Grandad and deterioration?

SamanthaJ94

Jan 22, 2018
Hi all, im new to this forum so bare with me. My partner and I live with my grandad who has vascular dementia. He will be 98 on 01/02 and is physically really fit. He has recently in the past week been getting up between 12-3am, having a wash and shave and getting dressed. He says people are outside in the street waking him up, on one occasion said there was someone outside playing bagpipes and is absolutely adamant that the military won't leave him alone. He has had a blood test done and results have come back normal, I'm going to take a sample of urine to the Drs incase of a UTI. If the urine sample comes back okay, is this a sign of deterioration and further confusion? This evening he asked my partner for the phone number for his house because he said he was with his mother yesterday in Edinburgh and only came here (his home) yesterday. Is this delusions and/or hallucinations? Is there anything I can do? TIA x

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @SamanthaJ94
welcome to TP
from what you describe, I'd be checking for a UTI as well, and having a chat with your granddad's GP just to put them in the picture in case some meds may help
I guess you found a way round giving the phone number .... maybe saying you'll have to rootle out your address book as you don't know it by heart and give them a call in the morning but they know you're visiting here so they won't be worried ... and then distract with a treat
bagpipes outside ...!! ... maybe call out the window that they've got the wrong house so try the next street ...??? - at least he'll know you've sent them packing
and getting up - might you say it's weekend so no need to go to work, have a lie in and will call in a few hours for a lovely breakfast ...