospital. I can't bear the thought of him having to go through this again. It's cruel. He wouldn't want it if he could say.

I have LPA for health and welfare. Is it possible for me to request treatment in the care home only rather than going to hospital? How would I do that? Is it complicated?

I'd be grateful for any pointers with this please. I'd hate to see him go through all of this again.

JigJog x

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
I would encourage you to talk to the care home and his GP/attending physician about your concerns, which are understandable.

In my mother's case (lives in a care home, had a fall last year with a resulting break, surgery, and long stay in rehab and then an infection), I've decided no more trips to hospital unless there is a broken bone, or other compelling reason for treatment to alleviate pain. I will decide treatment for infections and so on, on a case by case basis. Right now I'm okay with an oral antibiotic that her care home can administer, but not likely to want to admit her to hospital for IV treatment. I've just found out she has cataracts that need surgery and if possible, we will have those repaired, but it's always a struggle to know what to do.

My mother's care home has their own paperwork and protocols that they follow, in case of illness or injury, in addition to the government requirements. It's more complicated and comprehensive than I would have expected, the first time they explained it to me. This is why i would talk to the care home now, while things are stable. The most difficult time to make a decision, is in a crisis or urgent situation, when you haven't thought things through and don't know the procedure.

Best wishes. None of this caring business is easy.

JigJog

Nov 6, 2013
I would encourage you to talk to the care home and his GP/attending physician about your concerns, which are understandable.

In my mother's case (lives in a care home, had a fall last year with a resulting break, surgery, and long stay in rehab and then an infection), I've decided no more trips to hospital unless there is a broken bone, or other compelling reason for treatment to alleviate pain. I will decide treatment for infections and so on, on a case by case basis. Right now I'm okay with an oral antibiotic that her care home can administer, but not likely to want to admit her to hospital for IV treatment. I've just found out she has cataracts that need surgery and if possible, we will have those repaired, but it's always a struggle to know what to do.

My mother's care home has their own paperwork and protocols that they follow, in case of illness or injury, in addition to the government requirements. It's more complicated and comprehensive than I would have expected, the first time they explained it to me. This is why i would talk to the care home now, while things are stable. The most difficult time to make a decision, is in a crisis or urgent situation, when you haven't thought things through and don't know the procedure.

Best wishes. None of this caring business is easy.
Amy

Amy, thank you so much for your reply. It reassures me that it can be done. I’ve just called the GP and I’m going to talk to him at the end of the week. I’ll then sit down with the care home and take things forward from there.

As you say, it’s best to sort things during a period of calm before the next crisis.

Thank you!
JigJog x

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
You are most welcome. I hope you have a good conversation with the GP and everyone else concerned and that you get some relief. The hospital stay sounds like it's not just stressful, but torturous, for your OH. All I ever want to accomplish is to spare my mother anxiety and distress as much as possible. I can't imagine what this must be like for you. I can absolutely understand, not wanting forther hospital stays.

Just as a friendly warning, and not to distress you, but some of the conversation and questions and scenarios may be detailed and graphic and potentially upsetting. I am reasonably good with medical terminology and situations, but I was taken off guard and distressed by the first conversation I had on this topic, with my mother's care home. Again, not to upset you in advance, just to give you fair warning.

Best wishes.

JigJog

Nov 6, 2013
You are most welcome. I hope you have a good conversation with the GP and everyone else concerned and that you get some relief. The hospital stay sounds like it's not just stressful, but torturous, for your OH. All I ever want to accomplish is to spare my mother anxiety and distress as much as possible. I can't imagine what this must be like for you. I can absolutely understand, not wanting forther hospital stays.

Just as a friendly warning, and not to distress you, but some of the conversation and questions and scenarios may be detailed and graphic and potentially upsetting. I am reasonably good with medical terminology and situations, but I was taken off guard and distressed by the first conversation I had on this topic, with my mother's care home. Again, not to upset you in advance, just to give you fair warning.

Best wishes.

I'm so grateful for this warning Amy. I can imagine the kind of conversation needed now you've said that, but I would certainly have been taken off guard without your help. Thank you.

It's the GP tomorrow and an appointment with the care home to set things up on Tuesday. There is no way is he going through that again.

So glad I posted now. You've been a massive help. Thank you!

JigJog x