Attendance allowance assessment

spitfire1

Feb 3, 2015
Hi this is my first post. My husband was diagnosed 3 and 1/2 years ago. I recently gave up work to look after him full time and have applied for attendance allowance for him. Have had a tel call from dwp today saying would like to visit to assess him. What more do they need to know as have already written on paper work sent?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @spitfire1
don't worry - it seems that DWP just like to make a home visit if it's possible - some other members have mentioned this and found the experience none threatening (though sorry, I can't remember particular instances)

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
This happened to mum. I think it was triggered because I had asked to be her appointee for DWP.
The man who came out was lovely and really helpful. I had expected a jobsworth, but he was not.

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
New South Wales Australia
Luckily or strangely - my husband with D loves doctors , nurses, dentists - most attention actually - and behaves well for them usually making jokes about his minder - me. We all avoid the D word and speak in odd ways to avoid worrying him - but as long as he is the centre of attention he is pretty content !! Thankfully

spitfire1

Feb 3, 2015
This happened to mum. I think it was triggered because I had asked to be her appointee for DWP.
The man who came out was lovely and really helpful. I had expected a jobsworth, but he was not.
Hi canary I think u are probably right with the appointee as when I applied I didn't have lpa in place

callydrew

Sep 21, 2017
My daughter who has like me Power of Attorney for my husband applied for a Carers Allowance on my behalf 5 weeks ago and I have not heard a word yet. I could do with getting an allowance so that I could get someone in whilst I am at WI or a WI committee meeting.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
My daughter who has like me Power of Attorney for my husband applied for a Carers Allowance on my behalf 5 weeks ago and I have not heard a word yet. I could do with getting an allowance so that I could get someone in whilst I am at WI or a WI committee meeting.
Unfortunately 5 weeks is not a long time in the wait for an AA decison. If successful it will be backdated.

Good Luck.:)